Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hesitant

Go down

Hesitant  Empty Hesitant

Post  Guest Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:37 pm

Hi,

I'm new to XR's and not entirely sure what a well set up one should ride like but I feel mine is hesitant at around 120kph when you shut the throttle off completely then re open to 1/4.
I'm currently running:
68s pilot
B53e clip 3
175 main
16 (ish)mm float height

I have tried moving the clip to the 4th and feel it lost some of the crisp-ness all over but did marginally improve the issue.

Any ideas?

Back to top Go down

Hesitant  Empty Re: Hesitant

Post  Guest Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:48 pm

The bike its completely stock ?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:43 pm

It's 'uncorked' running what I believe to be a HRC tip.
Has no smog stuff.

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:04 am

ROCKOZ wrote:It's 'uncorked' running what I believe to be a HRC tip.
Has no smog stuff.
Why would it be corked ?....is it an import ?....few easy bits to spot...no rear brake spring hole in foot pedal....possibly small plastic headlight....no electrics lol....
Pop up a picture or 2 for us plz BRP smile
Mauser
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:14 am

I thought they still came with the smog stuff and small jets with the exhaust restriction?
It's not an import.
It was the one advertised on here from Wales.

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:30 pm

Only the California had the smog crap installed and the North American models were heavily restricted through the carb isolator and jets etc....if yours is a UK/EU bike then by default it's un-corked.
Mauser
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:00 pm

So only jetting would be wrong on UK models? That doesn't really make a whole load of sense. Surely Honda would jet it to suit the fact it's 'uncorked'?

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:54 pm

ROCKOZ wrote:So only jetting would be wrong on UK models? That doesn't really make a whole load of sense. Surely Honda would jet it to suit the fact it's 'uncorked'?

No the UK/EU bikes are NOT restricted apart from the exhaust tip, the US versions are, if your bike is UK/EU spec then its full powered from stock....
Infact the US versions also have 2 restrictors which are fitted to the airbox as standard which simply pull out opening up the airbox.

Read Question #4
http://www.xr650r.co.uk/about/faqs.shtml
Mauser
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:31 am

Fair enough.
Any idea's on my jetting issue? Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:19 pm

Your jetting sounds about right , sometimes all it takes its a good cleaning session ( using carb cleaner to get to the hiden places or even better ultrasonic bath ) , float level can make a difference sometimes , what gearing are you running ?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:11 am

I've spent ages cleaning removing 95% of any gunk. Ran some cleaner through the fuel too.
Float is set to 16mm plus or minus 1mm badly using a set of vernier calipers. Had three opinions on it being 16mm so pretty happy.
Gearing is 1 up on the front.

I think someone who already owns one needs to have a go on mine or visa versa so I have some idea of what it's supposed to be like. I things like the lack of cush drive make it have less road going manners than what I'm used to. Also at low ish revs pottering aroung at say 50 in top gear it'll surge which is annoying....I do feel something isn't right.

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:34 am

ROCKOZ wrote:I've spent ages cleaning removing 95% of any gunk. Ran some cleaner through the fuel too.
Float is set to 16mm plus or minus 1mm badly using a set of vernier calipers. Had three opinions on it being 16mm so pretty happy.
Gearing is 1 up on the front.

I think someone who already owns one needs to have a go on mine or visa versa so I have some idea of what it's supposed to be like. I things like the lack of cush drive make it have less road going manners than what I'm used to. Also at low ish revs pottering aroung at say 50 in top gear it'll surge which is annoying....I do feel something isn't right.

That's your gearing, I hated mine with Moto wheels on @ low speed each thump of the engine the bike would judder....sounds like you need to drop down on the front back to stock 14 what's on the rear ?....I run a 13~50 combination as I only ride slow on my bike...less than 50 !!! that's with off-road wheels.
Mauser
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:38 pm

It's not really a judder. I understand that would be caused by being in a too high gear at low revs.
It's actually 15/50 gearing which weirdly enough almost works out as standard.
Lower gearing is just going to cover up the erratic surging surely?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:21 pm

Mad Frosty wrote:... sometimes all it takes its a good cleaning session ...

Correct, but never mind cleaning the carb if you've done that already. Clean the engine rather (after you've made sure the valves are correctly set, filter clean, good oil etc) by riding it warm, then hammering the shite out of it for some time, at least half an hour. Avoiding a long WO distance but modulating it hard under load will clean 'wrong' carbon deposits in places where you don't want them - which the previous owner may have caused by nursing this bike perhaps, or maybe you yourself did it? In any case, this sometimes makes a day & night difference, and there's nothing wrong with doing it.
Maybe try, maybe not... Bump

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum