Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Moab Spring 2011

Go down

Moab Spring 2011 Empty Moab Spring 2011

Post  Guest Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:07 pm

A pal of mine came out to visit - we packed up two bikes and headed to Moab, Utah for a few days. The bikes were XR650R and a TTR225. I will say that the TTR is a great workhorse on the trail. Not much flash, no outstanding torque or speed, a bit heavy, but the thing is a tank. (It has been my daughters bike, Barry didn't care, it was a free ride!) Since Barry hadn't been on a bike for several years - we stuck to the easy stuff and here are a couple photos of what one might see in Moab - if you have not been there, you might consider going !

Moab Spring 2011 SAM_0010
Moab Spring 2011 SAM_0008
Moab Spring 2011 SAM_0034
Moab Spring 2011 SAM_0038
Moab Spring 2011 SAM_0240
Moab Spring 2011 SAM_0236
Moab Spring 2011 SAM_0234
Moab Spring 2011 SAM_0212
Moab Spring 2011 SAM_0202
Moab Spring 2011 SAM_0244
Moab Spring 2011 SAM_0194
Moab Spring 2011 SAM_0177
Moab Spring 2011 SAM_0152
Moab Spring 2011 SAM_0139
Moab Spring 2011 SAM_0130
Moab Spring 2011 SAM_0114
Moab Spring 2011 SAM_0069
Moab Spring 2011 SAM_0053

Back to top Go down

Moab Spring 2011 Empty Re: Moab Spring 2011

Post  Guest Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:42 pm

Absolutely stunning scenery!!!!
How did you get through this?

Moab Spring 2011 SAM_0139

Wink

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:03 pm

Nice pictures. banana

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:58 am

Hey BuRP - we did not ride through that gap! That said, I think I might have gotten through if I took the bars off. Maybe. Folded up the foot pegs... Maybe... We went a different way, it was fun exploring a bit.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:55 am

SMJ,

I was tempted to suggest you wheely through, slowly, the h/bars just high enough to clear the rocks either side. But if ever you touch & screw it up, your bike will remain there forever Cool
But seriously, this is country I would loooooove to explore, for days on end, with a short gearing to crawl there where normally no-one goes.
This simply must be a protected area, a nature reserve or something like that?
Anyway, thanks for posting this, it shows what places can be reached by bike!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:03 am

BuRP -

Yeah, the floor is almost pure sand. I think it would be hard to lift the front of the XR650R and squeeze through... Maybe though, but I am thinking it would end a bit different than one might like... Still, a trials bike might be a better choice for such moves! And yes, most of the country is protected to some extent, some spots won't allow any off road riding (Like Arches National Park). That said, there is a huge amount of room to take care of everyone. It is a huge mix of sand and rock. For rock riding, check out this video of Slickrock... We didn't get to that this trip, nor the last, but next time out I want to go! The video is not mine, so forgive me for posting a vid that is not mine, but it will give you an idea of what Slickrock is all about. I don't know anyone in the video either. Sorry. I kind of wish I still had my old YZ250F just for Slickrock... This is a trail system open to bikes, and well, see the youtube video for a hint of what it is all about. This year was my second trip to moab, I have yet to scratch the surface - last time it was the 100 mile White Rim trail (where the speed limit is posted at 15 mph, and a guy in a white jeep patrols it!) and Chicken Corners... On a KLR650. Might have a pic or two from that trip if you like. Cheers !

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:38 pm

I was just droolijng over som ADV Moab RRs. Thanks for sharing yours. Love to get down there in the fall to do the White Rim Trail.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:13 am

Make sure you check before you go... The White Rim trail is washed out on the west end. I was told rain washed it out - and it is in the area of the shelf trail that you need to leave by - so plan on twice the gas if you start from the east end... There are no gas stations along the way. For now, you'd have to ride it out and back. Also, in the middle of town there is an information center, they can show you on a map where the gap is. I think it is somewhere above, so to speak, Mineral Canyon Landing Strip. Be a bummer to start in the east, and then lack the gas to get back...

PS - 2 years ago a speed limit sign was posted out there, towards the west end. 15 mph. I should have taken a picture of it, but I thought it was a joke. It is not. There is a guy out there in a white jeep looking for those who speed, or have an open seal. Take care, and beware the white jeep... We saw him, went past him at 15 mph. All I can say is that he has a radio. For an open seal in a jeep, they call a helicopter to take you to jail. A real pain, and no joke. If they fix the trail, I wouldn't mind doing the rim again myself - let me know if you want company!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:45 am

smj wrote:Make sure you check before you go... The White Rim trail is washed out on the west end. I was told rain washed it out - and it is in the area of the shelf trail that you need to leave by - so plan on twice the gas if you start from the east end... There are no gas stations along the way. For now, you'd have to ride it out and back. Also, in the middle of town there is an information center, they can show you on a map where the gap is. I think it is somewhere above, so to speak, Mineral Canyon Landing Strip. Be a bummer to start in the east, and then lack the gas to get back...

PS - 2 years ago a speed limit sign was posted out there, towards the west end. 15 mph. I should have taken a picture of it, but I thought it was a joke. It is not. There is a guy out there in a white jeep looking for those who speed, or have an open seal. Take care, and beware the white jeep... We saw him, went past him at 15 mph. All I can say is that he has a radio. For an open seal in a jeep, they call a helicopter to take you to jail. A real pain, and no joke. If they fix the trail, I wouldn't mind doing the rim again myself - let me know if you want company!

Wow, thanks for the information......15MPH, that is ridiculous! I have about 200 mile range with the tanker.

Back to top Go down

Moab Spring 2011 Empty Spectacular!

Post  Guest Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:16 am

Thanks for posting the great images.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:24 am

Superb place to ride with good scenery dude.. i'm sooo drooling rite now... Frustrated

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down