Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My build up: Big Red Dog... ;)

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

My build up: Big Red Dog... ;)  - Page 5 Empty Re: My build up: Big Red Dog... ;)

Post  Guest Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:23 pm

All this rain is a great reason to stay indoors cleaning stuff!

From this:

My build up: Big Red Dog... ;)  - Page 5 WP_20140208_13_49_37_Pro_zpsd42faa8f

To this (undercoat on):

My build up: Big Red Dog... ;)  - Page 5 WP_20140211_16_50_35_Pro_zps4db4c643

Nice weld (both sides)
My build up: Big Red Dog... ;)  - Page 5 WP_20140211_16_50_43_Pro_zps537ee439
My build up: Big Red Dog... ;)  - Page 5 WP_20140211_16_50_50_Pro_zpseb194339

While I was at it (borrowing my mates sand-blaster I mean!) I cleaned up the headers Smile Tomorrow a coat of high temp paint.

My build up: Big Red Dog... ;)  - Page 5 WP_20140211_16_51_18_Pro_zpse1598095
My build up: Big Red Dog... ;)  - Page 5 WP_20140211_16_51_12_Pro_zps82584446

Back to top Go down

My build up: Big Red Dog... ;)  - Page 5 Empty Re: My build up: Big Red Dog... ;)

Post  Guest Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:31 pm

Looking at your restored subframe, it's clear that mine has not only been shortened, but is also bent.
I don't think there's a single part that doesn't need fixing!

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:29 pm

Great repair job... 2 thumbs let us know how the high temp paint works out on the headers. I spray mine with WD40 after ever ride whilst still hot and that seems to oil black them  banana 
Mauser
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:22 pm

Hi bigkuri,

Has your chinese radiator ebayer released v2 yet?
Looking to buy a set.

Cheers

Binned_it

bigkuri wrote:A small note that the fitting of these radiators was slightly off for a few reasons. I wrote to the eBay seller who has proved to be a real gent, and I'm currently working with him to provide better dimensions for the fitting points before he releases a version 2 early next year (Feb 2014).  Basically as the core is so thick, it changes the angle that which the radiators point down.  Will post a link and results when version-2 is released!  A great upgrade though which together with a XRs Only radiator cap and thermostat prevented my bike boiling even once, unlike the others...

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:35 pm

Just emailed them couple of days ago to chase Smile
Will let you know Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:23 pm

No update on radiators - Chinese New Year I think?...

A dry day in the weekend I thought I'd get the engine in, however little did I expect what and where fesh-fesh gets! Every suspension linkage was full of the stuff, took 3 odd hours to clean, and I suspect that's my bearings gone in the next year!

Sorry for the blurry photos - oil on the lens!

Where I left off

My build up: Big Red Dog... ;)  - Page 5 WP_20140216_12_55_15_Pro_zps689cddbd

Yet more in bits

My build up: Big Red Dog... ;)  - Page 5 WP_20140216_14_22_19_Pro_zps6385cf8f

My build up: Big Red Dog... ;)  - Page 5 WP_20140216_14_22_14_Pro_zpsf4a8f16a

My build up: Big Red Dog... ;)  - Page 5 WP_20140216_14_22_25_Pro_zpse6f1d01f

Axles and wheel bearings will be next weekend!

The lower chain roller/tensioner was utterly toast - just fell apart, so I needed a new one and easier to put in before the engine Smile

Back to top Go down

My build up: Big Red Dog... ;)  - Page 5 Empty the ugliest ex ever made

Post  Guest Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:55 pm

urrrh... man those std headers are just hideous, they restrict the std port size by apprx 6mm, then there is the "collector" ......, ! just find it difficult to believe honda could make such a horrible exhaust system , it is actually to run with the restricted intake setup on the californian models, then they just forgot to make a decent item for everyone else......, hang on ill just empty the bucket
My build up: Big Red Dog... ;)  - Page 5 WP_20140211_16_50_50_Pro_zpseb194339

While I was at it (borrowing my mates sand-blaster I mean!) I cleaned up the headers Smile Tomorrow a coat of high temp paint.

My build up: Big Red Dog... ;)  - Page 5 WP_20140211_16_51_18_Pro_zpse1598095
My build up: Big Red Dog... ;)  - Page 5 WP_20140211_16_51_12_Pro_zps82584446

[/quote]

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:55 pm

get some nice aftermarket headers then  Bananatool 

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:36 am

Mad Frosty wrote:get some nice aftermarket headers then  Bananatool 

$$$$$$

Or lack there-of... Sad

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:42 am

A nice day yesterday, no rain, and various little bags of parts from Mr Honda = loads of work done! Smile  Bananatool 

Started off with this sad looking chopper

My build up: Big Red Dog... ;)  - Page 5 WP_20140222_10_21_07_Pro_zps2676156a

First thing was from my to-do list, I do this to pretty much every bike I own... Drill a hole in a perfectly good swingarm  crazy 

My build up: Big Red Dog... ;)  - Page 5 WP_20140222_10_47_37_Pro_zps7c80cca4

Madness?... No!...  razz 

My build up: Big Red Dog... ;)  - Page 5 WP_20140222_10_49_34_Pro_zps9bfa92a6

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:47 am

A few engine shots, just as I am tickled with the new one  BRP smile 

It still has the original paint on the exhaust studs  Very Happy  Plus this shows my crude planking plate for the holes the tree huggers like putting in all USA spec engines...

My build up: Big Red Dog... ;)  - Page 5 WP_20140222_11_41_48_Pro_zps7e363ad2

The one on the right is now for sale!

My build up: Big Red Dog... ;)  - Page 5 WP_20140222_11_43_38_Pro_zps7d0efef1

Yes, I know, I really should have cleaned the old one before taking it out...

My build up: Big Red Dog... ;)  - Page 5 WP_20140222_11_43_46_Pro_zpsd961c591

Ta-da!

My build up: Big Red Dog... ;)  - Page 5 WP_20140222_13_52_13_Pro_zpsecd38696

Also fitted "an experiment" in some £8 large footpegs I bought from some Chinese eBay seller. Or Amazon. They are "ok" - a bit crude but I think will be good... Left one is the biggie, right the original.

My build up: Big Red Dog... ;)  - Page 5 WP_20140222_15_44_29_Pro_zps9d6e28bd

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:51 am

The headers turned out well...

My build up: Big Red Dog... ;)  - Page 5 WP_20140222_15_33_49_Pro_zps411c281f

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:27 am

Do you have the header heat sheild/guard I think without 1 fitted they look poo.
More piccies please  Bump 
Mauser
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:33 am

It's waiting to be bolted on Smile The black exhaust paint is very fragile till baked, so it chips like a bastard - will bolt it on once all the other stuff is fitted Smile

Waiting for my reconditioned Wilbers 642 - should be here next week. Shock, subframe, exhaust, chain, radiators, fluids; then a test ride  pig 

Then the to-do list gets a bit shorter.... Headlight, electrics, Voyager dash, fix the horn.... And maybe then sort the front forks...

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:35 am

I don't suppose anyone has some spare 7/8 bar handguards or just the mounting kit laying about?
The cheapo handguards I fitted are actually ok, they just need better bar-brackets.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:17 am

bigkuri wrote:I don't suppose anyone has some spare 7/8 bar handguards or just the mounting kit laying about?  
The cheapo handguards I fitted are actually ok, they just need better bar-brackets.

I have a set of hand guards and some fittings, plus bars if you want them. A box of bits.
I converted to fat bars. Actually, I also have some unused cheapo risers/fat bar converters, which I'm not sure I trust.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:26 pm

Oh! Great! Will PM you Smile

I worked on my super enduro today, giving the poor ignored thing some TLC.

Hopefully get the shock in a few days and can have a decent run at the Honda next weekend...

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:33 pm

Looking good  2 thumbs 
When you sell the old nackered engine  StirPot  the funds should be there for the new headers  naughty 

Back to top Go down

My build up: Big Red Dog... ;)  - Page 5 Empty old eng bits

Post  Guest Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:37 pm

im in the market for a second head and barrel, im wanting to set up a topend for turbo charging, doesnt matter if it needs lots of repairs

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:37 pm

temporary kiwi wrote: im in the market for a second head and barrel, im wanting to set up a topend for turbo charging, doesnt matter if it needs lots of repairs

What about the whole engine from Kuri  BRP smile 

Back to top Go down

My build up: Big Red Dog... ;)  - Page 5 Empty old eng bits

Post  Guest Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:57 pm

mmm.... might be a tad expensive shipping whole eng to other side of the world, id consider just a head/barrel though

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:31 pm

The top end was rebuilt remember, well cylinder piston rings cams etc. So the old one is running great. So no splitting, I should be able to sell the whole thing I hope...

There was a head for sale on eBay a few weeks' ago?

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:41 pm

bigkuri wrote:The top end was rebuilt remember, well cylinder piston rings cams etc. So the old one is running great. So no splitting, I should be able to sell the whole thing I hope...

There was a head for sale on eBay a few weeks' ago?

How much for the engine ?....I take it the left case isn't busted ?.
Mauser
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:58 am

No rush to sell it.

It's not busted at all! It is used - a new top end, and so think of it this way that the engine had enough use to need a top end refresh.

Does not jump gears, loads of power, uses no oil.

Price, right now about £800. Mid-summer if it has not sold it'll go on eBay with a £700 reserve. Have seen them go for well over £750, so will wait and see Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:01 pm

bigkuri wrote:No rush to sell it.

It's not busted at all!  It is used - a new top end, and so think of it this way that the engine had enough use to need a top end refresh.

Does not jump gears, loads of power, uses no oil.

Price, right now about £800. Mid-summer if it has not sold it'll go on eBay with a £700 reserve. Have seen them go for well over £750, so will wait and see Smile

Not seen many genuine engines on ebay UK....not in last few years I have owned my piggy...don't think it's within our buy/rebuild/sell on price bracket if you know what I mean.
Mauser
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:09 am

Just for those interested, my Chinese radiator maker now has "version 2" on the market.

TBH I'm not that happy with the sound of it - he has fixed the mounting issue by going from the double thickness core to a "1.5 thickness". Mainly for the reason that the core they use is generic on so many bikes. Which is about 32mm I think? I have not tried them, and so no idea if the fitting is sorted. The whole larger capacity radiator was a little lost in translation or something. I kept saying how great the huge double-core was, but it did not resonate....

They'll be up on eBay soon... But for me I will look after my old ones!

No bike building this weekend - I need to spend some time on my SE950R... Plus still waiting for this rear shock to be returned  Crying or Very sad 

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next