Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Left Case Broken

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Left Case Broken Empty Left Case Broken

Post  Guest Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:49 am

Today having fun with my XR and chain broke and got me with a broken left case.  F-ing sucks.  This is only the 6th time I have had it out since I purchased it.  What is the best most durable chain recommended for this bike?

I owned a XR600L and the same thing happened with it long ago.  That time resulted in some injury but this time it did not.Left Case Broken 8-6-1611

Back to top Go down

Left Case Broken Empty Re: Left Case Broken

Post  Guest Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:54 am

Any experienced suggestions on where to get the best priced parts and any other information would be helpful.

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:36 am

I fitted the 520 D.I.D ZVM-X chain to my bike....http://sprocketcenter.com/did-520-zvmx-super-street-series-x-ring-sealed-chain.html

Why did you run your bike with a chain that was sub standard ?....what was fitted how old etc ?, once your case breaks your buggered; replacement left sides are like hens teeth Frustrated
Mauser
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:20 pm

Mauser wrote:I fitted the 520 D.I.D ZVM-X chain to my bike....http://sprocketcenter.com/did-520-zvmx-super-street-series-x-ring-sealed-chain.html

Why did you run your bike with a chain that was sub standard ?....what was fitted how old etc ?, once your case breaks your buggered; replacement left sides are like hens teeth Frustrated

I may have ran a substandard chain or a defective one. Chain was new with only about 100 miles on it.  It was rated at 520 and 7800 lbs tensile strength.  I thru the box away so not sure make.  Anyway its done.  Need to make a more educated decision.  If this one is the best then I will purchase it in the future, once I have this damaged repaired.  Had the same thing happen on my XR600.   Little upset about chains at this point.  The XR 600 was the last bike I owned.  Little upset about chains.  Need to make sure I purchase a higher quality next time.  Apparently that may be my problem.  So how do you know if you purchase a high quality chain versus just paying a higher price.  How do you really know what you are buying?

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:03 pm

D.I.D are probably the best chains in the world, well documented as regards to durability and tensile strength etc, end of the day they all need maintenance so even good chains will break if not looked after. The 1 mentioned is rated well above the bikes power and I have 100% confidence in the product. I would never buy a chain unbranded which states "High Performance" "Super Tough" and all the other stupid phrases they use....Smile.
I hope you can get your case welded up OK otherwise your on the hunt for a busted engine to rob parts from.
Mauser
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:31 am

It hurts just too look at that! Can you post a pic of your broken chain? curious to see the break in the chain!
D.I.D. chains should be the standard for these Torque monsters and not be substituted, make sure to use a staked link and not the clip style!

Hope you get it sorted out Spoke!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:39 pm

Spokelh,

6 times?????
Then I know what the problem is - and it's NOT the chain, or brand, or sprocket, or oil, or maintenance.... it's YOU!!!
You still use the clip-type link don't you?
There you go, they're not even to be used on your lawnmower.
Use a RIVET-link - for which' job it is best to use a DID Riveting Tool.
Whilts you're busy buying this tool you may as well buy a DID chain, there's no better.
What type of DID chain?
Fork nows, ask your friendly dealer BRP smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:07 pm

BuRP wrote:Spokelh,

6 times?????
Then I know what the problem is - and it's NOT the chain, or brand, or sprocket, or oil, or maintenance.... it's YOU!!!
Whilts you're busy buying this tool you may as well buy a DID chain, there's no better.
What type of DID chain?
Yes only road it 6 times when this happened. It was a clip chain. You satisfied. Did not know any better but from being on this forum I do, so I am happy to have great help from you all like you. Just want to do it correctly from this point on. I do not want to have this problem again with the case.  A proper case saver would have definitely reduced the problem on my the 650.  Only had the stock Case saver.  Tore this on up a bit.  Did no good obviously.  
A proper chain will be needed of course.  DID is on my list to buy.  If there is a stronger one out there then I will get that one.  I will have to post a pic of the break in the chain. It did not break at the clip though.

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:22 pm

The 1 I posted is the strongest they do in a 520 pitch Smile...that's why I firred it Bump
Mauser
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:33 am

Spokelh wrote:
BuRP wrote:Spokelh,

6 times?????
What type of DID chain?
Yes only road it 6 times when this happened.  It was a clip chain. You satisfied.   Did not know any better but from being on this forum I do, so I am happy to have great help from you all like you.  Just want to do it correctly from this point on.  I do not want to have this problem again with the case.  A proper case saver would have definitely reduced the problem on my the 650.  Only had the stock Case saver.  Tore this on up a bit.  Did no good obviously.  
A proper chain will be needed of course.  DID is on my list to buy.  If there is a stronger one out there then I will get that one.  I will have to post a pic of the break in the chain.  It did not break at the clip though.  

I think BuRP misuderstood you and thought you broke your chain 6 times

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:30 am

Yes I did, however having to replace cases (both!) can be easily avoided.

First off SpokelH, I hope you can get new cases - which, obviously, will have an effect on your registration also, new number perhaps?
Then the std case saver is, but you know that now, rubbish. Look for a better one at XRsOnly, and know it is dependant on the size of your front sprocket.
Lastly, NEVER use a clip-type link, and reread my first post, 'not even on a lawnmover' better take literally. Yeah, I know there's a gazillion guys using them for years, never had a problem and blablabla, but I repeat "Never use them!".
You see, a rivet-link CANNOT come loose (if properly riveted hence my suggestion to buy the DID-tool (which of course will do any brand of chain)), so you would have saved your cases in this case (spot the pun lol) - worth it you will agree, so not you have learned.

The most important remark here must be 'please repair the bike?' - for it is a cracker, and you've only rode it (so I find out) 6 times..... it is worth it if you dunno it yet, nothing compares.
Goodluck from my side, and once it is fixed please post a piccie? Bump

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:18 pm

SpokelH,

just in case you dunno it, that DID tool also breaks the chain - anywhere, you just take a link out.
You will have to count (use the old chain) the links you need for your bike (dep't on the sprockets, and DO put the back wheel most-forward in the swinger first!), and then you 'break' the new chain accordingly.
Oh, yes, when you buy a new chain you ask them to add two (2!) rivet links to it - 1 you'll use and the 2nd a spare, handy to have if ever you need to take the chain off the bike.
If you're new to this practice on your old chain, some experience here will not go amiss.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:01 pm

I just fitted an EK Gold O-Ring chain - I think they are also pretty decent

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:04 am

He's not alone look at this terrible bike....look at the sprocket close up....it's got a CLIP Frustrated on top of all that a painted engine as well listen up
Mauser
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:56 pm

Mauser wrote:He's not alone look at this terrible bike....look at the sprocket close up....it's got a CLIP Frustrated on top of all that a painted engine as well listen up
Where is the picture. Do not see it on my end of the this bike you are talking about.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:02 pm

BuRP wrote:Yes I did, however having to replace cases (both!) can be easily avoided.

First off SpokelH, I hope you can get new cases - which, obviously, will have an effect on your registration also, new number perhaps?
Then the std case saver is, but you know that now, rubbish. Look for a better one at XRsOnly, and know it is dependant on the size of your front sprocket.
Lastly, NEVER use a clip-type link, and reread my first post, 'not even on a lawnmover' better take literally. Yeah, I know there's a gazillion guys using them for years, never had a problem and blablabla, but I repeat "Never use them!".
You see, a rivet-link CANNOT come loose (if properly riveted hence my suggestion to buy the DID-tool (which of course will do any brand of chain)), so you would have saved your cases in this case (spot the pun lol) - worth it you will agree, so not you have learned.

The most important remark here must be 'please repair the bike?' - for it is a cracker, and you've only rode it (so I find out) 6 times..... it is worth it if you dunno it yet, nothing compares.

What do you mean Effect on my Registration?  Not familiar with that.  

Do you all use a 530 chain instead of a 520 .  Looks like a 530 Chain can have a higher rating.  

Not sure on availability of a new Left Case yet. Just price of about $350.00 New.  Is there a process to get a new Left Case?

Seen used Lefts Cases on Ebay for about $315 to $390 so far. Not sure i would pay that much for used one. Only if I had too with no other option.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:05 pm

Spokelh wrote:
BuRP wrote:Yes I did, however having to replace cases (both!) can be easily avoided.

What do you mean Effect on my Registration?  Not familiar with that.  

Do you all use a 530 chain instead of a 520 .  Looks like a 530 Chain can have a higher rating.  

Not sure on availability of a new Left Case yet. Just price of about $350.00 New.  Is there a process to get a new Left Case?

Left case has engine number - Depends where you live and their registration regulations

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:43 pm

When you get a new case, I would invest in one of these too. It would have saved you a lot of $!

http://www.xrsonly.com/xrs-only-case-saver-honda-xr650r-14-15-tooth-red

Left Case Broken Xrs_only_case_sa_4c0a96b70c63f

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:50 pm

Not really - Destroyed the other guys case too

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:47 am

Did he have the correct size Vhris?
This one's effectiveness depends wholly on the gap between case-saver & chain - a minimal gap so as to prevent a "run-up" of the chain to the saver=case, the hammer blow will be minimal with this thing mounted.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:53 am

BuRP wrote:Did he have the correct size Vhris?
This one's effectiveness depends wholly on the gap between case-saver & chain - a minimal gap so as to prevent a "run-up" of the chain to the saver=case, the hammer blow will be minimal with this thing mounted.

My case will have to act as the case saver when I put my 17T on

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:08 pm

Mauser
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:37 pm

Mauser wrote:I brought these just in case....
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=331958272525

Good buy and good pun too

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:09 pm

OK cases arrived today and right side has some internal damage....I need your wise opinion I don't think this bit does anything other than deflect oil....?
Shame really as apart from this the cases are really good condition..... Frustrated
Left Case Broken Case
Mauser
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:43 am

Mauser wrote:OK cases arrived today and right side has some internal damage....I need your wise opinion I don't think this bit does anything other than deflect oil....?
Shame really as apart from this the cases are really good condition..... Frustrated
Left Case Broken Case

That can be built up with TIG welding no problem

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next