Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2007 gets street legal...

Go down

2007 gets street legal... Empty 2007 gets street legal...

Post  Guest Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:30 pm

It looks about the same as it did when I started, but I did get it done:
Shocks got new springs and valves
Baja Designs tail/break light, new banjo bolt for the break light
Trail Tech Voyager GPS and sensors
RSW Racing Triple clamp, tall - a few complaints about this one
Pro Taper bars
A real skid plate
Converted the AC voltage to DC for headlight and horn.
Added the horn and a button
Renazco dual sport seat
Mirror
Street legal tires - Kenda
Unplugged
Had to lengthen the Clutch and compression release cables due to the new triple
Ended up rotating the throttle cables 90 degrees toward the rider, not sure I like that,
I may end up lengthening those cables as well.
Greased everything I could while it was apart.

Still to do: Clark 4.3 gal tank, bark busters, get a *%&$!!! swingarm wrench-thingie (anyone have a good source?)

In the beginning -
2007 gets street legal... P1011202

The end product!
2007 gets street legal... P1011209

2007 gets street legal... P1011216

2007 gets street legal... P1011214

Back to top Go down

2007 gets street legal... Empty Re: 2007 gets street legal...

Post  Guest Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:58 am

Nice bike!

Did you lengthen the cables or get new longer ones? I have the same issue and need to do something.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:39 am

Sorry to be so long getting back - I spent the last week in Moab and had no internet access what so ever... Not a bad thing at all.

About the cables, I went to a local shop: Epic Motosports and had them lengthen the cables rather than buying new ones. They did a fine job for me, too. By the way, I only added 3 inches to the original cable length, and it is plenty for my modifications. Cheaper than new cables. They also did the shocks for me - front and rear. Dropped off the shocks and the re-spring and re-valve price was really good. And after a week in Moab I can now say that they work really well, worth every penny. I'll try to get a few pics posted, at some point, from Moab. - Cheers !

Epic Motosports
1566 Vista View Drive
Longmont, CO 80504
(303) 485-1858

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:19 am

Thanks for the tip.

I was just in Moab two weeks ago.

Heres a link to the trip report. My friend creates these reports, the trip's name is because our other riding partners where in Baja. I'm Maverick with the bike with black rims and we where three XRRs. I broke my front hub and that was on the last day 10 pictures from the end. Cheers!

http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=974905

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed May 11, 2011 10:48 pm

Hello SMJ,
When you said get street legal, you mean mirror, horn and signal? I don't see them on the pics, I am getting mine this Friday but I wonder where I can find the kit to make it street legal? She is already blu plated but she doesn't have the mirror, horn and signal, does it make sense to you guys? Please any advice before I go and purchase her this weekend.

Thanks,

IBM

smj wrote:It looks about the same as it did when I started, but I did get it done:
Shocks got new springs and valves
Baja Designs tail/break light, new banjo bolt for the break light
Trail Tech Voyager GPS and sensors
RSW Racing Triple clamp, tall - a few complaints about this one
Pro Taper bars
A real skid plate
Converted the AC voltage to DC for headlight and horn.
Added the horn and a button
Renazco dual sport seat
Mirror
Street legal tires - Kenda
Unplugged
Had to lengthen the Clutch and compression release cables due to the new triple
Ended up rotating the throttle cables 90 degrees toward the rider, not sure I like that,
I may end up lengthening those cables as well.
Greased everything I could while it was apart.

Still to do: Clark 4.3 gal tank, bark busters, get a *%&$!!! swingarm wrench-thingie (anyone have a good source?)

In the beginning -
2007 gets street legal... P1011202

The end product!
2007 gets street legal... P1011209

2007 gets street legal... P1011216

2007 gets street legal... P1011214

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu May 12, 2011 4:48 am

If I were to look for one-stop shopping, I'd go with Baja Designs: https://www.bajadesigns.com/NET/C-164/HONDA For around $500 they sell a nice kit, makes any dirt bike look perfect. I have seen them on bikes at a local shop where they put'em together and then sell the result.

I, on the other hand, didn't do that... I didn't need the turn signals in Colorado so I didn't get them, didn't want them. Rather, I put on the Baja LED tail light, picked up a mirror at the local shop, bought a horn/lights switch off of ebay for 99 cents ($12 shipping...), bought a full wave bridge at Radio Shack and a Piezoelectric speaker (102 db siren) for the horn as well. I ran the tail lights and horn off the converted DCV, and left all the rest as it was. Added a few wires, of course, and that's about it. Seemed to work well enough for me. Oh, yeah, I added a 500 uF capacitor on the DC side, just for a bit of filter at idle. That, too, seems to work just fine. And the Voyager GPS of course, which is made to run off of AC so I left it off the AC side, rather than the DC side. I like the GPS - on the road it is good to know how fast one is going, off road it is fun to track ones travels. You can see the items mounted in these pictures. If you look at the one over the seat - on the left bars the mirror and horn switch is there. Brake switch is in the rear break - a new banjo bolt just behind the brake lever. The GPS is mounted mid bars. The "horn" and wires are stuffed in behind the headlight, which some day I might change up a bit, make it a bit more clean. The tail light just bolts in under the rear fender. I left the original XR tail light in place, so I run with two of them. The Baja tail light has clear LED's to light up the tag at night, which is nice - and the brake light is very visible. I didn't spend $500, even with the GPS. You can buy Baja turn lights for around $40 as separate items.

I suppose I could do greater details if wanted.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat May 28, 2011 11:37 pm

Nice Bike SMJ, I like the tool box on the back I want it where did you get this original Honda tool bag? How much was it?
TIA

IBM

smj wrote:If I were to look for one-stop shopping, I'd go with Baja Designs: https://www.bajadesigns.com/NET/C-164/HONDA For around $500 they sell a nice kit, makes any dirt bike look perfect. I have seen them on bikes at a local shop where they put'em together and then sell the result.

I, on the other hand, didn't do that... I didn't need the turn signals in Colorado so I didn't get them, didn't want them. Rather, I put on the Baja LED tail light, picked up a mirror at the local shop, bought a horn/lights switch off of ebay for 99 cents ($12 shipping...), bought a full wave bridge at Radio Shack and a Piezoelectric speaker (102 db siren) for the horn as well. I ran the tail lights and horn off the converted DCV, and left all the rest as it was. Added a few wires, of course, and that's about it. Seemed to work well enough for me. Oh, yeah, I added a 500 uF capacitor on the DC side, just for a bit of filter at idle. That, too, seems to work just fine. And the Voyager GPS of course, which is made to run off of AC so I left it off the AC side, rather than the DC side. I like the GPS - on the road it is good to know how fast one is going, off road it is fun to track ones travels. You can see the items mounted in these pictures. If you look at the one over the seat - on the left bars the mirror and horn switch is there. Brake switch is in the rear break - a new banjo bolt just behind the brake lever. The GPS is mounted mid bars. The "horn" and wires are stuffed in behind the headlight, which some day I might change up a bit, make it a bit more clean. The tail light just bolts in under the rear fender. I left the original XR tail light in place, so I run with two of them. The Baja tail light has clear LED's to light up the tag at night, which is nice - and the brake light is very visible. I didn't spend $500, even with the GPS. You can buy Baja turn lights for around $40 as separate items.

I suppose I could do greater details if wanted.
Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun May 29, 2011 1:56 am

bikerman - To be honest, it came with the bike. This means, it had to come from a Honda dealer in Montana... I lack more specifics. However, a quick search brought up a few being offered... Happy hunting !

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=honda+xr+fender+bag

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun May 29, 2011 12:40 pm

Smj,

I see you opted for the Renazco seat, by far, by a royal distance actually, the most costly option.
If my glasses are clean enough I see that you even went for the Suede option, mymy my man, you spent a lot!
Now, I am hoping that you've ridden it enough, mileswise, in the dry and in the wet, worse, climbed on it after having been parked in the rain..... would you buy it again?
I ask because I've sat on too many soggy seats already, with jeans of course, and absolutely detest that feeling Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun May 29, 2011 7:36 pm

BuRP - This is yet another example of letting someone else buy the bike before me... The last owner put that seat on the bike before I bought it. I would add to expense, it took a long time to come in, too. The guy I bought it from said he was waiting a lot longer than I would have waited for it to come in... That said, a couple observations about it -

The first time I rode it, I would have traded even up for an original seat. I got caught back a bit, hit the sand, and dumped it 'cause I could not slide my fat arse forward quick enough to get to where I was supposed to be... Caught sleeping on a boring part of the trail, well it got more exciting in a hurry. Almost got me again on a hill climb over loose soil and logs... But managed to hang on. The type of material of your ride pants matters. Wrong material, or right material depending on your view, and you will stick like you are glued to the bike. Now - I really like that. Was not expecting it though, those first couple rides.

It is wide at the back of the seat. At first I didn't like this very much, however, having been on a couple rides I like it better than I did. It is, no doubt, better than the stock seat for road portions of the ride, and it does narrow to the front enough that I don't notice it any more on trails. It is not as bomb proof on the road as I thought it would be, and not as "in the way" on trails as I thought it might be.

Yes, it gets wet and yes that really sucks. I agree with you on that one. Wet seats suck. Bad. It can take a while to dry it out, too. However, living on Colorado, usually we have enough low humidity that this is not awful. Things mostly dry quickly out here. Still, I have been wondering what to do for it - plastic cover for when I park it at work for the day... Mink oil? I mean to drop the maker an email about this and ask them what is best to do.

I would say that if you are young with good legs and stand a lot, don't spend the money. If you are older, and the legs are not what they once were, and you want a little more stability and comfort in the seat of your bike, it is really not a bad seat.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon May 30, 2011 11:23 am

SMJ,

Nice, thank you, you give an honest answer, much appreciated! I half & half expected you, because of the expense, to defend that seat to the hilt - so thank you for correcting me there.
That's a mixed bag of opinions you give, but in all you're happy with it. Taking into consideration that not you but the PO specced the seat that's an even bigger 'good', in fact I was sortof hoping for that!
Because, I actually am interested in that seat, getting one, or at least this brand. I'd go for their vinyl, for 2 reasons: lotsa sun here, and when it rains it rains properly! I've heard about their lead-time, and, being too far away I'd go for a new pan as well. No hurry at all, they may take as long as they want if/when I order.
And, on the getting-older bit, yeah, guilty as charged yer Honour Very Happy , and to top that off I sit a lot, only stand when the going really gets tough. Then of course the standard seat becomes a nicely shaped plank, I'm deciding still on what to do.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon May 30, 2011 3:32 pm

Hi BuRP - If you go with the vinyl seat, it should be the same as the original so far as "stickiness" goes. The suede can really stop you from sliding around and changing positions, at least when it is new. I am sure it will wear a bit with time, and the ride pants I have now seem to slide over the suede just fine. The first couple rides, I wore touring pants that are a soft material on the butt. On the plus side, once I put my butt where it belongs on rough trails, up at the tank, it didn't move an inch no matter what I went over. Rather like double sided tape on the seat... Anyway, I like nylon pants for this seat -but they are not as comfy as the touring pants over a longer ride.

I do not know what the seat cushion material is for the seat on my bike. It is firm, and when I first sit down I think to myself that this is really firm and not very cushy. Typically I ride with bicycle pants on under my ride pants - and this has not been an issue yet. Even after a full day at Moab - I get off the seat and do not feel like I have been on it all day in any way. (One has to like that.) This is way different from the seats on my WR426, or my 07 KLR650, or any other bike I've had. If I were having this seat made just for me - I would add a half inch of gel on the top of what ever foam is selected. My personal choice would be the foam that is on the seat right now - with that half inch of gel over it. The foam that is on it right now is firm for sure, enough so that at the end of the day you can not feel the frame under it. I think a half inch of gel, however, would make it really rock on the paved sections of a days ride. I would have also gone with a thicker layer of foam, for a bit taller saddle height. This saddle is stock height. A half inch of gel and another half inch of foam would be perfect, I think, from the saddle height and the paved ride point of view - for me. (I am 6' 4") I would also have gone with vinyl for a trail bike. On a road bike, I would probably stay with leather. (On a road bike, keeping a saddle cover for a rainy day is not a big deal.)

The workmanship is superb, really first class. I find no flaws at all.

Happy seat shopping, let us know what you end up with!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down