Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

n00b From SoCal

Go down

n00b From SoCal Empty n00b From SoCal

Post  Guest Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:39 am

Greetings all - I picked up a 2005 this summer for $4500.00 USD.  It was a friend of mine's bike that he took care of meticulously and kitted it out with nearly all of the farkles most XRRs have.

The awesome things that came with it:
-Top-end rebuild <40hrs
-Scotts steering stabilizer
-Suspension work (Nicoll Racing)
-Acerbis 6.3gal tank
-IMS 4.6gal tank
-Stock tank
-Extra set of wheels/discs/tires
-Extra plastics
-Honda service manual
-Many extra consumables (filters, cables,backfire screen, misc...)

I currently ride a '12 F800GS as a daily commuter and long-distance explorer.

Plan for the XRR is to use it in Ocotillo and Baja as time allows.

It's plated (in OR) so I'm going to dual sport it as well occasionally.

That said, I intend to get the Tusk DS kit and put some DS tires on the extra set of wheels.

Any of you have experience with the Tusk kit? It seems like a cheap alternative to the BD >$500 kit.

Also, for those that DS their XRR, what tires are you running? The stock tire sizes (80/100-21; 110/100-18) limit selection.  There are several decent options in the 90/90-21 and 120/90-18 sizes (specifically looking at the MEFO Explorers).

What effect if any will the 90/90 and 120/90 have on the XRR's performance/capability?

Thanks,
Adrian

Current:
'12 BMW F800GS; '05 Honda XR650R
Gone But Not Forgotten:
'07 Honda CRF450X; '07 Honda CRF250R; '06 Husqvarna 450SMR; 04 Yamaha YZ250F; '01 Honda FTR223; '00 Kawasaki KZ1000P; '00 Suzuki SV650; '92 Honda VFR400; '86 Honda CR250

Last edited by Arclite on Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

n00b From SoCal Empty Re: n00b From SoCal

Post  Guest Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:28 pm

Ooh farkoff, another noob thinking he can join the boys by bragging about his L, he's even proudly choose that denomer under his avatar!
Blabla Ohlins, blabla wheels, blabla XRR, bla.......... huh?

Wait, let me put my glasses on....... oh!

Rrrright, umm, uh Embarassed .... ah, Welcome Arclite! Bump
Never mind some geriatric blind geezers here, ignore them pls Wink
You'll love this bike, it's a cracker worth flogging as well as cherishing.

Now change that "L Rider" under your avatar please? BRP smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:41 pm

Thanks BuRP - looks like I'll have to get cracking at some post to up my "L Rider" ranking!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:05 pm

I started out with Dunlop D606's for dirt street mix, they work pretty good have a stiff carcass so you run low PSI off road but they tend to melt on pavement pretty fast and at about $90 each that's not cool. Have been running the Kenda K270 rear which is a good mix for dirt street, it has a little softer carcass so you have to run a little higher PSI but has very good traction in dirt and slow wear on pavement and only costs around $55. For the front the Kenda K760 is a good compromise for dirt street at $48 and it lasts about the same as the Dunlop. A 120 is just about right on the rear in my opinion, the 130 is pretty big but puts a lot of rubber on the ground when aired down.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:25 pm

Welcome in the nuthouse cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:47 am

Welcome Acrlite and congrats on getting your bike!cheers   Lots of valuable info in here for the XRR and a chance to meet fellow owners from around the world! 2 thumbs

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:59 pm

Yoo FOCKER,

hope you read here - what's going on please?

Poor noob Arclite has to endure being ridiculed by some idjits (yeah, moi Cool ) first because he has a mandatory "L Rider" under his name? Come on now, if anybody you know this forum is for R-men, and the Ladies' forum is next door.... change that bit on this awesome website please?
Dunno Mauser, if Bru Fock ain't reading here, can you perhaps do this? Hell, maybe there's a good reason for it, or just taking the piss a bit, dunno Bump

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:26 pm

The L rider is a nudge to post more topics/replies it doesn't reflect that the member is actually a L rider in the real world listen up
Mauser
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down