Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

hello guys, noob from singapore

Go down

hello guys, noob from singapore Empty hello guys, noob from singapore

Post  Guest Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:13 am

Hey guys, got myself XRR awhile ago but rarely ride them due to work commitment. Got into this forum with lots of detail to follow up. My XRR is stock. need to uncork but have to purchase the jetting. still learning on the XRR.. Singapore is way to far and little place to play with. will post pic.

Back to top Go down

hello guys, noob from singapore Empty Re: hello guys, noob from singapore

Post  Mauser Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:03 pm

Welcome to the best forum in town
Mauser
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:21 am

Lolo,

Welcome, as Mauser says this is a good forum.
You say you "need" to uncork still - you're sure about this? Depends on where your bike did come from, as some markets got the real deal, Eu for instance.
But easy to check, I'd open the lhs-sidepanel (the airfilter-side) and check if the 2 plastic inserts are not present. If not present yours is 'open', but if there..... yeah, get the corkscrew-parts Smile
In any case, besides being a good idea it's also fun to open things (eg carb) and see what's what. Have fun!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:57 am

hey burp, the filter insert still intact. can i remove that without changing the jetting.. will it works? cause it will take awhile for me to order the jetting from US.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:38 am

Lolo,

Bitta bad news: there's TWO inserts to be removed!
If I remember correctly 1 has a hole in through which the engine 'breaths' (which will become larger if you pop it out entirely of course), the other one is a blanking-plug which, by popping-out, will create a second hole/opening.
But first & foremost: your bike is a restricted model, at least you now know you have to check a few things, but also that you can improve quite a bit....... hey, assuming you like tinkering?
I'd not change anything (I presume it's running fine now) before you have those goodies you'll need. No biggie to ride it as is I suppose.

You better check the whole kaboodle, make sure you know what you have got!
If you do not know what to check pls ask (here?), you'll get answers.

I'd start taking the carb off, note down all the jet-sizes & needle-number (& clip-position) so you'll know what you've got hence can order accordingly.
But also, look in/at the rubber carb2head mounting - has it a vertical "slot" or is it a full round opening? The latter you need, you can either cut2size or get the proper part (I'd do the latter and keep the 'old' one as a spare).
Then there's the anti-smog rubbish, mounted to the RHS radiator. This you can take off now, completely, however do close the vacuum-nipple on the intake port. Also, you either buy the blanking-off thingy, to close the holes where the 2 pipes are now (on the exhaust ports), or you make something yourself for this.
Next look at your exhaust headers - have they got a thinner-than-the-rest piece of pipe in them, directly after they leave the head? If so you may want to buy an unrestricted header-set, there's plenty for sale. Not immediately required for uncorking but still worthwhile to do.
Then the silencer.... there's many options here, but if you've got the un-opened standard restricted one you need to at least fiddle with it, drill it out according to a procedure somewhere on the net (don't have a link here). And yeah, this will make it more noisier too (duh!).

The above basically - INcluding correct jetting mind! - is the uncorking process, but there's lots more you can do, mounting an 'opened' sidepanel for instance.
If you haven't already start reading & learning about this bike, even stupid things like checking the oil (no, not a joke) and starting this bike (fooooking easy once you know how). Next is to check on its weak/vulnerable points (grease in various parts, clutch-bush, fork oil, dual oil strainers etc), and then I'd put some nice goodies on which you are going to want....... but that is an entirely new thread Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:52 am

Lolo,

you seem to be in the same (sheeet) position as I am, you'll have to order from the US, pay a lot for postage etc, then wait, and maybe you've got to pay additional importation taxes once it arrives (as I have to do).

Go to the XR-Only website, and find this bike's specific webpage(s) - you will see an astonishing amount of things you may want but some of which you actually may need!
I'd order this lot in 1 go, saving on your postage fees as well as getting the lot complete in a single package.
Ah, no, no jets (as far as i know?), but most other above-mentioned stuff you'll find there.
I've had to learn that patience is actually a virtue Wink

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:54 am

Burp,

Good details you've given thou. Very specific what i required. Quite a number that i need to list down just to uncork ya. all i thought was just remove the 2 tap on the filter, a jetting 175 n68s with 3rd clip and an open diffuser. Seems interesting for me to play with.
Btw where do u stay, not in US i suppose. i saw some good stuff in ebay, gotta start purchasing thou.. Thanks alot for your input man. banana

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:37 am

You could get the parts from ebay cheaper and quicker, you need the carb isolator to replace the restricted 1, remove the airbox inserts x 2 dead easy and free to do and then rejet the carb, not difficult just buy a second hand carb from any European 650R and use the bits, slow jet main jet etc. My parts from honda cost £50 in total.
Mauser
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:43 am

Lolo,

check my avatar's det's - I'm also from 'down under', just the 'under' differs Wink
At home (now at work) I've got all Honda Part-numbers of all the jets you'll need - you can buy these from any dealer, including the correct carb2head mounting even, provided you've got the numbers. Shout if you want them? However, if your dealer's worth his salt he'll help you even without them, dunno.

Mauser's suggestion to buy a full carb I'd not do - at least, if my carb was in good nick. Take yours off Lolo, inspect it thoroughly, clean it absolutely perfectly..... and then decide what you want or need, a complete spare I don't deem necessary.
Especially because.... mine is spanking new (no, won't sell it), done less than 100 miles, and I have chucked it off.... Why? Easy, there's one waaayyyy better, the Mikuni TM40, a pumper (has got an acceleration pump which the std one does not have). This carb will make the not-slow bike react quickest, immediately, abrupt even - turn & GO, instead of turn & wait-a-bit-then-go (or stall-if-at-too-low-revs).
Maus also got one, I'm sure he'll concur.

If you PM me with an email-address I can send you an Excel-file containing lotsa de-corck info you probably want to have. Better still, it has tables with jetting-info pertaining to altitude & temperature, so, seeing where you live I'd say you do want this!
And on the helping bit: this is a forum specifically for this bike. You've got one, so we help - period! nice

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:59 pm

Here you go....
16211-MBN-640 CARB ISOLATOR £14.50

99101-357-1750 #175 MAIN JET £10

16012-MBN-641 MAIN NEEDLE £26.50

99105-MBN-0680 SLOW JET £11

All you need.
Mauser
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:36 am

Hey Burp and mauser,

Sorry guys, late reply. work work work. no surfing time.
Thats alot of details, ur ride must be freaking rip off ya. i have to try on singapore honda retailer wether they have XRR parts cause here in Sg there is only 8 XRR. so market for parts ain't easy. i'll be ordering the jets and diffuser from ebay but the isolator that will be replace by restrictor, i'm still clueless where is the location and some of the chimp(to me) parts that you guys said. Need a *XRR for dummies* handbook i guess. lol. cant wait to fiddle with it till the item comes in. Now i'm just salivating man. looking at yall picture with nice places to ride... Superb...!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:23 pm

Hi lolo try this link it shows some good stuff.
http://www.4strokes.com/tech/honda/uncork_brp/
Mauser
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down