Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wiring Dual Sport kit w. stock stator

Go down

Wiring Dual Sport kit w. stock stator Empty Wiring Dual Sport kit w. stock stator

Post  Guest Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:08 am

Hi! I just bought a 2000 XR650r and though I plan on getting a re-wound stator eventually, in the meantime I just really want to get the bike on the road with the stock setup+dual sport kit.

I e-mailed BajaDesigns about using the stock stator with their dual sport lighting kit and they said, "That stock stator puts out 80 watts so if you plan to run nothing more than the dual sport kit, you can run it off of the stock stator. If you decide to put anything else on the bike such as LED light, grip heaters, etc., you will have to get a stator rewind."

So with that, I'd love to wire it up now, but I was wondering if anyone has a wiring diagram, or a rough direction of what this set-up might look like - I've done some digging, but could only find diagrams of the re-wound stators + DS kit. The stock stator only has two wires coming out of it, but I have no idea where I would connect that to the dual sport kit and I don't want to do any damage blindly connecting wires till something turns on.

Thanks so much everyone!

Back to top Go down

Wiring Dual Sport kit w. stock stator Empty Re: Wiring Dual Sport kit w. stock stator

Post  Mauser Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:34 am

You will only have 55 watts from your stator the UK/European have a massive 74 watts.
You should have 6 wires from your stator, 2 are for the ignition pulse generator, then the other 4 are made of 2 pairs of wires running through 2 coils under the flywheel....
I pair feeds the ignition module direct and the other pair feeds the regulator which then gives the bike a regulated 12 volts AC to run the lights and that's about it ?.
So really your left with using this regulated AC supply to feed your dual sport, but you will have only 30 watts or less to play with, I wouldn't go nicking power from the ignition module....
Mauser
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Wiring Dual Sport kit w. stock stator Empty Re: Wiring Dual Sport kit w. stock stator

Post  Guest Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:37 am

Tom,

any wiring diagram is valid irrespective of the stator-size (ie rewound or not)!
However, there's a gazillion versions of them, with AC, DC or both, or worse if you've got a dual-winding stator, a duplication of the aforementioned.
KIS bru, unless you know what you're doing and have a reason to go complex, zilch offense pls.
Your location calls for heated grips I think, so that's a large consumer - which will burden your 80W supply so by all means go bigger on the stator. LEDs do not pull a lot so is not a reason to go up, however dual huge desert light setups (filament or hid) do suck power, go bigger for this.
Then, you want or need a battery? Maybe a cap is sufficient, dunno.
Get your homework aligned, then choose a setup you want and build it. On the latter, if at all possible I'd avoid using your BD stuff, heard to many bad things about this.... but if you cannot build it yourself by all means do, it's what it's there for.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:11 pm

Get ypurself a better stator lad , the american oem one sucks badly .

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:55 pm

Mauser wrote:You will only have 55 watts from your stator the UK/European have a massive 74 watts.
You should have 6 wires from your stator, 2 are for the ignition pulse generator, then the other 4 are made of 2 pairs of wires running through 2 coils under the flywheel....
I pair feeds the ignition module direct and the other pair feeds the regulator which then gives the bike a regulated 12 volts AC to run the lights and that's about it ?.
So really your left with using this regulated AC supply to feed your dual sport, but you will have only 30 watts or less to play with, I wouldn't go nicking power from the ignition module....

How many Watts do the UK bikes have to play with if I want to fix LED lights?

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:26 pm

Same as before 74 watts....if you go LED you will have more spare for other devices listen up
Mauser
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down