Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My build up: Big Red Dog... ;)

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

My build up: Big Red Dog... ;)  - Page 6 Empty Re: My build up: Big Red Dog... ;)

Post  Guest Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:09 am

Just for those interested, my Chinese radiator maker now has "version 2" on the market.

TBH I'm not that happy with the sound of it - he has fixed the mounting issue by going from the double thickness core to a "1.5 thickness". Mainly for the reason that the core they use is generic on so many bikes. Which is about 32mm I think? I have not tried them, and so no idea if the fitting is sorted. The whole larger capacity radiator was a little lost in translation or something. I kept saying how great the huge double-core was, but it did not resonate....

They'll be up on eBay soon... But for me I will look after my old ones!

No bike building this weekend - I need to spend some time on my SE950R... Plus still waiting for this rear shock to be returned  Crying or Very sad 

Back to top Go down

My build up: Big Red Dog... ;)  - Page 6 Empty Re: My build up: Big Red Dog... ;)

Post  Guest Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:39 pm

Finally!

My shock was squeaking like a big rat - a real SQUEAK on compression. So I had it returned and serviced.
Not having it was holding things up; no shock, no rear subframe, no exhaust, and no running bike!

Today...

My build up: Big Red Dog... ;)  - Page 6 WP_20140317_22_33_52_Pro_zps701ae932

My build up: Big Red Dog... ;)  - Page 6 WP_20140317_22_34_04_Pro_zps54ac84ec

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:10 pm

Bananatool Bananatool Bananatool Bananatool Bananatool Bananatool Bananatool Bananatool Bananatool  Bananatool 

Bananatool Bananatool Bananatool Bananatool Bananatool Bananatool Bananatool Bananatool Bananatool Bananatool 

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:18 pm

Crikey, sounds awful in that video, but she is running beautifully.

The shock meant I could finish things off, which for a change went smoothly as I've found most of the broken bits already!

Started the afternoon with this, shock in and can now stand again on it's own two feet!

My build up: Big Red Dog... ;)  - Page 6 WP_20140319_11_59_39_Pro_zps79fba45c

Exhaust on, rear fender and subframe

My build up: Big Red Dog... ;)  - Page 6 WP_20140319_14_04_24_Pro_zpsf33d0437

My build up: Big Red Dog... ;)  - Page 6 WP_20140319_14_04_16_Pro_zpsdfcb6055

Radiators on, tank on

My build up: Big Red Dog... ;)  - Page 6 WP_20140319_17_55_08_Pro_zpsd8960dd9

Figured out the rear brake light, will fit a proper connection this weekend

My build up: Big Red Dog... ;)  - Page 6 WP_20140319_18_05_21_Pro_zps54f28106

Celebrated with a very apt beer!!

My build up: Big Red Dog... ;)  - Page 6 WP_20140319_20_32_34_Pro_zps5ad92d48

Great day  Very Happy  2 thumbs  rider

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:48 pm

And I should say, only two matching mystery bolts left over.... Almost a record for me  Embarassed Rolling Eyes  They are two Honda flange bolts, 8mm head and about 20mm long....

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:18 pm

Its always good to have some bolts and nuts left , certainly better that if you have some bits missing  Bananatool 

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:49 am

bigkuri wrote:And I should say, only two matching mystery bolts left over.... Almost a record for me  Embarassed Rolling Eyes  They are two Honda flange bolts, 8mm head and about 20mm long....

Are they the ones from under the rear guard that hold it to the subframe?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:13 am

Good guess! Nope. Those are all allen-key heads, as I assume the originals fell out years ago. These two are exactly like the bolt that holds on the cable bracket by the stator. Nothing obvious is missing. I suspect they are from the OEM chain guard of the new engine, as I didn't use that. Or from the emissions stuff I took off.

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:06 am

bigkuri wrote:And I should say, only two matching mystery bolts left over.... Almost a record for me  Embarassed Rolling Eyes  They are two Honda flange bolts, 8mm head and about 20mm long....
Was thinking about the rear fender bolts but they are 10mm head....hmmm 6mm head is pretty small like engine casing size ?...but to short for them...what about the ones which hold the cable bracket on the headstock...think there is only 1 bolt there and probably not 20mm long......maybe if you cleaned her more you would spot where they came from  listen up  see cleaning is good and no evil like you lot practice  Bump 
Mauser
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:08 am

Mauser wrote:.....maybe if you cleaned her more you would spot where they came from...

Actually Mauser, I utterly agree with you on this one. Detailed cleaning is the way to find a lot of things before they become problems. My cleaning has gotten worse and worse over the years, my race bikes all used to be showroom floor material, even at the end of the season. The amount of stuff nipped in the bud was amazing.

A good point  cheers 

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:51 pm

Finished the bike  Bananatool  And even found where the extra bolts go - the sump guard!!...  Embarassed 

A spin tomorrow to test things  rider 

Salisbury plain ride out for two days in two weeks, that will get it broke in (again). Then will look at to-do list:
- More light.... Have some cheapo eBay LEDs to try
- Voyager speedo
- Tweaks to the front forks and service of forks/wheels

Then Iceland! Very Happy

My build up: Big Red Dog... ;)  - Page 6 WP_20140322_16_21_59_Pro_zps1bf2a4d0

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:31 pm

do you still have a xr 650 r engine forsale
thanks mike

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:32 pm

Send him a PM , that should work faster .

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:39 pm

he doesn't have a email address in his profile , if someone has his email address sent to me please , need a engine maybe another bike , not sure where bigkuri is from
thanks mike

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:14 pm

Mauser
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:56 pm

Keep checking ebay , there is always one for sale .

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6