Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

XR650R Loud knocking after exit the HWY

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

XR650R Loud knocking after exit the HWY Empty XR650R Loud knocking after exit the HWY

Post  Guest Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:20 am

Hey Guys,
Here is the latest sad new with my SM, I really don't know what the noise could be and I never open a bike engine my self before only my 5.o liters mustang. Hope I can fix her myself. See if you can watch the video and listen to the noise and give me some ideas, it sound to me like the basket or is it the piston rod?

https://vid1152.photobucket.com/albums/p495/bikerman2000/Mobile%20Uploads/trim.26341CC9-4761-48CA-84CA-1C336F1678BE_zpskwpjcfoe.mp4

Back to top Go down

XR650R Loud knocking after exit the HWY Empty Re: XR650R Loud knocking after exit the HWY

Post  Guest Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:36 am

"highway.., knocking sound..., SM....."

Yeah, your bigend may be gone, which means a costly overhaul from the ground up. Carillo-rod perhaps?
This is a big single, meant for offroad hence varying loads, and try whatever but 'highway' is as far removed from H's design sheet as canoeing is.... in my opinion that is, you're welcome to differ.
Strip it, fix it and try again, but know that you're using this bike for a purpose it is not made for - quite unlike racing it as a SM btw, as there the loads will vary indeed!

Back to top Go down

XR650R Loud knocking after exit the HWY Empty Re: XR650R Loud knocking after exit the HWY

Post  Guest Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:40 am

Fair enough

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:40 pm

Hello Bikerman, out of interest what sort of klms does the bike have on it, how do you ride it (hard or take it easy) and what oil do you run in it (is it an American spec oil or european A3B4)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:48 pm

I ride it to work whenever I can (no hwy) I only use the hwy when I need to go downtown Toronto to avoid tradfic jam like yesterday. I consider I ride her on the edge most of the tine and I use Honda oil. So I found a machine shop already, I will start the tear down this weekend and see what I find in there, I will keep you posted and will have some pictures soon. Please what else I should change since I am going to have her apart?

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:55 pm

Pull the top first and see if anything looks wrong ?, wouldn't go pulling motor till I knew I had too ?
Mauser
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:14 pm

Ok thanks!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:07 am

Well I couldn't wait until the weekend so I started draning the oil and this is what I found so far
https://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p495/bikerman2000/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsklfmct5l.jpeg

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:09 am

Here are more pics
XR650R Loud knocking after exit the HWY Image_zpstgt1mgv9

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:11 am

XR650R Loud knocking after exit the HWY Image_zpsobrghbja

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:12 am

So there is no other than start getting the engine down and open that bottom end!;(

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:16 am

XR650R Loud knocking after exit the HWY Image_zpsklfmct5l

Guys I will need some help with the recommend parts I must change while I have her engine open, thanks in advance

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:28 am

XR650R Loud knocking after exit the HWY Image_zpsfw95ukjr

The valves train looks ok, i didn't have time last night to pull it off

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:37 am

Well guys I did some progress today. At least the particles from the oil are not steel, either is plastic or Aluminum. I removed the exhaust, the heathers and radiator out of the way, unfortunately I couldn't keep working since my little boy has to go to bed and my wife was busy working. Here are some pictures of the progress

XR650R Loud knocking after exit the HWY Image_zpszjbw5qgx

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:41 am

XR650R Loud knocking after exit the HWY Image_zpsf7s5rkw1

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:43 am

XR650R Loud knocking after exit the HWY Image_zpsmncjspes

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:46 am

XR650R Loud knocking after exit the HWY Image_zpsfo7aayar

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:51 am

XR650R Loud knocking after exit the HWY Image_zpsvc28uqwe

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:35 am

Sorry to see BM,

but I think my hunch was right. If you're always on the edge (big cohonas hmm?) then I'd consider that carillo rod maybe, and replace everything that needs it according to the manual plus all what is a bearing and seal. Also, now is the time to check the driveshaft's splines.
It's going to cost but then you'll have "new", a pretty thought indeed Smile
Don't want to be funny but Honda does not make oil... so what is the oil you use hmm? Better buy from someone who actually makes oil, Shell, Esso, Agip, Elf etc are names we all know. Oh, Castrol also buys its oil and markets it (very well even) but anyone is welcome to differ here. Caltex Delo 400 is a diesel multigrade which will do well, same like Shell Helix Ultra (a full synth). Pls google these oils first and then call me an idiot thereafter, I'm a big boy already.... but know I run the Helix in all I have, for reason the Delo I can't get too easlily here. Oh, no, I'm not saying that the oil is to blame or something, I think that old age combined with somewhat different use is the reason.... but if you start your new engine off with real good oil, and you don't labour neither stretch the revs for too long at a time then it'll love you for longer Bump

Oh, yes, some small outfits (forget the French lot's name) exist which make real good oils, however at a price. No doubt some US stuff also will exist, but do you want to pay a serious premium over those oils of the real big names - which have loads more to loose if they don't do the job? Your prerogative, just google and choose BRP smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:10 am

Fsir enough burrp, I get your point, for sure I will start this build right to have a nice reliable bike. What about Motul synth oil? Any of you ue it?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:55 pm

Motul - that's the name of the Frogs I forgot!
Good stuff, pricey though, but from real oilmakers rather than rebranders.
Throw us some pics when you've stripped it pls? It's all guys here, we like strippers! Bump

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:24 pm

Lol! For sure I will

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:24 am

Well guys promise is a promise, here is my "new" stand lol! I have a question i remove the chain and from the front sprocket, so when I remove the swing arm bolt, does the rear tire has to be completely off the swing arm?

XR650R Loud knocking after exit the HWY Image_zpsjfbirbjb

XR650R Loud knocking after exit the HWY Image_zpsklfsvrlr

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:34 am

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:36 am

Well that's all for today! I will keep the tear down on the weekend! Wait for some feed back on the swing arm removal bolt from any one who has sone this before. I will take a pick on the service manual anyway to see whay I can find.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next