Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Host Images?

Go down

Host Images? Empty Host Images?

Post  Guest Tue May 12, 2009 8:56 am

It would be cool if the site could host images.

A couple of bummers regarding not hosting images:

1. Many of us have goldfish IQ's, or, are flat-out lazy. "I can't post a picture, so screw it all."
2. Posting links to pictures is bad for the site, as folks don't maintain the links. Before you know it, you have a hundred pages of dead links.

What would it take to upload images directly to XR650R? If it's dinero for more space, I bet members would kick in some cash (I certainly would). If it's a new platform, like SMF (free) or Vbull, that might be some massive work for admin.

Just some food for thought......

Dave

Back to top Go down

Host Images? Empty hmmm

Post  Guest Tue May 12, 2009 7:02 pm

good observations all

I use photobucket.com. And really it's very simple. I looked at smugmug and found it too much of a PIA to learn their process. A friend recommended photobucket. It's free and you just upload, choose Share, copy and past the link and it's done! Did I mention it's free?

Challenge here is the site is so specific that there'll never be a ton of viewers.
8 years of XR650R production.
2500 units per year. (majority of those in California.)
Best case is 20,000 possible viewers per day
5,000 on Yahoo list. So perhaps that number is more likely. Or not becasue that list is so ancient in its structure and format that a lot of people probably walk on by. Not too mention the site is too political. A friend of mine, the most conservative friend I have, dropped off the site because he was sick of the politics. "Real conservative aren't sore losers."
Thumpter talk got 25,000 a day last I checked. Advrider got 75,000.

I'm willing to go in with a few of us and offer to take it over and host the photographs so Focker isn't stuck doing this indefinately. mediaTemple is the best hosting, IMHO. I already have a large account there and it's not a problem. For the size and number of guys here we could probably host it there including photographs for free. I'm already hosting a friend's movie site there for free and he get's tens of thousands of hits per day I think. My wife hosts all her corporate accounts there and she spends several hundred thousand dollars a year on google adwords so she is really driving traffic through her sites.

Just an idea, not trying to force anything ...

Back to top Go down

Host Images? Empty Re: Host Images?

Post  Focker Wed May 13, 2009 1:34 am

Dave P wrote:It would be cool if the site could host images.
It can but would chew up space and yes cause me extra work.

There is a "Gallery" feature that I have not activated that I believe would allow members to maintain themselves...Drawback - It will use up space. We could try it and if it works well...I'll keep it active until the site requires funding to keep going.

Dave P wrote:Many of us have goldfish IQ's, or, are flat-out lazy. "I can't post a picture, so screw it all."
Have you looked at this? It should help most lazy goldfish.

http://www.xr650rforum.com/forum-helpcomments-suggestions-f15/image-posting-tutorial-t150.htm
Focker
Focker
Site Owner

http://www.xr650rforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed May 13, 2009 2:34 am

Focker:

10-4 on the help post. It is indeed, very helpful.

Sorry about the goldfish comment. I was not referring to anyone specifically. In fact, XRR riders are the smartest bike owners out there.

BRP smile

Dave

Back to top Go down

Host Images? Empty snif, snif

Post  Guest Wed May 13, 2009 5:27 am

Do I smell a nickname coming on? naughty

Dave P wrote:Focker:

10-4 on the help post. It is indeed, very helpful.

Sorry about the goldfish comment. I was not referring to anyone specifically. In fact, XRR riders are the smartest bike owners out there.

BRP smile

Dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed May 13, 2009 7:28 am

I ain't touching that one. Question

Back to top Go down

Host Images? Empty Of course not!

Post  Guest Wed May 13, 2009 6:45 pm

A man can't comment on or choose his own nickname! asking for it

Dave P wrote:I ain't touching that one. Question

Back to top Go down

Host Images? Empty Where's the advantage?

Post  Guest Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:40 pm

I'm not understanding how that change improves the site. You can't compete with TT.

With phpBB3 having its own preloaded software to upload images direct from your hard-drive its so easy to upload photos if activated. I do smile guys that most of you even live in the country that provides some of the cheapest web hosting in the world but hosting is talked about like its the most exspensive thing in the world. Hostgators hatchling account would be more than enough to run this whole site with UNLIMITED Disk Space and UNLIMITED Bandwidth bandwidth - $4.95 a month - cost of a cup of coffee. No photos for the sake of the price of a cup of coffee per month Host Images? Icon_smile Get an advertiser or two on board and the site becomes self funding - maybe even a dollar or two left over for a well earned cup of coffee for Flocker and Bump.

20,000 max cause its an xr650r site ? Think Big and branch out as users also by CRF's etc - sure there is a site called XR's only that did just that Host Images? Icon_smile See recently they are "Pullling back" on XR650R parts recently.

Whatever the future holds obviously easy to change the web address to be more generic when needed, having the core community the main thing.

Back to top Go down

Post  Focker Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:20 pm

From someone who has posted a lot of pictures on this forum as well as other forums...I think the way it's been established here works just fine. BRP smile
Focker
Focker
Site Owner

http://www.xr650rforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down