1st BRP!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

1st BRP!

Post  XRD4 on Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:43 am

Picked her up this weekend, 2000 with low time.Original tires,bars,grips.Tank graphic is rough but that's an easy fix.Fully restricted and stock except for gearing 15/52. Fired up with no problem and runs as well as expected. Question, I really like it quiet the way it is but would like it to at least breathe better. Is that possible? I uncorked and rejetted my former XR 250 and putting the peashooter back in it really didn't hurt the performance that bad.

http://s2.photobucket.com/user/DEE-4/library/XR650R
XRD4
L Rider

XR650R Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Re: 1st BRP!

Post  JRZ7285 on Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:53 am

Welcome...and sharp lookin bike! You should definitely uncork your piggy you will notice a difference in power! Check this video out on exhaust comparisons it may help you decide... cheers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3y-jHLyUpNo
JRZ7285
XRR Jockey

XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post  SkidMark on Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:23 pm

Welcome banana

You need to uncork it otherwise your only riding half a bike. ...
SkidMark
XRR Freak

XR650R Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser on Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:22 pm

Yes your only riding an L..... listen up get her uncorked.... Bump

Mauser
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  XRD4 on Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:31 pm

Uncorking it is then!
XRD4
L Rider

Back to top Go down

Post  Mad Frosty on Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:41 pm

Welcome nice
The Uncorked bike its not that loud , or you can always install the FMF quiet core end can , its nicely dampened with the spark arrestor in .
Mad Frosty
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  XRD4 on Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:32 pm

Got all my uncorking stuff ordered so I'm good to go.Took a ride on it today in total corked mode and it gets a terrible bog about 4th gear 3/4 throttle range.Almost like pulling a drag chute. It runs absolutely fine up until then. The bike starts ridiculously easy and runs strong until you really get into the main jet. No weird noises or anything to make me think anything otherwise than it's just starving for fuel. (jet too small)
XRD4
L Rider

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser on Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:00 pm

Corked is reducing your power by 25%.... Frustrated

Mauser
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  BuRP on Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:54 am

"Corked is reducing your power by 25%"

Hmm, let's see.
Corked main is 115, decorked is ~165.
It follows that (115**2)/(165**2)=0.48.
Nope, corked is less than half of the vooma of the uncorked beast BRP smile
Food Mauser, fuel, that's the power indicator.

After buying mine from the owner of a shop, less than 100Km old but with road tyres, aftermarket bars and pipe, I rode it home, full of pride expecting to having to tame a hooligan of a monster. I arrived home (6Km) disappointed with this meek lamb which could not be forced to misbehave, the only nice bit being the loud pipe.... however pretty much misfitting because the bike was a let down, it had zero 'monster' in it. Not quite a moped but quite similar indeed.
Yeah, next I fiddled with it, checked all & sundry and rode it again, but obviously to no avail; the thing was new.
Then someone mentioned "decorking" - say what? I got as answer to check the inlet manifold, and true's Bob it had been cut open - which I told the guy, and then he said all must have been done then, you've got the 'real deal'.
Being a dimwit I internetted 'decorking' a bit, and found out what decorking was, and checked all.
Nothing had been done but the pipe & manifold, even the two plastic plugs were still in the intake, and the desmog rubbish was also still on it.
Properly modified/decorked I kicked it to life, and remember the day still BRP smile Bump listen up
For this reason alone I cannot fathom that corked std bikes still exist, and how lucky the new owners must be: having testridden a lame thing but still impressed enough to buy it, used & old & all. Then those who do some homework will find out that the thing can be turned, MUST actually, into the beast it really is!
Do it, let it rip, it's what Honda intended to build anyway were it not for the environmental laws!

BuRP
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

Post  XRD4 on Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:58 am

BuRP wrote:"Corked is reducing your power by 25%"

Hmm, let's see.
Corked main is 115, decorked is ~165.
It follows that (115**2)/(165**2)=0.48.
Nope, corked is less than half of the vooma of the uncorked beast  BRP smile
Food Mauser, fuel, that's the power indicator.

After buying mine from the owner of a shop, less than 100Km old but with road tyres, aftermarket bars and pipe, I rode it home, full of pride expecting to having to tame a hooligan of a monster. I arrived home (6Km) disappointed with this meek lamb which could not be forced to misbehave, the only nice bit being the loud pipe.... however pretty much misfitting because the bike was a let down, it had zero 'monster' in it. Not quite a moped but quite similar indeed.
Yeah, next I fiddled with it, checked all & sundry and rode it again, but obviously to no avail; the thing was new.
Then someone mentioned "decorking" - say what? I got as answer to check the inlet manifold, and true's Bob it had been cut open - which I told the guy, and then he said all must have been done then, you've got the 'real deal'.
Being a dimwit I internetted 'decorking' a bit, and found out what decorking was, and checked all.
Nothing had been done but the pipe & manifold, even the two plastic plugs were still in the intake, and the desmog rubbish was also still on it.
Properly modified/decorked I kicked it to life, and remember the day still  BRP smile  Bump  listen up
For this reason alone I cannot fathom that corked std bikes still exist, and how lucky the new owners must be: having testridden a lame thing but still impressed enough to buy it, used & old & all. Then those who do some homework will find out that the thing can be turned, MUST actually, into the beast it really is!
Do it, let it rip, it's what Honda intended to build anyway were it not for the environmental laws!

This kind of talk gets me all tingly.....LOL!!!
XRD4
L Rider

Back to top Go down

Post  beaver350 on Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:09 am

Your butt cheeks will feel tingly also after you throw away all the corking crap, don't know what altitude you ride at but at sea level 175 main,68s pilot,B53E needle set to third clip works really well, if you want long legs for highway try 15/41 , that is OZ set up,good cruising revs but still good performance listen up Bananatool

beaver350
L Rider

XR650R Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post  BuRP on Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:30 am

XRD4,

"tingly" - you're a girl?
If so send a pic pls, I absolutely love tingly girls BRP smile
If yours is corked still try to wheelie it - doesn't really work does it?
Put the real stuff in, retry and... uh, erm, watch your back? Bump
BuRP
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  XRD4 on Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:00 pm

Nope,not a girl.....Those are the pieces mentioned above I ordered. All my riding is done below 1000' so it should work just fine. I can only imagine what this beast will be like.
XRD4
L Rider

Back to top Go down

Post  BuRP on Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:50 am

Damn, a bloke.... so out the window goes my expectation to receive some properly filth tingly pics in my mailbox Rolling Eyes

Consider yourself lucky to have found a bike that's never been stressed before, a corked one is asthmatic to say the least.
Pls tell me/us, you test-rode it, and you liked it? Or, perhaps you already knew about uncorking - which I most certainly did not?
In any case pls report back here when the cork is off, you'll be hard pushed to get that smirk off yer mug Bump
BuRP
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  XRD4 on Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:10 am

BuRP, I did a lot of research before buying. As a former XR owner,250 & 350 I was well aware of uncorking one. It ran as I expected,actually better, on my test ride. I wasn't able to really get on it hard until I got it home. For just normal play riding it would probably work,but after you ride any uncorked XR you know there's a lot more there.
XRD4
L Rider

Back to top Go down

Post  XRD4 on Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:34 pm

Finally got to work on her this afternoon.Went ahead and checked the valves while I was at it.Exhaust were fine,intake were just a smidge tight so I reset them. I did not have time to drill out the baffle so I can only give my impression with the stock pipe. She fired on the second try with a nice smooth idle. Clicked her into gear and putted across the yard.Grabbed a second a hit the throttle,to my surprise no wheelie. Then I looked behind me and saw the 10' rip in the yard! Took her out on the street and I really see what everyone is talking about! A third gear wheelie is no problem at all and it continues to pull all the way thru the throttle. Yahoooo! Night and day difference. I'll get the end cap drilled when I can but it runs like a bear just as it sits.
XRD4
L Rider

Back to top Go down

Post  Mad Frosty on Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:51 am

Good news then nice
Mad Frosty
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  BuRP on Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:19 am

LOL, one of those moments when you won't mind some dudes saying "we told you so" BRP smile
Now go get that quiet end into a noisy end, after all what goes in must be able to get out too!
And, enjoy your new bike Bump

Oh, and 1 thing: please don't mention wheelies here, as Mauser will be up in arms immediately saying 'not possible' asking for it
BuRP
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  XRD4 on Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:13 pm

Ok,it didn't wheelie...nudge nudge,wink wink....The wife just looked out in the backyard and she's none too happy.Such is the life of a BRP owner I guess! LOL!!!!!
XRD4
L Rider

Back to top Go down

Post  XRD4 on Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:00 pm

Got around to checking my clutch bushing today.I knew this pig was a low hour bike but this was ridiculous. The clutch hub had absolutely no signs of notching,heck it looked practically new.Plates were in great shape. The bushing showed no sign of wear on the shaft at all.I put the improved bushing in just to ease my mind.Finished drilling out the end cap also. Added a 1.6 radiator cap and now I just need to service the forks and get my new rear knobby on. Looking forward to many years of fun on this thing.
XRD4
L Rider

Back to top Go down

Post  BuRP on Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:20 am

Irrespective the minimal hours on it XRD4, you'd be best off to replace 2 things: the clutch bushing & the seal behind the counter sprocket. Both these items on a 2000 model probably (if not a given) have a problem, and what you will buy now is the better/improved version. Not a fortune, and the 'old' parts may make for a nice plaything on your toilet... or in your bedroom if you're married for eons already BRP smile
But you lucky git you, almost new still hmm? Treat it as such then, you won't sell this bike once you've bonded with it is my guess Bump
BuRP
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  BuRP on Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:33 am

Wait: if you look at the clutch bushing it should have some, let's call them indentations, milled in the inner surface. This is for oil to sit into, a kind of 'reserve' for marginal lubrication periods.
But, that's the new type.... so if you don't see this then just buy the new bush.
No idea what looks different on the seal but for the number, I've been told that this thing has been updated twice... just buy a new one.
BuRP
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  XRD4 on Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:55 am

I replaced the old bushing with the updated part number as per the bulletin.I'll get to the countershaft before good riding weather gets here.I was really lucky to find this thing.I wanted one when they came out but just couldn't seem to come across one.
XRD4
L Rider

Back to top Go down

Post  XRD4 on Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:17 pm

Forks serviced and new rear on. Some snot but not really bad.Really good flushing and everything works nice and smooth.No rust,yeah!
XRD4
L Rider

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum