Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Leaking countershaft seal (while in Morocco)

Go down

Leaking countershaft seal (while in Morocco) Empty Leaking countershaft seal (while in Morocco)

Post  Guest Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:04 pm

Quick question...

I'm in Morocco riding the dunes, and today my countershaft seal has started to leak.

Obviously a shortage of parts, and it's the one spare I didn't pack! Smile

The bike oil was not overfilled, but it was bloody hot. Crankcase breather not blocked. I think it's just gone with age/wear/previous abuse.

Any tips or things I can try to patch things?
I figure tomorrow I will clean it all, maybe try to remove it and reseat it?

Back to top Go down

Leaking countershaft seal (while in Morocco) Empty Re: Leaking countershaft seal (while in Morocco)

Post  Mauser Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:57 pm

Pop it out and wrap some PTFE tape around it ?
Mauser
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Leaking countershaft seal (while in Morocco) Empty Re: Leaking countershaft seal (while in Morocco)

Post  Guest Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:00 pm

No tape, but may find something similar.
How easy to pop out? Last I replaced one on another bike I destroyed the old one in the process

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:47 pm

What about stopping now and again and top up the oil ? How bad is the leak ?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:40 am

Had a look this morning, just a dribble, seal still seated.

Following advice here and advrider, I'll leave it be, check every hour, and buy some 10-40 to top it up! Smile

I don't think there is anyway to remove the seal without damaging it worse than now..

Maintenance done, now breakfast and off into the desert!! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:56 am

Renew it at home & check the oil regularly, but whatever you do DO NOT 'pop it out and add ptfe tape' - sorry Mauser, that's one of your less clever remarks, downright dangerous in fact.

Now then, except from sindering heat, palms, fata morgana's, sand and more sand..... how's the female kind looking there?

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:40 pm

BuRP wrote:Renew it at home & check the oil regularly, but whatever you do DO NOT 'pop it out and add ptfe tape' - sorry Mauser, that's one of your less clever remarks, downright dangerous in fact.

Now then, except from sindering heat, palms, fata morgana's, sand and more sand..... how's the female kind looking there?
Why would it be dangerous ?......I add PTFE tape to many joints during the day without encountering any danger...if the seal pops out you could safely add some tape around the output shaft and pop the seal back in worst thing that could happen is it leak Bump 
Mauser
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:08 pm

Well there were a few conclusions from this post Smile

First, thanks all for the advice!

The first lesson is don't touch it Wink PTFE tape just ain't going to help Smile Sorry Mauser!

The second lesson is that a load of oil pissing out of the countershaft is NOT actually that much, just looks that way. The risk is if it gets too hot (errmm like when riding in a desert) and it pops the weakened seal. Then you lose a lot of oil very quickly...

Third lesson is if in Morocco, go to Zagora and Chez Ali Racing. Top bloke, top workshop, and they can fix anything and everything.

Cheers!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:54 pm

All is well then Bananatool 

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down