Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

IMS 26L install

Go down

IMS 26L install Empty IMS 26L install

Post  Guest Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:45 pm

Before

IMS 26L install Beforesm_zps97f7b200

After
IMS 26L install Aftersm_zps3bcbde9d

Vacuum pump

IMS 26L install Vacpumpsm_zps2dd8b7db

Fuel tap and quick disconnects

IMS 26L install Fueltapampquickdisconnectssm_zpsf667ab74

Aluminium tape to protect tank from exhaust heat.  (Exhaust wrap on order.)

IMS 26L install Aluminiumtape2sm_zps00487844

IMS 26L install Aluminiumtape1sm_zpsca58a68e

Choke lever access possible but no way to get to idle adjustment while on the bike and barely when you are off the bike.
IMS 26L install Chokeleveraccesssm_zps6bc550ad

Ignition key installation still fits

IMS 26L install Ignitionkeystillfitssm_zpscb963518

Indicator brackets contact tank on full lock

IMS 26L install Indicatorscontactedtankonfulllocksm_zps738b8d89

Slight bend in bracket fixes that.  The plastic indicator housing just touches but the rubber mounting flexes so no issue.
IMS 26L install Slightbendinbracketsfixessm_zpsef02cbe3

Spacers provided are too wide to fit so large nuts installed temporarily  till I can turn down the spacers at work.  (Tanker Brace on order)

IMS 26L install Tanktoradspacerstoobigsm_zps656c17f5

Can’t get front seat mount to slide into place – anyone else had this issue?  Might just velco for now to help keep in place but no huge deal.
IMS 26L install Topseatmountdoesntfitsm_zps3069aa82

So all in all I'm very impressed with the quality and fit of the tank with the two minor exeptions regarding the seat and spacers...I would say the quick disconnects are a must else you can not take the tank off with fuel in it.

Bananatool 

SkidMark

Back to top Go down

IMS 26L install Empty Re: IMS 26L install

Post  Guest Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:22 am

where did you get this and how much was it? I've been looking at the acerbis tank but haven't gotten around to buying one yet, but if this is truly 26L that's 6.86 gallons (a full gallon more than the acerbis) and thus more attractive, haha. Give us a nice review on it. Also, are you using the gas tank slosh stuff? I can't remember what it's called, but the foam stuff you put in the tank to help prevent the gas from sloshing around. I like the idea of a massive tank because I can fill it up all the way if I need it, or just fill it up with 3 gallons (if that foam stuff works well) and have less weight on the front forks. Let me know what you think of it, thanks.
-Rob

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:07 pm

Got same tank, and if you bend the seat (stock-std seat) it'll slip into the pin on the tank.
That alu tape will come off though, know it.
Those quick connectors I hope have checkvalves in them? If not (in both halves) then you'll cause a fire when taking it off of a hot engine in the field - but it seems you know this already BRP smile 

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:50 pm

RobbySkateboard wrote:where did you get this and how much was it? I've been looking at the acerbis tank but haven't gotten around to buying one yet, but if this is truly 26L that's 6.86 gallons (a full gallon more than the acerbis) and thus more attractive, haha. Give us a nice review on it. Also, are you using the gas tank slosh stuff? I can't remember what it's called, but the foam stuff you put in the tank to help prevent the gas from sloshing around. I like the idea of a massive tank because I can fill it up all the way if I need it, or just fill it up with 3 gallons (if that foam stuff works well) and have less weight on the front forks. Let me know what you think of it, thanks.
-Rob
Hi Rob,
I too was going for the Acerbis but then got enlightened as to the advantages of the IMS by a certain forum member.  Anyway the more I saw the more I liked and bought it from atvgalaxy on ebay for $270 - good bit cheaper than the Acerbis I believe.  The nice thing is the fuel pump that picks the fuel up from all the low spots and transfers it to the sump area where the fuel tap is.
I have only had a quick short ride so far but am riding to work tomorrow on it and then on saturday am heading to Jinja (where the source of the Nile is) for breakfast banana.    Will report back about 'sloshing' later...but suspect I will get tank foam at some point.
Cheers
SkidMark

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:57 pm

BuRP wrote:Got same tank, and if you bend the seat (stock-std seat) it'll slip into the pin on the tank.
That alu tape will come off though, know it.
Those quick connectors I hope have checkvalves in them? If not (in both halves) then you'll cause a fire when taking it off of a hot engine in the field - but it seems you know this already BRP smile 
Hey,
Just managed to get the seat on properly.....bit of bending and some slippery stuff around the pin and alot wiggling.  Hopefully now its on it will take a 'set' in that position.
I have lots of tape at work.....had got exhaust wrap coming too.
Got the right check valves as well...although I busted one already...I had it sat in such a way that when the kick start returned it broke a bit of the plastic that holds the sliding metal plate in place and so the plate, spring and pin all popped out....good job I had ordered a spare Cool .

Only concern is that starting will be a pain without access to the idle screw.....I usually tweak that up a turn or so to start from cold....do you have any problems Bart?

Overall I am really impressed with the tank.
SkidMark

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:00 am

Yip, a fine tank it is.
I can reach my idle screw (TM40 mind) easily enough, and you're deadright in mentioning the 'upping' for a cold start being required, it makes life so much easier.
Can't remember the std carb anymore, have a good look and think of something maybe?

Edited: yeah, some wrap around the headers is a good idea, I had that too. Thorns will ravage it though, but then again it remains a dirtbike after all, it adds to the character BRP smile 

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:20 pm

well, rode it to work today 80% tarmac 20% dirt road and it felt fine.  Started ok too just one extra kick to get her going - maybe the idle adjustment isn't so critical afterall........

longer ride tomorrow but not sure how much is dirt...

will report back

Cheers
SkidMark

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:01 pm

Well, started fine again today, 2nd kick....

Filled it up to the top and this mornings ride was 240k's - so weird to do a complete ride on one tankful and have loads left over....Unfortunately the ride was basically all tarmac, because we had some street bikes with us,  but there where plenty of speed bumps (or as we call them here ' speed mountains') that you launch off the top of and the bike handled fine.  I tried out my giant loop coyote as well just for the fun of it and the bike handled fine.  Both the tank and the coyote are awesome bits of kit.

The downside of the big tank though is that my butt doesn't get a rest as often now so my seat definitely needs some work... painful 

IMS 26L install 2013-10-19105421_zps8c621a7e
IMS 26L install 2013-10-19105430_zps6b4e8a5b
IMS 26L install 2013-10-19105436_zpse7d9f817
IMS 26L install 2013-10-19114304_zps68a2631a

Back to top Go down

IMS 26L install Empty iron butt

Post  Guest Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:41 am

ha ha...!, yeah ive had to improve my seat as they're really a torture device in disquise, i widened mine just enough ,plus removed the foam first to bore 19mm holes half way thru, then reglued to the base, they are then like little shock absorbers, then i made a removable sheepskin padded cover for the long trasport sections, ive just fitted a 16l clark tank, about to find out how all me mods behave on a trip down our south island[ pics in the mods section]have fun

Back to top Go down

IMS 26L install Empty Tanker Brace

Post  Guest Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:12 pm

Well, got the tanker brace and installed it - only slight issue I had was getting a spanner (wrench? I'm multi-lingual Cool ) on the engine mount bolt head as the rad that side is slightly tweaked - oh also I had to put a thinner washer on the engine mount bolt as there weren't enough threads to go through the nut.  No big drama though.  The brace is a great bit of kit, really well designed and manufactured - thanks Hodakaguy.

IMS 26L install Tankbracesm_zps630f5fad

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:53 pm

up to 340K's on one tankful and still counting... banana

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:33 pm

........ until "Ooh f@ck!!!!" ???????

Bump 

Back to top Go down

IMS 26L install Empty fuel consumption

Post  Guest Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:32 am

having just completed 5700kms tour around sth isld of NZ, im glad to now be getting 15k's /l , abit perplexed as my mtrs very modded+ a fcr43.5mm carb, so with the 16L f/tank ive been getting 220k til reserve, with the std mtr/carb id struggle to get 100k from the whole tank[std 10l], reserve included

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:35 am

That's not much on your standard tank, I got 140k's on the standard tank.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down