Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

kickstarting lever is damaging the frame

Go down

kickstarting lever is damaging the frame Empty kickstarting lever is damaging the frame

Post  Guest Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:33 pm

Hi you BRP freaks im new to this forum. Im have always wanted a XR650R and i just recently found a 2007 bike so the dream is about to come true. But, i found that this bike shows a heavy scratch in the aluminium chassis because every time it is kickstarted, the lever scratches the chassis (is "chassis" the right name?). I want to know if this also happen to you, is there a way to fix it? Could it be a bent lever? if not what other cause? i want to stop that.

The seller claims barely 9500 miles on it but i do not believe. Could anyone give some clues to try to know about mileage? the guy says that it still has the original sprockets and chain, but i dont know how to identify it. What to look for...

You help is appreciated i want to be a BRP freak as soon as possible.

best

Last edited by killabyte on Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

kickstarting lever is damaging the frame Empty Re: kickstarting lever is damaging the frame

Post  Mauser Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:01 pm

Post up some pictures they will help, kickstarter doesn't touch my frame wvn with CRD frame guards fitted ?. Maybe you have the wrong kickstarter as they are known to fall off if the bolt comes loose.
Mauser
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

kickstarting lever is damaging the frame Empty Re: kickstarting lever is damaging the frame

Post  Guest Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:18 am

Pictures!?!asking for it 

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:52 pm

tomorrow i will be posting the pictures dudes, thanks for your help

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:23 pm

Hi guys after a lot of paperwork finally the bike is mine, this is the frame scratch im talking about. im not sure if there could be a missed washer. Im not sure if the main screw that holds the kickstarter is the original one. I want to stop this scratch happening as soon as possible.

https://i.servimg.com/u/f75/18/47/37/54/img_7510.jpg

I have another issue as yesterday was the second time i can run my XR650R. when i start from stop constantly up to get 5th gear i can feel there is a little cough when the bike is just a little advanced in the 3rd gear, could it be something with the carburation? usually one expect to rise speed without any glitches.

best

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:55 pm

Here's a close up of mine.....
kickstarting lever is damaging the frame DSC03556
Man that's bad where its catching....snag is the kickstart goes onto the spline and the washer/bolt hold it from coming off, I don't have the OEM bolt holding mine on; what I can tell you is that when you undo the bolt the kickstarter is flush with the spline/spindle yours must be further in which seems impossible...are you 100% sure it's the right kickstarter ?, it is known for the bolt to fall out and the rider lose the kickstarter without knowing about it ?.
Infact looking at yours against mine I would say yours is the wrong kickstarter ?.....what do you think ?.
Mauser
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:42 pm

Hi dude, can you or someone else post a complete picture of the original kickstarter lever and its bolt under it so i can compare and be sure if mine is a fake? im afraid it could be not the original because the bolt looks neither original. i will post a complete picture of mine.

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:58 pm

Not sure what you mean ?, I don't have the original bolt just whats shown....original bolt looks like this...
kickstarting lever is damaging the frame 585f802e139c8dd38cc2f786a6bfe1a1
Honda Product No.: 28306KAE770
When the bolt is removed the spline shaft coming out of the engine sits flush with the kickstarter listen up 
Mauser
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:14 pm

thats good, anyone a picture of an original kickstart lever to compare with mine?

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:22 am

killabyte wrote:thats good, anyone a picture of an original kickstart lever to compare with mine?
God your hard work, have you never heard of Google BRP smile 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-Honda-XR650R-XR-650R-Kickstart-Kick-Starter-Kicker-Pedal-Lever-00-07-/181071961740?nma=true&si=4oHOvhntu7ZioMMhTsqVHR1cTYM%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Mauser
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:20 am

Hi guys i have some other picts os the kickstarter, i dont know if replacing it with a new one will fix this, can you see anything different in your machines, maybe a spacer o something? I dont know if there exists a frame protector but i would like better to fix this and not aliviate instead.

kickstarting lever is damaging the frame La_fot12
kickstarting lever is damaging the frame La_fot13
kickstarting lever is damaging the frame La_fot14
kickstarting lever is damaging the frame La_fot15
kickstarting lever is damaging the frame La_fot16
kickstarting lever is damaging the frame La_fot17

Last edited by killabyte on Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:29 pm

Two options -
1, the kickstart lever is bent from impact
2, if the engine was ever pulled out of the frame and reinstalled incorrectly it might be sitting couple of milimeters to the left , very unlikely but possible .

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:38 pm

Im not sure if the KS itself is bent but the kickstart joint cold be (item # 3 in the attached diagram), thats it. if not, could it be a twisted spindle? i guess this is seldom case.

kickstarting lever is damaging the frame Screen10

https://i.servimg.com/u/f75/18/47/37/54/screen10.png

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:47 pm

It seems that the only option is the painfull one - money ,..... to try to replace the parts one by one untill you find which one is the damaged one StirPot 

Or take it all apart and inspect properly , you should be able to spot damaged parts , its usualy obvious after you hold each piece in your hand asking for it 

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:54 pm

that´s right, i dont want to run my bike any longer this way. The complete kickstarter is $100, i hope it has nothing to do with the spindle...thanks guys.

Im not a mechanic but im skilled with tools. Is removing the kickstarter a task that i can perform using the right tools? anything that i should be aware of?

Last edited by killabyte on Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:55 pm

Here's mine...
kickstarting lever is damaging the frame DSC04387

kickstarting lever is damaging the frame DSC04388

kickstarting lever is damaging the frame DSC04389

kickstarting lever is damaging the frame DSC04390
Mauser
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:06 am

Thanks for taking the time Mauser, really appreciate the pictures they have helped me out loads Sleep
Mauser
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:33 pm

Hi guys recently i removed the kickstarter and i found that the threads in the kick arm joint were worn all around the inside (towards the motor) i guess there is no way to cure this so a new joint is needed but for the price i will better replace the whole kickstart.

In the mean time i grinded the arm, now it works well but i will change it anyway. I hope to post a picture of the worn part just to put on a record for all of us.

best

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:33 pm

Mauser wrote:Thanks for taking the time Mauser, really appreciate the pictures they have helped me out loads Sleep
Ehm ehm , i think someones bike needs wash asking for it 

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:53 pm

Hey Mauser

Can you help me with a pic of the kickstarter for an XR650L? I seem to have lost mine and I am struggling to find a replacement asking for it 

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:54 pm

Mad Frosty wrote:
Mauser wrote:Thanks for taking the time Mauser, really appreciate the pictures they have helped me out loads Sleep
Ehm ehm , i think someones bike needs wash asking for it 
My XR650SMR never gets dirty banana 

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:36 pm

Hi guys to update the post, i removed the complete kick arm and found that the threads in the bolt were worn so i guess this is the cause. i plan to replace the whole kickstart unit

best

i will post some pictures soon

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down