Headlight

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Headlight

Post  Chris_w_65 on Tue May 21, 2013 5:07 pm

I love the way my piggy looks but her headlight is not great. It has a plastic lens and does have high and low beam but they are feeble.

What headlight can I replace it with that has a 55W halogen hi/lo globe that will look good on her? Was there a bigger glass light on the Euro models? How about an XR650L light and shroud? Or how about aftermarket?

At the moment I have the Euro stator that is standard with all the posts wound. Does anyone know the output?[img][img][url=http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=16&u=18306413][/img]
Chris_w_65
XRR Freak

XR650R Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Re: Headlight

Post  Mauser on Tue May 21, 2013 6:33 pm

European models and elsewhere in the world have the larger glass headlight and 74 watts stator....like this 1 on my old 250R

Dibs on your old plastic unit if your selling it on....?
Mauser
Administrator

XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris_w_65 on Tue May 21, 2013 6:54 pm

Mauser wrote:European models and elsewhere in the world have the larger glass headlight and 74 watts stator....like this 1 on my old 250R

Dibs on your old plastic unit if your selling it on....?

Then I probably have the 74W stator. Will that work with a 55W halogen globe? Can I rewind my stator myself and stick in a 100W globe? I see you can get 2x 125W out of a stator

Can I fit a Halogen in the Euro headlight?

Anyone have the Euro headlight and shrouds for me? I also need a tail light lens

I may part with the original. I often have family coming over to the UK, my old man was there last week.
Chris_w_65
XRR Freak

Back to top Go down

Post  SkidMark on Tue May 21, 2013 7:44 pm

if you dont mind modding the wiring you can fit a standard H4 bulb straight in the headlight. You will need to fit spade connectors to your wires and 'tweak' the locating tab on the H4 bulb so it is in the correct orientation. Is better than the original but I wouldn't be blasting down unlit country roads with it.

Cheers
SkidMark
SkidMark
XRR Freak

XR650R Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser on Tue May 21, 2013 7:46 pm

I have a European headlight in my loft....but you would need the surround red bit and the white number board. I do have a complete headlight but that's my spare incase I change mine back to the European look.
Just done some pictures....

Mauser
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Headlight

Post  Chris_w_65 on Tue May 21, 2013 7:54 pm

Looks good Mauser. Maybe someone has the rest for me?

Can I upgrade that to Halogen? If not then how are those lights with the biggest globe you can fit in them? My USA light won't even draw moths on dim, Mine is pointed low and stays on bright high beam the whole time.
Chris_w_65
XRR Freak

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris_w_65 on Tue May 21, 2013 7:56 pm

SkidMark wrote:if you dont mind modding the wiring you can fit a standard H4 bulb straight in the headlight. You will need to fit spade connectors to your wires and 'tweak' the locating tab on the H4 bulb so it is in the correct orientation. Is better than the original but I wouldn't be blasting down unlit country roads with it.

Cheers
SkidMark

Are you saying even with the halogen the Euro spec is not great?
Chris_w_65
XRR Freak

Back to top Go down

Post  Mad Frosty on Tue May 21, 2013 8:18 pm

Mind you if you decide to put 100W H4 bulb in the light you will need to use relay othervise the current will toast your switch and also need to use ceramic type of socket for the bulb ( cheap on ebay ), the plastic ones are designed to run 55W , 100w bulb melts them . In my personal opinion 55W H4 is good enough , but there is never enough light ( i will be adding some LED's soon ) .
As for which head light to choose , it comes down to personal preference/taste , i like the classic old school design that is why i have bought the BD DS kit .
BTW these bulbs are good -

H4 55w OSRAM Night Breaker Plus Bulbs 12v [64193NBP]

or

Philips X-Treme Extreme Vision +100% Extra Light H4 472 12v 60/55w Car Bulbs
Mad Frosty
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post  Mad Frosty on Tue May 21, 2013 8:26 pm

Chris_w_65 wrote:
SkidMark wrote:if you dont mind modding the wiring you can fit a standard H4 bulb straight in the headlight. You will need to fit spade connectors to your wires and 'tweak' the locating tab on the H4 bulb so it is in the correct orientation. Is better than the original but I wouldn't be blasting down unlit country roads with it.

Cheers
SkidMark

Once you upgrade your stator you will see some difference if you add the H4 bulb it gets even better , i would say 40-50 % more light = not huge improovement but big enough to bother with the upgrade .
If you want to do serious night riding or even racing , there are some excelent HID units out there ( if you have the money and dont care much about the looks ) .
Mad Frosty
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris_w_65 on Tue May 21, 2013 8:38 pm

Mad Frosty wrote:
Chris_w_65 wrote:

Cheers
SkidMark

Once you upgrade your stator you will see some difference if you add the H4 bulb it gets even better , i would say 40-50 % more light = not huge improovement but big enough to bother with the upgrade .
If you want to do serious night riding or even racing , there are some excelent HID units out there ( if you have the money and dont care much about the looks ) .

I care about the looks - my piggy is going to be stripped down and rebuilt the way I want her to be (no wrong bolts, neat wiring and fixing up crap), but on a reasonably low budget. I am going to save my pennies to give her some more HP Very Happy

And my pennies are worth s--t head , 14.5 to a pound Crying or Very sad
Chris_w_65
XRR Freak

Back to top Go down

Post  SkidMark on Tue May 21, 2013 8:45 pm

Chris_w_65 wrote:

Cheers
SkidMark

untill a stator upgrade you still don't want to put more than a 50W bulb in....after upgrade there's no limit....(within your stators rated output of course)
SkidMark
XRR Freak

XR650R Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris_w_65 on Tue May 21, 2013 8:52 pm

SkidMark wrote:
Chris_w_65 wrote:

Cheers
SkidMark

untill a stator upgrade you still don't want to put more than a 50W bulb in....after upgrade there's no limit....(within your stators rated output of course)

Can I do the stator wind myself? Looks simple to me
Chris_w_65
XRR Freak

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser on Tue May 21, 2013 10:07 pm

Yes do a search on google loads have done it with good results....not done it myself as I would turn into a pumkin if I went out after dark BRP smile

Mauser
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum