Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Could anyone help me with deciding what tyres to buy?

Go down

Could anyone help me with deciding what tyres to buy? Empty Could anyone help me with deciding what tyres to buy?

Post  Guest Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:59 pm

Hey all.
Got a set of avon distanzias which are pretty knackered (low tread and sidewalls are cracking) so am looking for a new set of rubber but have no idea what to get.
I'd like knobblies but am gonna do most my riding on road, but when I do go off road its usually in the woods or occasionally on the local mx track for a little blast around so want something fairly off road orientated but also with good road manners...

Had an old xr400r back in the day with a nice set of Maxxis knobblies (can't remember what they were) and they were really good both on road and off but a lot of people don't seem to like them on the 650's?

Also whatever I get has to be able to stand up to the greasy old crappy roads we have here in the UK!

Thanks Smile

Back to top Go down

Could anyone help me with deciding what tyres to buy? Empty Re: Could anyone help me with deciding what tyres to buy?

Post  Guest Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:13 pm

I used Continental TKC80's for a road trip to the Pyrenees a couple of years ago. They were great. Gave good grip on the twisty mountain roads. I also used them for off road trips out over Salisbury Plain, and for gentle green laning they're fine.

They didn't;t seem to last very long though. I got 3500km out of the rear. The front is starting to go now after 5000km.

I've just replaced them for TKC70's for a trip to the Alps next month. They are more road orientated but still capable of gravel tracks and gentle dry off roading.

Their web site does quite a good job of comparing the strengths and weaknesses of all their tyres.

https://www.continental-tires.com/motorcycle/tires/motorcycle-tires/off-road-enduro

Back to top Go down