Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

winter tyres

Go down

winter tyres Empty winter tyres

Post  Guest Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:15 pm

Sadly its that time of the year and with it comes the endless mud bogs/ruts in the eastern swamps of Cambridgeshire Neutral

So the question is which is best, a 120/90/18 or a 130/80/18 in the mud or am i just wasting time thinking about it?

Was thinking of going for Michelin S12XC front and rear or AC10 on the rear (120/90/18 only) and S12XC on the front.

Suggestions welcome, note that I do have to do some tar as well so would prefer tyres that aren't to scary on wet roads.

cheers

Back to top Go down

winter tyres Empty Re: winter tyres

Post  Guest Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:38 pm

I would try a Terra Flex in 140-80-18, these things are huge, heavy and have knobs about an 1" tall or in England about 12.5mm. There a little scary on wet asphalt when new. I put one on a Buell Ulysses a couple years ago for an ADV Ride. NO ONE wanted to follow me on gravel roads. Now asphalt was another story. M5B is a good mud tire, sketchy on wet asphalt. IRC VE-33 Vulcanduro is another choice, they wear like iron and have good asphalt manners. Another choice would be a Sedona 907HP, had one on a CRF450X on an ADV ride. mostly asphalt, some gravel roads . 1740 miles on asphalt WFO all the time and gravel WFO. Tire still could have 200 miles left on it. Now if you were to stud it with carbide studs I'm sure it would last a winter. I have one that's on it's third winter off road and it's still working. There cheap, heavy and really stiff. I would suggest, warm them up to about 100 degrees to put one on. Hope this confuses you. lol Forest

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:55 pm

thanks forest but I had already bought Michelin comp 4 for the front the comp 3 for the rear rear as the S12XC's are not road legal.

Sadly I cant find the vulcanduro's in the UK, (I used to run them on my yz490 in south africa and they were awesome Smile )

Never seen the terra flex tyres before so dont know if they are available in the uk either, just googled them and holi crap thats an aggressive looking tyre affraid
probably good for gravel and such but dont know how they will deal with the bog/clay we have to endure in the winter

But sadly I am still waiting for my replacement fmf header so haven't ridden in almost two months  angry  ..

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:21 pm

Terra Flex Tires are available thru MandH tires. com it sunny California for $119.00. God no's what shipping would be to UK.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down