Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GEARBOX---gear fork issue help!

Go down

GEARBOX---gear fork issue help! Empty GEARBOX---gear fork issue help!

Post  Guest Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:03 pm

...bike just started doing this. Searched for this topic before posting-hopefully I can find some help here/forum.

••2002 XR650R--recent top-end work...bike's in excellent condition. Just started popping second-gear into third-gear under load. Other than that-bike runs like a champ.
(1) I assume this is the "gear-fork" that needs replacing and (2) one could ride around this, (3) or fix it now---know anyone with experience with this? I'd hate to turn this bike into a boat-anchor, but if there's any opinions out there---I'm all ears!

THANKS-SOTO
steven@soto-racing.com
(310)592-6942

Back to top Go down

GEARBOX---gear fork issue help! Empty Hey Soto

Post  Guest Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:56 pm

Steve,

I think you're gonna find the replies you've already gotten from the Yahoo group are gonna be better than the replies from here regarding stuff like this deep in the engine.

Back to top Go down

GEARBOX---gear fork issue help! Empty Re: GEARBOX---gear fork issue help!

Post  Guest Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:43 am

Bump wrote:"I think you're gonna find the replies you've already gotten from the Yahoo group are gonna be better than the replies from here regarding stuff like this deep in the engine".
Thank you Bump,
Don't insult myself and other members wisdom and experience.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:37 am

...here's the deal-I posted this same question to my Yahoo Group. sometimes-some folks that subscribe to one-aren't on another and sometimes there might be that person that has a great solution to a problem such as this one.

I'm not looking for trouble-just looking to see/hear if there might be someone to help. This isn't an innocuous query - but an engine's gonna need splitting, et al., and we're talking a serious task at hand with a hefty pricetag to follow.

THANKS-SOTO

Back to top Go down

GEARBOX---gear fork issue help! Empty No insult intended or exists

Post  Guest Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:59 am

Every forum has its own character. Some are determined by the members, some by the features, some by what's missing. In this case, this forum not only isn't anywhere near as technical as the yahoo group's 5000 members, it isn't trying to be. I'd already seen several responses to Steve's post on the yahoo group. And having been in several of these forums for several years, I know where to answer shop for what I need. ADV is great for the flea market and the RRs but the rest is a mess. TT is great for real dirt bike questions rather than the Moon Rover style behemoths on ADV. And so forth.

Soto needs no introduction to me. He's a pretty well respected racer and one of the core people like Gene, Thor, Capt Ron, and Eric who keep the Yahoo group as the premier spot for technical mastery of the works of the BRP. But I hadn't seen his posts here before so I thought I'd throw him a bone on the nature of this group. It's a great site that I want to see succeed. That's why I try to spend time on it every day.
Pikkos wrote: Thank you Bump,
Don't insult myself and other members wisdom and experience.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:38 pm

So I know this is an older topic, but my bike is doing the same thing. If we cant find the answer here, can you post the link to the yahoo group?

Thanks Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:16 am

So Ive come to the conclusion Im going to split the case, found the shift forks, and looking for the gaskets. So my question is kit "A" or "B"?
And should I do the Cam chain and gears.... or not?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:09 am

If I had to split the cases on an older bike - with unknown mileage? - then I'd do the LOT.
Crank, gearbox, oilpumps (2), timing chain, the lot. If in doubt take parts to someone you trust for measurement if you cannot do this yourself, but I'd make sure I'd end up with A1OK.
That means also I'd buy all the gaskets/o-rings/bearings/seals needed, the whole caboodle.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down