Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can you use a XR650L frame with XR650R parts?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Can you use a XR650L frame with XR650R parts? Empty Can you use a XR650L frame with XR650R parts?

Post  Guest Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:14 pm

First post here so "Hey everybody!" cheers So I got a great deal on an '03 XR650R pig and want to put it on the road in SC*. Can I buy a XR650L frame and swap all the parts over to it? Thanks, Wes

ETA*: Should have mentioned this, XRR does not have title which is why I am thinking of using an "L" frame.

Last edited by kg4lho on Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Can you use a XR650L frame with XR650R parts? Empty Re: Can you use a XR650L frame with XR650R parts?

Post  Guest Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:36 pm

I don't think that will work, two completly different beasts.

Back to top Go down

Can you use a XR650L frame with XR650R parts? Empty Re: Can you use a XR650L frame with XR650R parts?

Post  Guest Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:36 pm

Why the hell would you want to ruin an XRR by putting the parts on that heavy-ass XRL frame?

You should be able to plate it with the right conversion kit.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:47 pm

Couple things keep me from plating the XRR. 1)Current owner does not have title or MCO, I ran the VIN and it has not been reported stolen. 2)My efforts to track down original owner by VIN have failed. 3)Bike is from NC, NC does not issue title for "offroad only" motorcycles I am told.

I am working on some things to try and get a rebuilt title issued in SC but I really doubt it will work. If SC will not issue title for bike I am stuck. Which is why I thought about running down an "L" frame with title and going that route. Not cause I wanna do this, but cause I will have to do it this way. Sad

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:50 pm

Damn sorry to hear.

But as above I am pretty sure the only thing the XRL and XRR share is the "XR" in the name. (thankfully)

Better to try and track down a clean frame, or a cheap, beat up spare, ect.

Or sell it as a dirt bike and pick up one that has a title.

Or do something illegal.

/shrug

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:40 pm

I was given an XT550 Yamaha a couple of decades ago (seriously). It sat in my garage patiently awaiting restoration. I finally did it, then realized I had no title to it and the family that gave it to me didn't either.

I contacted a local guy here in Dallas (Randy Marbles) about a service that would help with obtaining a "new" title. He gave me their info. About $175 and six weeks later I got the title and a Maryland plate in the mail!!

You should call him or better yet email him at marblesmotors@gmail.com

He'll set you up to get a new title if that's the problem.

Best,
kjazz

Back to top Go down

Can you use a XR650L frame with XR650R parts? Empty Buy another XR650R frame

Post  Guest Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:48 pm

Several years ago I bought a TTR125L out of Canada when the exchange was great for us. Had some BBR stuff done when those giuys were still in their dad's barn and had it shipped to LA. Turned out it was too heavy for my 5' 107lb wife. She prefers her hot rodded RM80. Then I had all these problems with Yamaha of North America. So do the easy thing and buy a legal from off eBay or ADVRider and swap. It's a loooong weekend.

Here's an XRR frame for $250 shipped: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190289632915&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3ASS%3AUS%3A1123&viewitem=

XR650L? "Truly, you should have known ..."

Last edited by Bump on Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:25 pm

kjazz wrote:I was given an XT550 Yamaha a couple of decades ago (seriously). It sat in my garage patiently awaiting restoration. I finally did it, then realized I had no title to it and the family that gave it to me didn't either.

I contacted a local guy here in Dallas (Randy Marbles) about a service that would help with obtaining a "new" title. He gave me their info. About $175 and six weeks later I got the title and a Maryland plate in the mail!!

Best,
kjazz

Your friendly state DMV can get you a title if you file for lost title and have a signed bill of sale from the originally titled owners.

Last edited by stroupdog on Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:25 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : dunno?)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:35 pm

stroupdog wrote:
kjazz wrote:I was given an XT550 Yamaha a couple of decades ago (seriously). It sat in my garage patiently awaiting restoration. I finally did it, then realized I had no title to it and the family that gave it to me didn't either.

Best,
kjazz

Your friendly state DMV can get you a title if you file for lost title and have a signed bill of sale from the originally titled owners.

the prob with that is the word "friendly" !!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:25 am

Does your bike have to go through a state inspection? My suggestion is to take the L model and go through your inspection to get the plate...then you'll need the following tools: 1 screw driver, 1 pair of plyers. Step 1 is to remove the current plate from the L model. Step 2 is to place the plate on your R model. You may need to modify up some turn signals, brake lights...etc...pending how picky you local law enforcement is.

Fact is no cop is going to check a VIN on the bike. He pulls you over...calls in the plate, comes back to a red Honda XR. He looks up and sees a red Honda XR. Do your best to make it as street legal as possible, don't do anything stupid and you will not have a problem.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:33 pm

KTM265 wrote:Does your bike have to go through a state inspection? My suggestion is to take the L model and go through your inspection to get the plate...then you'll need the following tools: 1 screw driver, 1 pair of plyers. Step 1 is to remove the current plate from the L model. Step 2 is to place the plate on your R model. You may need to modify up some turn signals, brake lights...etc...pending how picky you local law enforcement is.

Fact is no cop is going to check a VIN on the bike. He pulls you over...calls in the plate, comes back to a red Honda XR. He looks up and sees a red Honda XR. Do your best to make it as street legal as possible, don't do anything stupid and you will not have a problem.

Sorry but that has to be some of the wost advice I have read on this or any BB.

Back to top Go down

Can you use a XR650L frame with XR650R parts? Empty Agreed!

Post  Guest Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:54 pm

I posted to Advrider the question about installing a new frame on a bike and got back some really useful information from a CHP. I think he said they confiscate more bikes than you might guess.

I got pulled over in my dually last year because the cop didn't think it was the correct year! So while this stuff may not happen in Iowa, it darn sure happens here in California.

Clipity wrote:
KTM265 wrote:Does your bike have to go through a state inspection? My suggestion is to take the L model and go through your inspection to get the plate...then you'll need the following tools: 1 screw driver, 1 pair of plyers. Step 1 is to remove the current plate from the L model. Step 2 is to place the plate on your R model. You may need to modify up some turn signals, brake lights...etc...pending how picky you local law enforcement is.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:44 pm

Amen brother.
I personally know a guy that used to come in to original Super Shops when I worked their. He had a 74 Camaro that was built big block supercharger tubed the whole nine yards. Well he couldn't get it smoged so he found a 73 that was under the law was smog exempt. So he went and pulled the plate off of the 73 and installed it on the 74. I'm sure you all know what happened next he gets pulled over and the officer starts going over the car and finds out plate and vin don't jive, guy gets ticket and car impounded. He was lucky he still had the 74 and just said he must have mixed up the plates Rolling Eyes

Here's another one My brother in law had bought two KZ1000 one was a 79 the other was a 80 well the 80 was in nice shape but the 79 had a title and a plate. Well he sells the 80 to a guy with the 79's plate and title and tells the guy he is going to drag the 79 so its all good. Guys fine with everything and took the bike and rode it for a long time. So my brother in law has to move to Socal and cant take the 79 so he gives it to me and asks that I not to register it for the street. Well I didn't care about getting a plate as I was going to make it a drag bike also. More time passes and the bike just sits and I need to get rid of it so I put it on ebay and sell it. Guy comes and picks it up, a few days go by and I get a call from the buyer, hey do you have a title or the name of the last owner no I don't, om thanks I just want to get it registered because its in better shape then the one I have. I never heard for the guy again so I don't know if he ever got it plated or if he did what happened to the guy with the 80 and the 79's plate.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:19 pm

http://www.its-titles.com/index.htm

Here's the company that does title work for lost titles (problem titles) I referred to above....

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:56 am

Bump wrote:I posted to Advrider the question about installing a new frame on a bike and got back some really useful information from a CHP. I think he said they confiscate more bikes than you might guess.

I got pulled over in my dually last year because the cop didn't think it was the correct year! So while this stuff may not happen in Iowa, it darn sure happens here in California.

Clipity wrote:

Sorry if you don't like it... Been riding my bikes for years this way with no problems. A lot of it all depends on where you live. My state is very laxed when it comes to checking vin #s. You really have to be doing something stupid for a cop to check a vin.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:58 am

Bump wrote:I posted to Advrider the question about installing a new frame on a bike and got back some really useful information from a CHP. I think he said they confiscate more bikes than you might guess.

Clipity wrote:

California... enough said about that.

Back to top Go down

Can you use a XR650L frame with XR650R parts? Empty It's your morality ...

Post  Guest Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:48 am

Slice and dice it to your own moral flexibility. The bottom line is you are knowingly breaking the law. You aren't unique; we got prisons overflowing with your types here too. I'm just sick of paying for it and wasting law enforcement's time on fools.

KTM265 wrote:

Clipity wrote:

California... enough said about that.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:12 pm

Bump wrote:Slice and dice it to your own moral flexibility. The bottom line is you are knowingly breaking the law. You aren't unique; we got prisons overflowing with your types here too. I'm just sick of paying for it and wasting law enforcement's time on fools.

OK, how many times have you rolled through a stop sign? How many times have you exceeded the speed limit? Before you talk about moral flexiblity, make sure you can wear white. Crime of the century is a frame that doesn't match the title...life in prison for that one. If I get caught, I'm willing to pay the fine. I could probably pay the fine several times and still be money ahead over trying to retrofit the R into a L.

Bottomline...don't do anything stupid to get pulled over and you'll never have a problem. If you do get pulled over for whatever reason, be nice to the officer and he'll probably never even question. They have a lot better things to do then to poke around a bike trying to find VIN numbers.

Back on topic... This is just another option...may not work for some, but for others it may work just fine.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:12 pm

Slice and dice it to your own moral flexibility. The bottom line is you are knowingly breaking the law. You aren't unique; we got prisons overflowing with your types here too. I'm just sick of paying for it and wasting law enforcement's time on fools.

Who the **** cares about this stuff? If America spent a little more time and effort on the fact that our own government is fleecing us dry, capitalism is a complete failure, greedy corporations rape our environment with impunity and the country is buried in debt while the 5% get fatter, our health care is ranked 37th in the world......

Seriously, if there was more effort placed on the real issues rather than busting a guy smoking a joint, or getting a handjob at a massage parlor, or riding a bike with the wrong VIN the country might not be going down faster than a fat kid on a HoHo.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:20 pm

AMEN!!!

Back to top Go down

Can you use a XR650L frame with XR650R parts? Empty Agreed.

Post  Guest Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:32 pm

But law enforcement is like everyone else; they do what advances their careers. And it's stolen cars, drugs and blood that gets the headlines.

Reminds me of what Jack Nicholson said in The Two Jakes, "If you follow the money you'll get to the truth."

Also makes me wonder that if the 200+ FBI agents working on getting the details on the most historic blow job in history had been working on something else, say counter terrorism, then would we still have a couple of very tall buildings in NYC?

Off the Grid wrote:

Who the **** cares about this stuff? If America spent a little more time and effort on the fact that our own government is fleecing us dry, capitalism is a complete failure, greedy corporations rape our environment with impunity and the country is buried in debt while the 5% get fatter, our health care is ranked 37th in the world......

Seriously, if there was more effort placed on the real issues rather than busting a guy smoking a joint, or getting a handjob at a massage parlor, or riding a bike with the wrong VIN the country might not be going down faster than a fat kid on a HoHo.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:05 pm

The FBI has very little to do with international Intel... International Intel falls into the hands of the CIA, military and few other lesser known agencies. Big problem was no one was talking and sharing their Intel with each other...Intel is like a 2000 piece puzzle and you have 100 pieces, the person next to you has 100 and so forth and when you don't get together, you don't get to see the big picture...When the people each come together with their piece everything starts to fit together. That what happens between the various agencies...They don't talk, no one sees the big picture or threat.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:59 pm

KTM265 wrote:The FBI has very little to do with international Intel... International Intel falls into the hands of the CIA, military and few other lesser known agencies. Big problem was no one was talking and sharing their Intel with each other...Intel is like a 2000 piece puzzle and you have 100 pieces, the person next to you has 100 and so forth and when you don't get together, you don't get to see the big picture...When the people each come together with their piece everything starts to fit together. That what happens between the various agencies...They don't talk, no one sees the big picture or threat.
blah blah blah blah blah

I thought we were getting back on topic? scratch

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:15 pm

Clipity wrote: blah blah blah blah blah

I thought we were getting back on topic? scratch

Kind of like "I gotta buddy story". asking for it

Back to top Go down

Can you use a XR650L frame with XR650R parts? Empty Really?

Post  Guest Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:21 pm

It was the FBI who had Zacharias Moussaoui's laptop. And it was the FBI agents in the field who was already asking all the questions about the hijackers who were already here. And it was Niaz Khan, a Pakistani British guy and al-Qaida insider who told the FBI about the plans for 9/11 more than a year before it happened. Sure agancies don't communicate well just as departments in companies don't. That overlooks the fact that the FBI had planty of data on this and simply didn't pursue it at a leadership level. The Bushies blamed the CIA of course. But that was a CYA move. Gathering intelligence is one thing. But this was the FBI's turf.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/06/09/AR2005060902000.html

KTM265 wrote:The FBI has very little to do with international Intel... International Intel falls into the hands of the CIA, military and few other lesser known agencies. Big problem was no one was talking and sharing their Intel with each other...Intel is like a 2000 piece puzzle and you have 100 pieces, the person next to you has 100 and so forth and when you don't get together, you don't get to see the big picture...When the people each come together with their piece everything starts to fit together. That what happens between the various agencies...They don't talk, no one sees the big picture or threat.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next