Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Owner [NE Ohio]

Go down

New Owner [NE Ohio] Empty New Owner [NE Ohio]

Post  Guest Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:19 pm

Hey guys, just picked up a 2000 XRR. Been riding street bikes for awhile and this is my first "dirt bike". Love it in everyway, lots of fun! Got it with the stock wheels and 17" SM wheels and tires, as well as a Trail Tech Speedo/Tach/etc.. Took it out on the farm where we ride our 4 wheelers last week amd it was a blast!

The bike does need a good once over clean up, as there seema to be some foul play. First, there is NO KILL SWITCH on the bars or elsewhere that I have found :/ No turn signals - or wires for them that I've found. There is however lighting for a brake and tail light, at least the wires are there and they have power (rear brake switch too). The seat leaves gaps around the side and rear plastics, maybe not the right seat?

Also, this is my first bike without a battery, it does have a little bundle of AA batteries under the seat, and I believe a saw a Baja Designs R/R under there, too. So maybe it has upgraded stator, too? I should be able to take stator measurments from a plug going to R/R, yes?

Anywhos, I plan to tear it all down and clean it up and replace parts along the way. I'll post up aome pictures as well along the way. Only thing I've done thus far is plasti dip the side covers to cover up these vinyl skull decals on it. Not my style :P

Thank any input would be greatly appreciated!!

-Dave

Back to top Go down

New Owner [NE Ohio] Empty Re: New Owner [NE Ohio]

Post  Mauser Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:18 pm

Welcome... many new owners have wiring problems...usually due to a botched up install or someone trying to make the bikes street legal....what do you want on the bike when she is finished ?....US bikes have the most basic of wiring compared to the UK/EU models which are full road legal as stock....I would work out what you want and start from there.
Mauser
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:41 pm

Well it is already street legal (well at least at one point in time), and plated for the road. Basically want to be SM and be able to swap out the wheels for the knobbies on the weekends for the dirt. Previous owner botched, but I am alright with electronics. Nothing crazy, I have a meter and soldering skills and have fixed up previous bikes wiring hacks.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:52 pm

Welcome nice
The stator its very easy to check , open the cover and have a look , or take a picture and post it here , the US stator its easy to spot as its nearly empty , yours will be very likely upgraded one ( home rewound or ricki stators or Baja designs stator ) .

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:20 pm

Should I be expecting oil to come out as well? I would like to get readings to determine power output.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:23 pm

There is no oil on that side of the engine all dry BRP smile  ,  one of the screws its little bit tricky to remove , you need the thin/ skiny   attachment for your ratchet the standard type fatty ones will not fit in the gap  scratch

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:59 am

akaDirtyHarold wrote:Should I be expecting oil to come out as well? I would like to get readings to determine power output.
Not un-common to get a small amount of oil under the cover, no need to remove the cover to get a reading ?....but unless you can place a load on the system you won't measure power output, see how many wires and what colours come from the stator.

"•Power is additive in any configuration of resistive circuit: PTotal = P1 + P2 + . . . Pn"

Mauser
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down