Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hello from Central NY

Go down

Hello from Central NY Empty Hello from Central NY

Post  Guest Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:03 am

Hello everyone, new forum member here. Just picked up a street legal 2002 XR650R this past weekend. I made a short video of my ride once I got it home. The camera angle could have been a little better but otherwise not bad. If there are any riders in the central NY area, specifically north of Syracuse let me know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kscn4BPqMhM

Back to top Go down

Hello from Central NY Empty Re: Hello from Central NY

Post  Mauser Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:54 am

Welcome to the forum, I love 7:22.....she's heavy to pickup listen up
Saw your post on Thumpertalk the other day, spotted the CRF rear end, not a big fan of that mod myself but others like it BRP smile
Mauser
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:57 pm

LOL thanks for watching. Got 'a watch those branches covered in wet leaves. I was on the front brakes a little too much I suppose.

I figured I would come join here because there's likely more tech info and knowledge here since the whole site is for the bike.

I need to check my valve clearances, the bike seems way too easy to kick over. I can sit on the bike and use the weight of my let to get it past TDC to kick it over. Compared to another XR650R I looked at you could practically stand on the kick lever at TDC and not get it past without using the decomp lever. The engine seems to run well though...

The CRF tail is ok, it would be better if the color matched the other plastics a little better. Beggars cant be choosers though, this was the only one on the east coast that wasn't several states away and it has a street title. Otherwise the bike is very clean. I cant wait to go ride with some friends and get some more good shots.

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:41 pm

I noticed you kicking it dead easy and even watched if you had pulled the de-comp lever...I just guessed you were a heavy weight Bump
Mauser
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:54 pm

I did give the bike about 5 kicks with the decomp pulled in after laying it down at the 7:20. I actually gave it 2 kicks with it in gear and it didn't start so then I gave 5 decomp kicks, one normal kick then another normal kick with throttle wide open and it started. But yes, bike starts easier than I believe it should. I'll be checking the decomp is set right then a valve clearance check/adjustment.

Can you tell me, do the R's have an auto decomp or is that just the L's? I figured its manual hence the cable. Am I correct?

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:21 pm

Here you go a quote from our only rusty bike owner....Burp
Burp wrote:The XRR's autodecomp works 2 ways.... no wait, the auto - part works only 1 way!

Auto: when the crank reverses direction an exhaust valve is forced open to bleed combustion pressure off so as to prevent the foot/ankle/leg/shin of the kicker from breaking, hence a safety measure.
Keep this in mind when adjusting the valves, only rotate forward.

The lever/cable assy allows you, hence manually, to bleed compression pressure off so as to position the piston closer to TDC than when this feature would not be there.
This we all do, by cycling the kicker until it gets 'hard', pull lever and push the kicker an inch or so further, then release lever and whack the bugger into life - and this is just a convenience thing. This way in fact we start the bike with a lesser compression than when it runs/idles, but because our legs are less powerful than the piston this makes life easier.

Only 2 cams have the auto decomp system on: the std cam and the (rare!) genuine HRC cam.
No other cam or hotcam has this on, also not any reground cams as the base circles are smaller and the system will not work anymore, it is taken off by those who regrind cams.
But, the manual lever/cable system will still work as it is a separate system altogether.
Mauser
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down