Gearbox noise

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Gearbox noise

Post  appleseed on Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:28 am

On the topic of engine noise, how noisy are peoples gearboxes?

Mines noticeable and the noise goes away when I am stationary and pull in the clutch. Cant really say if its noisy when moving as it may be masked by other sounds (exhaust etc)

Obviously this is also assuming the noise is from the gearbox.
avatar
appleseed
XRR Jockey

Joined : 2014-10-09

Posts : 159
Location : United Kingdom
XR650R Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Re: Gearbox noise

Post  Mad Frosty on Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:16 pm

Never heard of a noisy gearbox on a xrr , are you sure ?
avatar
Mad Frosty
XRR Monger

Joined : 2012-11-26

Posts : 1179
Location : UK
XR650R Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Re: Gearbox noise

Post  appleseed on Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:37 pm

tbh I am not sure if its from the gearbox or clutch related.

All I know is the noisy goes away when I pull the clutch in. I did change the clutch plates, judder springs  last week and checked what I could and everything looked fine.
I didn't change the clutch bushing though, which apparently can be an issue on the 00 - 01 ones (mines an RY so I think 2000).

The noise hasn't got any worse and haven't seen any other piggies so I don't know if its a "normal" noise and to be honest I have only noticed it recently but it may have always been there as I have only ridden her 6 or 7 times so have only started to notice the "bad" points/habits of this new relationship.Wink
avatar
appleseed
XRR Jockey

Joined : 2014-10-09

Posts : 159
Location : United Kingdom
XR650R Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Re: Gearbox noise

Post  appleseed on Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:22 pm

found this

"
WEAK CLUTCH BASKET DAMPENER SPRINGS
(at rear of clutch basket) - If these have sagged or lost tension the clutch will be noisy at idle and low revs, the noise will usually diminish when you pull in the clutch.
"
so may be nothing serious...
avatar
appleseed
XRR Jockey

Joined : 2014-10-09

Posts : 159
Location : United Kingdom
XR650R Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Re: Gearbox noise

Post  Mauser on Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:07 pm

Here's my baby with clutch in and out.... Bump sorry about the dirty engine Bump Bump Bump

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dcpTczsMeU


_________________
Current ~  XR650R ~ XJR1300SP ~ ZX12-R ~ DT175MX
Previous Bikes XR250R ~ DT125R ~ GPZ1100 ~ RD350LC ~ XL125R ~ MT5
avatar
Mauser
Administrator

Joined : 2010-09-13

Posts : 1803
Location : UK
XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Re: Gearbox noise

Post  Mad Frosty on Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:25 pm

appleseed wrote:tbh I am not sure if its from the gearbox or clutch related.

All I know is the noisy goes away when I pull the clutch in. I did change the clutch plates, judder springs  last week and checked what I could and everything looked fine.
I didn't change the clutch bushing though, which apparently can be an issue on the 00 - 01 ones (mines an RY so I think 2000).

The noise hasn't got any worse and haven't seen any other piggies so I don't know if its a "normal" noise and to be honest I have only noticed it recently but it may have always been there as I have only ridden her 6 or 7 times so have only started to notice the "bad" points/habits of this new relationship.Wink

I was paranoid about the sounds comming out of my engine untill i have heard new one , it sounded exactly the same ( like a bag of spanners / or a ducati if you like ) Bump
avatar
Mad Frosty
XRR Monger

Joined : 2012-11-26

Posts : 1179
Location : UK
XR650R Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Re: Gearbox noise

Post  Mad Frosty on Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:26 pm

Mauser wrote:Here's my baby with clutch in and out.... Bump sorry about the dirty engine Bump Bump Bump

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dcpTczsMeU


Yupp , sounds like mine . lol!
avatar
Mad Frosty
XRR Monger

Joined : 2012-11-26

Posts : 1179
Location : UK
XR650R Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Re: Gearbox noise

Post  appleseed on Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:29 pm

does seem to sound different with the clutch disengaged but similar to mine. maybe quieter than mine.

I''ll try record mine tomorrow, but from the clutch side.

also the motor is farking filthy, you should ashamed ! barf barf barf
avatar
appleseed
XRR Jockey

Joined : 2014-10-09

Posts : 159
Location : United Kingdom
XR650R Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Re: Gearbox noise

Post  Mauser on Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:52 pm

Mad Frosty wrote:
Mauser wrote:Here's my baby with clutch in and out.... Bump sorry about the dirty engine Bump Bump Bump

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dcpTczsMeU


Yupp , sounds like mine . lol!

Yeah yeah yours only sounds as quiet as mine as your gearbox is stuffed with sawdust..... StirPot

_________________
Current ~  XR650R ~ XJR1300SP ~ ZX12-R ~ DT175MX
Previous Bikes XR250R ~ DT125R ~ GPZ1100 ~ RD350LC ~ XL125R ~ MT5
avatar
Mauser
Administrator

Joined : 2010-09-13

Posts : 1803
Location : UK
XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Re: Gearbox noise

Post  Mad Frosty on Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:58 pm

Mauser wrote:
Mad Frosty wrote:
Mauser wrote:Here's my baby with clutch in and out.... Bump sorry about the dirty engine Bump Bump Bump

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dcpTczsMeU


Yupp , sounds like mine . lol!

Yeah yeah yours only sounds as quiet as mine as your gearbox is stuffed with sawdust..... StirPot

Its called the " magick dust " in the trade pirat
avatar
Mad Frosty
XRR Monger

Joined : 2012-11-26

Posts : 1179
Location : UK
XR650R Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Re: Gearbox noise

Post  Mad Frosty on Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:03 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ePc6ZVJDh4&feature=youtu.be

the numberplate its rattling , this reminded me that i need to sort it out beat head
avatar
Mad Frosty
XRR Monger

Joined : 2012-11-26

Posts : 1179
Location : UK
XR650R Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Re: Gearbox noise

Post  BuRP on Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:55 am

Nice bikes Gents, and Maddy's may be turned down in revs a bit I think - more engine braking then too BRP smile
avatar
BuRP
XRR Monger

Joined : 2010-10-18

Posts : 1557
Location : Pretoria Souf Efrika
XR650R Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

Re: Gearbox noise

Post  Mauser on Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:28 am

Why are the rev's also hanging Fruitiness ?...when you blip my throttle she drops down straight away...maybe remove all the rear subframe and rear light assembly will help banana ?.....she looks clean but I still prefer my basic simple looking US spec baby.

_________________
Current ~  XR650R ~ XJR1300SP ~ ZX12-R ~ DT175MX
Previous Bikes XR250R ~ DT125R ~ GPZ1100 ~ RD350LC ~ XL125R ~ MT5
avatar
Mauser
Administrator

Joined : 2010-09-13

Posts : 1803
Location : UK
XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Re: Gearbox noise

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum