Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Highway Dirt Bike Handguards/Handlebars

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Highway Dirt Bike Handguards/Handlebars Empty Highway Dirt Bike Handguards/Handlebars

Post  Guest Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:19 pm

From the info I gather on their website you can't install these guards on the stock steel bars. Even though there is nothing wrong with my bars I'm thinking I'll change to some alluminum 7/8 bars. What type to run? So many different bends and widths and brands it's making my head spin! crazy I don't want to have to change all my cables, hoses and wires to the handlebars controls. Just not in my budget. But I really like the HDB guards with the intergrated blinkers and mirrors. Any suggestions? Renthal CR HI bars maybe?

Back to top Go down

Highway Dirt Bike Handguards/Handlebars Empty OK I'll try again...

Post  Guest Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:29 pm

Anyone know how high you can go with 7/8 bars and stock triple clamp without needing to get longer cables and hoses? I would prefer to not use risers if I can help it. I'm 6'5" so the higher the bars the better when I'm up on the pegs....

Back to top Go down

Highway Dirt Bike Handguards/Handlebars Empty Re: Highway Dirt Bike Handguards/Handlebars

Post  Mauser Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:31 pm

I'm with stock cables and running fatbars with risers Smile....no problems I did twist the throttle side downwards to give a better route for the cable.
Mauser
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Highway Dirt Bike Handguards/Handlebars Empty Re: Highway Dirt Bike Handguards/Handlebars

Post  Guest Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:11 pm

Thanks!
I think I'm going to take the stock bars off and bring them in to the shop tomorrow and compare sizes and bends to find what will work for me. I think I'm aiming for 1-1/2" to 2" higher but more or less the same angles.

Back to top Go down

Highway Dirt Bike Handguards/Handlebars Empty bars etc.

Post  Guest Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:42 am

I ended up getting Renthal CR Hi black 7/8 bars and have the full HDB setup installed. I'll post some pictures later this week. It looks real nice! I'm happy with them so far, but have yet to go ride with them.......

Back to top Go down

Highway Dirt Bike Handguards/Handlebars Empty Stock Bars VS Renthal CR Hi

Post  Guest Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:15 am

Highway Dirt Bike Handguards/Handlebars Barscomp1

Highway Dirt Bike Handguards/Handlebars Barscomp2
They end up being about an inch wider and an inch taller with about the same pullback. Cables and everything seem to fit just fine.

Back to top Go down

Highway Dirt Bike Handguards/Handlebars Empty HDB's installed pic

Post  Guest Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:34 am

Highway Dirt Bike Handguards/Handlebars PrettyXR

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon May 07, 2012 11:31 am

Hi Guys
Could anyone tell me how long the stock decompression cable because I'm using third party handlebar with risers ( i think 3cm ) and the cable too tight now, maybe its not stock. Thanks in advance. rider

Last edited by TomXR on Thu May 31, 2012 9:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon May 07, 2012 3:26 pm

No idea.
"Livingroom" also doesn't help because that could be in deep down, well, anywhere?
If US then fine, contact ProCycles, they make cables to your (additional) length. Don't forget the throttle cables, they (often!) also need to be longer with raisers.
But even when in Timbuktu is fine, PC will ship there too Wink

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon May 07, 2012 5:50 pm

Wow you try to help me again! Very Happy Actually I'm living in Hungary - maybe you heard about it recently.
The US too far from here, I do not want to pay 50bucks shipping cost you know. We've got a cool phrase: "The soup more expensive than meat". Ok seriously, I think the previous owner humbled the bike so maybe he changed this stuff as well. Should be any detail on the cable ? I mean part number or something like that such as on the throttle and clutch cables or any other part.
Somebody wrote above, the stock cable sould be long enough.
Cheers.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon May 07, 2012 9:20 pm

Riight Tom,

and no, I'm not Hungry razz Yes of course I know the place, for years already, not only recently (??), and I believe that soup is either called borchst or is the equivalent of it Wink
I also thought it strange you only wanted a longer decomp-cable, but alas, possible. Those shipping charges from the US are a bit dear I agree, but not when you buy quite a bit, then they almost are the same.
Anyway, why don't you take the cable off, and take it to a bikeshop, as an example for them to make a longer one? Dead-easy, should be cheap enough. If they use decent materials then it is as good as a new one, so ask around?
BRP smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 08, 2012 9:47 am

Ok thanks, I was thinking about it. Yesterday I've found a cable service shop in the capitol city maybe they can do something with it. Next time if you feel hunger go eat a hamburger. Cool
I wish you cheap petrol prices and wide roads. 2 thumbs

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 08, 2012 11:49 am

Shot Tom,

I'll tell the government to drop their ludicrous fuel-pricing because Hungary told me so Wink
Nope, no hammie for me, I'll rather eat what is 'local', and that definitely includes soups. I always do this when abroad, but haven't been to your neck of the woods yet - which is a pity because I know you have vast natural spaces and mountains, you probably will not complain in that regard.
Budapest hmm? I'm sure there must be shops there dealing with good stuff, after all I bet there's loadsa bikes in your country. Here's a hint I adhere to, use it or don't. I find a shop dealing with proper goods. If they supply cheap stuff, normally rubbish too, then they think cheap too. And, as I have a habit of doing things once only, I avoid them like the plague. Yeah, pay a bit more, but I rather do maintenance & repairs at home, not forced emergencies out in the field.

Back to top Go down

Highway Dirt Bike Handguards/Handlebars Empty More HDB pics

Post  Guest Mon May 14, 2012 11:17 pm

Highway Dirt Bike Handguards/Handlebars Hdb1
Highway Dirt Bike Handguards/Handlebars Hdb2
Highway Dirt Bike Handguards/Handlebars N3SVrozVfAs
Highway Dirt Bike Handguards/Handlebars Afterrack2

And yes, I need to fix that lump of wires behind the headlight still.... razz

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 15, 2012 8:24 am

HI
Are you using handlebar raiser?I thtink the cable was cut off on my bike...really short.

Back to top Go down

Highway Dirt Bike Handguards/Handlebars Empty risers

Post  Guest Tue May 15, 2012 1:00 pm

TomXR wrote:HI
Are you using handlebar raiser?I thtink the cable was cut off on my bike...really short.

Nope, no risers. I figured I could always try risers later if I am unhappy with the height. I still haven't been out riding with the setup, unless you count up and down my street a couple times.....

Back to top Go down

Highway Dirt Bike Handguards/Handlebars Empty What bars

Post  Guest Tue May 15, 2012 1:07 pm

Hi I did a lot of research and finally settled on Protaper Windham Mid Rise, with some Rox risers. Pics are here in my tread on my DS conversion.

http://www.xr650rforum.com/t1450-my-xrr-or-all-i-want-for-christmas-is-a-bionic-leg

I like that the Rox risers let the bars pivot forward, about 1 inch ahead of the stock mounts. This will open the cockpit up and I think make it easier to put weight on the front end. Just a regular riser ends up putting the bars "more in your lap" which can be awkward trying to control while standing up or useing the attack position.

I am also going with 3 inch longer throttle cables, and depending on how it all mounts up, might get extended clutch and decompression cable too.

Let you know how it all works out!

Back to top Go down

Highway Dirt Bike Handguards/Handlebars Empty new part

Post  Guest Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:23 pm

Hi guys
Yesterday I got the new oem decompression cable. - I ordered this stuff 1 month ago, it seems Japan quite far away from my living room. The oem part about 68.5 cm if somebody interested. Not as long as I expected , I'm using 3cm high risers and aftermarket fatbar and in this situation barely enough. If somebody needs I'll try upload pictures about it. At this moment the bike stays on a bikestand I caught a piece of concrete, and the front wheel bended. doh

Back to top Go down

Highway Dirt Bike Handguards/Handlebars Empty riding impressions

Post  Guest Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:33 pm

Been really happy with the setup so far! Added a Clarke tank too....

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:45 pm

I am having a problem with my decompressor and clutch cable lenght , only changed for slightly higher bars , no risers but the clutch and decomp cables are too short , where to get longer ones ? I have the Pro motion extar long ( too long actualy doh ) throttle cables but they dont sell the clutch and decomp in longer version .

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:47 pm

Looked at hundreds of pictures of other peoples XR's with higher bars and even risers ( basicaly much higher than mine ) and they seem to have longer cables than my bike scratch

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:39 am

Check the cable routing - I just fitted Rox risers and although the cables are long enough, for now I have taken my handguards off because of the stupidly huge clamps interfered with the decomp and clutch cable routing. Also rotating the perch around the bars a bit alters the cable routing and might help.

Regards
SkidMark

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:31 am

Mad Frosty wrote: I have the Pro motion extar long ( too long actualy doh ) throttle cables but they dont sell the clutch and decomp in longer version .

Huh? The hell they do, I bought mine from them!
Back to the phone I guess?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:05 am

link?

they dont list them on their website but then again they dont list the long throttle cables either but I just bought some from somewhere shrug

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:40 pm

link?

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/contact/ worked for me, they're well known to make any cable in any length.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next