Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mainshaft bearing race/clutch rod guide

Go down

Mainshaft bearing race/clutch rod guide Empty Mainshaft bearing race/clutch rod guide

Post  Guest Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:26 am

So, how do I remove these?
I have blind bearing pullers, but they won't get to the bottom of the race with the guide protruding up.
There's obviously a smart way I'm unaware of to do this.

Any suggestions before I start heating things in hope?
I love how the Clymer manual just says "Remove the bearing race." .. and that's it.

Anyway, these are the bits, in case I haven't explained myself well enough.

http://www.users.on.net/~kushy/xr/xr_trans.jpg

Many thanks if you can help.

Cheers.

Jerry

Back to top Go down

Mainshaft bearing race/clutch rod guide Empty Re: Mainshaft bearing race/clutch rod guide

Post  Guest Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:37 am

I think it just slides off - you got it open already?

Back to top Go down

Mainshaft bearing race/clutch rod guide Empty Re: Mainshaft bearing race/clutch rod guide

Post  Guest Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:56 am

Thanks for the reply.

Yep, you're right - the bearing itself with the rollers - slides off, but the race is in there pretty good.
I haven't tried too much force with anything yet but it feels like it's pressed in.
It isn't pressed all the way down to the bottom, so the rod guide can slide around underneath a little.

Is it as simple as heating up the whole case to get it out?

I am changing out every bearing while I rebuild the engine.

Cheers and thanks again,

Jerry

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:50 am

Would it be held in place with Loctite ?, small amount of heat would find out....failing that if it won't budge with heat then could you split it after partially cutting through with a Dremel ?.
Mauser
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:13 pm

If no 'hold' can be gotten on it for a puller then grinding off/flat 2 opposite sides almost to the shaft, then a sharp blow with a chisel will knock it off. Heat is fine as long as it's a little only. Mind though, you'll have to heat the outer layer (the bearings inner) quick too, maybe worthwhile to put the shaft in water then.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:36 am

Thanks BuRP

I think I follow you....
I'm still not sure I had actually explained what I need to do clearly enough.
Sorry for that.
I am actually trying to get the race out of the case.

http://www.users.on.net/~kushy/xr/xrcase.JPG

I'm thinking that I may have to somehow cut or squash down the cone part of the guide you see in the bottom of the race down far enough to maybe get a blind puller to grip on to.
Does that sound like something anyone's down before?

And, I just thought that I'd never introduced myself before just leaping on here and demanding help from everyone.
I'm Jerry from Adelaide in Australia. I've had my XR for a few years and after tearing an ACL in my knee after a forest enduro ride this winter, decided that this thing is too big and heavy to be squeezing through trees and over logs and am getting something more suitable for that. But, I like the pig so much, I'm keeping it to do the motard thing and do a few track days with it.
It was going to be just throwing some 17" wheels on it. But like most of these things go, I guess, it's kind of gotten out of hand a little now. I'm sure you've all been there.
So the engine is apart to fit a new rod, piston, cam etc and obviously, all the bearings.
It's starting to come together, but having to fit the engine into the frame before putting the rest of the bike together puts a hold on things.

http://www.users.on.net/~kushy/xr/frame.JPG

Anyway, I appreciate anyone's time in reading and trying to help out, very much.

Cheers,

Jerry

I've made a start

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:10 am

Ahhh I got the wrong end of the stick also, maybe you could use an expansion bolt....
Mainshaft bearing race/clutch rod guide 15664d1253429487-bearing-removal-blind-holes-drop_in_anchor
Place into the bearing and then screw a bolt into it....the outer expands and if your lucky should grip the outer race allowing you to pull it out....or stick the case in the oven and warm it up first the allot case should expand a lot more than the bearing and might drop out ?.
Welcome to the forums.....Smile.
Mauser
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:02 am

Ah, the outer, not inner.
Mauser means well but don't even try his method. The exerted force on the inside-of-bush will stretch it a bit bigger in diameter, and therefore it will 'claw' even more in the casing. You'll need a impact-puller for this, possibly made2fit the narrow gap between casing and bush. Dual expanding claws under pressure latch into the gap ie a bit under the bush, and they are yanked out by a weight you slide against a stop - hope that is clear enough...

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:29 pm

is the bearing your referring to the one that has a stopper plate bolted to it? try a heat gun to heat the area around the bearing and it may drop out if you tap the crankcase.this goes for any other bearing that are a press fit.freeze the bearing and heat the case where its going to be pressed in.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:43 am

Well, I managed to get the thing out, in the end.

I took a few pics that might help if anyone else ever has the same problem.

I have no doubt that there is a Honda special tool for this which is probably a blind bearing puller with a much bigger hole at the base to accommodate the guide protruding up.

So this was the part I needed to get out
Mainshaft bearing race/clutch rod guide 1

I ground down the sticky up bit of the guide as flush as I could with a Dremmel.
The idea was to make room enough to get a blind bearing puller to get enough of a bite underneath the race.
Mainshaft bearing race/clutch rod guide 2

I heated up the case up to about 80c. I had tried this to get it out before, but no amount of "tapping" was going to get it out on it's own, unfortunately.
Mainshaft bearing race/clutch rod guide 2a

Here is the Blind bearing puller I used.
Mainshaft bearing race/clutch rod guide 3

Fitted it on while the case was hot.
Mainshaft bearing race/clutch rod guide 4

Sliding hammer went on.
Mainshaft bearing race/clutch rod guide 5

It took three good wacks and it was out. Was in there pretty tight.
Mainshaft bearing race/clutch rod guide 7

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I really do appreciate it.

Hope this helps someone else sometime.

(and hope the pics come out ok)

Cheers,

Jerry

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:56 am

Love your tools!
I'd only have turned (lathe'd) the puller so as not to need to remove the guide - which seems part of the casting, not an insert? If the latter you could put a new one in maybe...

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:34 pm

Hi again.

Oh yeah. New one went in no problem.
Put the bush in the freezer for 20 mins and heated up the case - popped straight in.

Easier than shitting your pants.

Jerry

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:36 pm

Sorry, I didn't read your post correctly the first time.
The guide is pretty much a mild steel washer with the centre protruding out on the upper side.
It just floats around underneath the race.

Cheers again,

Jerry

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:41 pm

thanks for posting that up jerry. cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:22 am

nice work

with the same tool i do my wheel bearings nice

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down