Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 650R - Adventure Equipped

Go down

The 650R - Adventure Equipped Empty The 650R - Adventure Equipped

Post  Guest Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:16 pm

After a bit of investment and work on the Pig.....I nearly have her ready to go for the Big Dog Ride....

The ride was originally for BMW bikes only (the GS monsters)....but was expanded about 10 years ago. The only requirement....the bike has to be over 640cc on the engine.

Click Here for Link

Here's how she is shaping up.....

The 650R - Adventure Equipped P1010338

The 650R - Adventure Equipped P1010336

Back to top Go down

The 650R - Adventure Equipped Empty Re: The 650R - Adventure Equipped

Post  Guest Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:34 am

make sure to stuff them full of your stuff so you dont have to carry your buddys crap BRP smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:25 pm

Big_John wrote:After a bit of investment and work on the Pig.....I nearly have her ready to go for the Big Dog Ride....

The ride was originally for BMW bikes only (the GS monsters)....but was expanded about 10 years ago. The only requirement....the bike has to be over 640cc on the engine.

Click Here for Link

Here's how she is shaping up.....

The 650R - Adventure Equipped P1010338

The 650R - Adventure Equipped P1010336

I wonder if you did make it to the Big Dog event at all? do you have any pics or any comments how was it?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:57 am

I do not have any experience with loading up a XRR, I have prepped my old Transalp and I have travelled through Africa on it so I can only go by my experience of what I did there..

So bear with me on this but

1) The XR has no weight infront, so as soon as you load it so far back won't the front wheel always want to say hello to the sky. As it is, unloaded I have difficilty keeping the front wheel down. I would have assumed that you would want to try to bring the bags as far forward as possible to get the centre of gravity lower.

2) I have never loaded a bike that only has a sub frame like the XR, from what I see the back frame only bolts into the plastic.. yeah?? so I can only assume that the weight load capacity is low.. around 5kg, maybe a tad more but it can't be more than 10kg or as soon as you go over a wild track I can see everything falling off.. have you strengthened it at all?

How do you feel about these comments I make.. i ask becaise I want to do a luggage system on my bike but this is what I am observing,

Muz

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:31 pm

Muzzy,

this ain't a bike for "luggage" as you say, the subframe has a habit of breaking - logically so, this is the homologation model of the Baja Desert Racer which Honda needed, quite successfully too, so it aint designed for luggage.
If you want 'luggage' then find Giant Loop soft luggage, it's American stuff. Their Coyote bag will let you do longer trips, and the easy-off system (3 belts only, and yes, that's enough) will let you ride without anything on the bike too.
Under no circumstance any 'hard' luggage like hard cases, they will break their mounting on impact. Soft bags tend to deform hence soften the impact, they're more 'forgiving' on the frame.

You're new to this bike? Study it, there's a lot to know which you need to know!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:03 am

Yes, I am new to the bike

Getting there with the learning bit, I don't think I will be using the XR for long trips, mostly day rides so I won't be looking for a luggage solution just a place to hold a good tool kit, but by looking at this bike, if you load those bags and put something on that rack it looks like it is going to be pushing the limits of what the bike will be able to deal with especially offroad, and like I mentioned. you may have to tie bricks to the frontforks to keep it down in front.. lol, only joking.. please don't do that.

Thanks for the info

Muz

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:48 am

How do you like humping that Acerbis fuel tank? I have one and removed it for a 4.6gallon tank.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:30 pm

Oh Aurora,

any humping is fine, the more the merrier. You're getting peckish Bru?
razz
Never humped an Acerbis though, and my IMS-tanker won't allow me to. Too narrow, no arse in the air, so I make do with girls these days. Yeah, funny, I know, but hey, a man has to eat hmm? Wink

I agree that the Acerbis seems a bit high on top, but I've never ridden one. It's also the reason why I opted for the IMS, and no, never even seen a Clarke yet.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:45 pm

BuRP wrote:Oh Aurora,

any humping is fine, the more the merrier.

Nice nice

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down