Need Help

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Need Help

Post  Trigxr650r on Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:49 am

2000 xr650r
I have cleaned the throttle housing and replaced the Motion pro cables but still have this problem .
When the bike is off , You can open the throttle and it snaps closed easy peezzy but when you start the bike and its idling and you open the throttle and let go it hangs up about 2000rpms then drops , When your riding and shift between 1st & 2nd that hang up causes a hard clunk gear shift as if you just speed shifted into 2nd without letting off the gas , Same when your riding along and let go of the throttle it keeps motoring a second before deceleration , Almost like a vacuum is holding it open ?

Could it be a vac hose leaking , the one thats plugged seems old & not very tight at the carb ... Any help guys to get me back riding the bike , As it is now I hate riding the thing
Trigxr650r
L Rider

XR650R Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Re: Need Help

Post  JRZ7285 on Sun May 01, 2016 2:40 am

Just out of curiosity why is that air line plugged? scratch
JRZ7285
XRR Jockey

XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post  Trigxr650r on Sun May 01, 2016 2:02 pm

JRZ7285 wrote:Just out of curiosity why is that air line plugged? scratch

I checked the manual and found its the fuel overflow , The one that sits in the rubber pad under the tank , Dont know why its plugged , PO had it that way , Dont believe its the problem since its not a vent tube , Suggestions say I should check the throttle slide might be hanging up , Never in my 47yrs have I had that problem but I guess its worth a look .
Trigxr650r
L Rider

XR650R Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post  BuRP on Wed May 04, 2016 12:43 pm

JRZ7285 wrote:Just out of curiosity why is that air line plugged?

My idea also, is it?
He is talking about that little cover on the LHS - take it off, watch the spring & diaphragm behind it, and inspect the cover itself.
There's small/tiny hole in it which you better plug with a droplet of epoxy-glue. This will disable this silly, environmental system... which perhaps has the diaphragm torn or deteriorated? If so just plug the hole, put back the junk and forget about it.
BuRP
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

Post  motolombardo on Wed May 25, 2016 7:25 pm

Ive got the same damn problem you do. bike hangs at high idle then eventually drops. Checked cables, valves, jets are not clogged, no air leaks, adjusted fuel screw and tried multiple configurations with plugging the air cutoff valve. still doing it. if you google XR650R high idle you'll see this is a common problem with no exact cause. some (like myself) have tried everything short of buying a new carb, others have had success with a valve adjustment or plugging the ACV, some have even had the issue go away on its own which is what I'm hoping for.

motolombardo
L Rider

XR650R Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser on Wed May 25, 2016 11:07 pm

Guess you could unhook the cables from the carb and just be 100% sure it's not them ?

Mauser
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  BuRP on Thu May 26, 2016 11:24 am

Here's another take on this phenomenon.
First, make 200% (yes, do it twice) sure that the valves are set correct (remember the auto-decomp system!).
Then, idle the warm/hot bike sitting vertical on a stand (and run a hosepipe over a radiator to keep it cool enough). Then wave a gasburner withOUT flame (if you want to keep your bike that is, otherwise burn it to ashes) but with gas only over the intake manifold, the rubber bung between head & carb.
If the revs pick up you've found the problem, renew the intake rubber.
BuRP
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

hanging revs

Post  temporary kiwi on Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:14 am

this can have a few causes, but for most part they are lean mixture related, you are correct burp to mention the manifold air leak diagnosis, its a common cause of this problem, another cause is a clogged idle jet circuit- and or idle fuel jet, a float level set too low or another less diagnoised cause- blocked float chamber vents, including the rubber hoses connected to such vent. this means that a vacume can build up in the float chamber that starves idle circuit of fuel

temporary kiwi
XRR Jockey

XR650R Year : 02

Back to top Go down

Post  Josh012 on Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:30 am

Had similar problem and it was resolved by making sure to perfectly align the cables with carb to prevent a slight binding that was occurring. Also make sure the push/pull cable adjustment on the carburetor is just right. This cleared it up for me. To test this when the idle is hanging manually fully close the carb and see if the idle drops.
Josh012
L Rider

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum