Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fork stub bolts

Go down

Fork stub bolts Empty Fork stub bolts

Post  Guest Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:40 pm

Hey guys

Snapped off one of the 4 stub bolts on the fork...suggestions for removal, replacement. 

Thanks

Back to top Go down

Fork stub bolts Empty Re: Fork stub bolts

Post  Mauser Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:48 am

Welcome,
Get yourself some screw extractors and order a new stud part number 90136-KA3-831
How much of the broken stud is sticking out if any ?, when you come to drill the stud for extraction start with a small drill first; get a decent sharp high speed steel drill and make sure you right angles to the fork leg....in other words going straight in once you have the hole in the middle of the stud open it up to the correct size for the screw extractor it should say on the instructions. There are several types available some you knock in then turn and some you can simply screw in and they bite into the stud, they are all made left handed so as you try and undo the stud they bite in more.
Post a picture of the problem...always helps and in the mean time start soaking the stud with penetrating oil.
Mauser
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:30 pm

Thanks for the help

I wasn't sure if I should go ahead and start drilling, or if there was a better way I wasn't aware of. Bolt broke off nearly flush to the fork so there's nothing to get ahold of. 

Do you know where I'd find a torque spec for these. I didn't get on it too hard, but I'm assuming it snapped because I overtightened it. 

Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:34 pm

Start drilling but be carefull and make sure your drill is sharp, no other way to get the old stud out m8....Sad.
Mauser
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:37 am

I have had quite a bit of success welding onto the broken stud with a tig welder and then turning it out when the stud is still hot - if it is broken off flush then you could maybe put an M6 nut on and weld on the inside and turn it out with a spanner or maybe just build the stud up with welding and grab it with vice grips.

Maybe the drill and extractor should be your first option though as I should think it would be hard to drill after welding.

There are 2 plates on the inside of the swingarm where the axle goes through, they are held in with countersunk Phillips screws with Locktite.
Needless to say the heads stripped. My mate Tig welded M6 bolts on these and we turned them out with a spanner no problem.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:20 pm

Download a copy of the manual for torque, on those it not as high as you would think...if you'snugged'them with a wrench or 1/4" drive rachet then you probably over tightened it.

SkidMark

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down