Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

To float or not to float ...

Go down

To float or not to float ... Empty To float or not to float ...

Post  Guest Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:03 pm

Hi,
Disclaimer; I posted a similar question over in advrider ...
So, can anyone enlighten me as to the pros/cons of isolating DC ground vs. tying such to the frame?  And which would be best for a XRR running just a DC fan, and a Trailtech Vapor ...

TIA,
Ace

Back to top Go down

To float or not to float ... Empty Re: To float or not to float ...

Post  Guest Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:25 am

Your word 'float(ing)' is incorrect here, pedantic-me here  Bump

You run AC AND DC both?
If so keep the DC-minus as cables & insulated from the ground=frame.
If full DC only then use the frame=ground=DC-minus - and no, this will not interfere with the ignition as this is an entirely separate system (also using the ground=frame but don't worry about that).

Clearer now?

Oh, in te almost-impossible unlikely case that you have the one stator (a rare Electrosport thing I think) which has a T junction connected to the frame then you're forked (unless you clearly know what you're doing but your question indicates otherwise, pls no offense), best is then to get another stator first.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:02 pm

Hey, thanx for the response. Be as pedantic as you like, I'm good with it BRP smile. So, leaving the ignition sys. out of the equation, I'm running DC only. In my case then, you're advising I use frame=gnd=DC-minus.

I have a dual 100W output stator, and am only going to use a single 100W output for an up-coming trail ride. This stator has no T junction. And no offense taken, I know just enough to be dangerous to myself shrug.

Thx,
Ace

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:03 pm

Carlo & Gustav Bump

Yip, for full-DC use the frame, however use a wire still for those users which are not grounded (taillight, it's on plactics) or are "grounded" through bearings only (anything on your headstock!).
And a good idea too to use only one 100W winding, 200 is a bit of an overkill.... and besides, your RectReg (RR) will cope better: choose a 150W unit? Keeps cooler that way, better too big as 'proven to be just not enough after a while' BRP smile
Have fun bru!

Oh, that 2nd 100W winding, you will insulate it right?
You must in fact, insulate both ends!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:03 pm

Yep, insulating all unused wiring is generally a good idea . I'll use the 2nd 100W output when I put her back in street mode, for lighting (all LED) primarily. I have a 2nd reg/rect. for that output. And I'll fuse ea. leg of course, 10A ea. seems to be acceptable from what I've seen here, and ADV, and TT ... guess I could do the actual load calculation and fuse accordingly though BRP smile .

Thx,
Ace

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down