Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Running badlly at idle up to 1/8 throttle

Go down

Running badlly at idle up to 1/8 throttle Empty Running badlly at idle up to 1/8 throttle

Post  Guest Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:28 am

Hey guys, I just finished building up my 2001 XR as a winter project. She was pretty neglected when I got her. Low hours but sadly the last owner didn't treat her nicely at all. I lovingly went through everything except the engine with all new parts, and finally got it all together last week.

It fired right up on two kicks with half choke, ran great for about a minute with the choke off, then (still choke off) it started running rich as heck: popping, coughing under power not idling, some puffs of black smoke, cutting out, smelling like unburned fuel, wanting to die without throttle, etc. Took it down the street and it got worse, so I put the choke on back to halfway, and it ran much better (not perfect but got me home). Still running a bit rough, but nevertheless tremendous arm socket pulling pig power with half choke. Took out the plug when I got home, really black and sooty as expected.

I'd already rebuilt the carb, but I went through it all again with carb cleaner and compressed air two more times i.e. once, installed it, same problem, went through it again and installed it, same problem.

I've checked everything. Its got an FMF  header and can, with a Jet kit from Moose: Pilot jet is a 68s (tried a 68, no change), main is a 170, needle provided is at third clip as recommended. Fuel screw is at 2.5 turns, although it doesn't matter where it's at, same condition. Float is set at 17mm. The only issue that might be in play is the carb piston is scored somewhat for some reason, I got it that way from the previous owner. Do you think this could be the problem?

Few other things, Ricky Stator  200w, brand spanking new BD dual sport kit, Uni filter (clean). New plug. Spark is really good, no problems there.

This is the second Pig I've had, my first one was a 2000 and totally problem free and I badly regret selling it. This Pig is giving me the run around. Any help would be immensely appreciated, thanks in advance!

Back to top Go down

Running badlly at idle up to 1/8 throttle Empty Re: Running badlly at idle up to 1/8 throttle

Post  Mauser Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:27 am

Was going to suggest you were operating choke the wrong way round, but being your second Piggy that's now highly unlikely....I take it air filter is 100% clear ?, she shouldn't run better with half choke than no choke if running rich that's backward ? listen up
Mauser
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Running badlly at idle up to 1/8 throttle Empty Re: Running badlly at idle up to 1/8 throttle

Post  Guest Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:18 pm

Mauser wrote:Was going to suggest you were operating choke the wrong way round, but being your second Piggy that's now highly unlikely....I take it air filter is 100% clear ?, she shouldn't run better with half choke than no choke if running rich that's backward ? listen up

Thanks Mauser, an excellent point, Occam's razor comes through again. Although I'm reluctant to admit it, maybe it will save someone forgetful person a headache down the road: Somehow I forgot the correct choke operation and had it backwards. beat head

I was literally about to go pick up a new carb! Thanks again!

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:48 pm

Upwards is on..... downwards is off BRP smile
Mauser
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:38 am

"Running badlly at idle up to 1/8 throttle"

Haven't read more.... that's your idle jet!
Got a 68S?
No?
Gettit!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:25 pm

Read it now, you already have a 68S.
Did you block (with a tiiiiiny droplet of epoxy glue) the tiny hole in the small cover on the LHS behind which a small membrane lives?
Do this, it cures some environmental shite on overrun.... but may also effect the idling if all's not 100%. Blocking that hole will cure this system though, as it simply blocks it from taking action.
As a last remark, carb = clean?
If you did not use compressed air when cleaning it the answer likely is either 'not sure' or 'no' Bump

As ABF (absolute bloody final), you have an 'as new' clean tank PLUS an inline fuel filter?
If no the problem may be there....

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down