Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lemon juice

Go down

Lemon juice Empty Lemon juice

Post  Guest Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:19 am

Anybody tried to clean their carb/ jets in boiling water or lemon juice? This guy seems to swear by it, and I've seen other good stuff about the technique on the web.

http://cycles.evanfell.com/2008/09/how-to-clean-a-motorcycle-carburetor-the-right-way/

My carb was clearly very gummed up once-upon-a-time, and the previous owner has had a good go at cleaning it back up, but they're not as clean as I would like, even after I've had several goes with carb cleaner.

Thought I'd give the lemon juice a go, and was wondering if anyone has tried it before?

StirPot

Back to top Go down

Lemon juice Empty Re: Lemon juice

Post  Guest Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:36 am

Coke works the best but you have to strip it right down and have no rubber (orings, gaskets etc) left in.  This is the best way to clean jets especially.

Regards
SkidMark

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:41 pm

Ultrasonic cleaner helps too  BRP smile 

Back to top Go down

Lemon juice Empty It works!!

Post  Guest Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:46 pm

Well, I can report back that it worked like a dream!  Bananatool 

I stripped the carb and boiled it and the parts in a 50:50 mix of lemon juice and water for 30mins. (500ml = £0.85p in Aldi)

Then put it all in boiling water to wash the lemon juice off, and finished off with plenty of carb cleaner and dried off with compressed air.

It's all come up gleaming and all the ground in crud that I couldn't get out with carb cleaner has now disappeared! 2 thumbs 

I totally recommend it, but it does get a bit smelly. You'll need to boil it outside or have an understanding wife!  rider

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum