Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rectifier, Battery, and Rear Fender

Go down

Rectifier, Battery, and Rear Fender Empty Rectifier, Battery, and Rear Fender

Post  Guest Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:17 am

Yep, this location is a great one for the rectifier from Baja Designs. This will power my GPS, and whatever else I can think of.

Rectifier, Battery, and Rear Fender P1040089

I had some old RC car batteries laying around, well the only two I could find out of 20. They are pretty old and nasty so I went online and ordered ten 4500mAh C-cells with tabs to soldier together. however the old ones let me make a mock up of where I will locate it. Forget the airbox option, I think this is a great spot, and they seem to fit fine.

Rectifier, Battery, and Rear Fender P1040090

Rectifier, Battery, and Rear Fender P1040091

Battery Layout:
Rectifier, Battery, and Rear Fender P1040092

Here is a picture of the UFO plastic rear fender mounted up:
Rectifier, Battery, and Rear Fender P1040087

I'm pretty anal, I'm using RTV to attach the rubber water block piece back on to the new fender:
Rectifier, Battery, and Rear Fender P1040088

Back to top Go down

Rectifier, Battery, and Rear Fender Empty Re: Rectifier, Battery, and Rear Fender

Post  Guest Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:39 pm

I decided to just add to this post:

Here is the dash setup, and Garmin setup, I might still tweak this setup some:
Rectifier, Battery, and Rear Fender P1040107

Seeing as when you move the turn signals up like I had to do due to the Acrebis 6.3 Gallon tank you have to take off the Dakar horn. So when some thinking and then some bending of Aluminum I came up witht his bracket off of the AceWell gauge. Please note, the bolts are long enough to do this, the one you see to your left broke part way off when I went to remove it, which required me to go to my local Ace Hardware and get another locking nut.

Rectifier, Battery, and Rear Fender P1040105

Close-up of horn bracket:
Rectifier, Battery, and Rear Fender P1040104

Skid plate Installed:
Rectifier, Battery, and Rear Fender P1040108

Rear Wheel spacers installed from XRSOnly:
Rectifier, Battery, and Rear Fender P1040109

Rectifier, Battery, and Rear Fender P1040110

Old Rear Wheel spacers, notice the groves:
Rectifier, Battery, and Rear Fender P1040114

It is like a different bike:
Rectifier, Battery, and Rear Fender P1040106

I went for a 40 mile ride, there were some electrical issues...not sure if the battery was just not charged int he Dakar kit, will go out again in a bit, and if still issues run it by pwrtrippin to come over and make sure I did the wiring right.

I attached my Marsee tank bag to the rear rack, it seems to be on good, and it is a pretty heavy duty bag, I have had it for 8 years. It will expand up with the unzipping of a zipper and hold as much as I will require right now. (tools, water, and food) Plus the bag is pretty water resistant.

Back to top Go down

Rectifier, Battery, and Rear Fender Empty Re: Rectifier, Battery, and Rear Fender

Post  Guest Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:59 pm

Looks vaguely familiar, now clean up your sty. Did the light on the Dakar kit just fade out like the battery went dead or did something else happen.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:38 pm

pwrtrippin wrote:Looks vaguely familiar, now clean up your sty. Did the light on the Dakar kit just fade out like the battery went dead or did something else happen.

Gauge, light, turn signals would not work till higher RPM (until sometime went by), I checked the RPM and it idles at 1500-1600 and the Dakar sheet says 1200 will be a good place to up it to. It seemed to work better after I rode it some, so thus is why I think the battery was low or dead. I did notice in the Dakar information that they say to change the bulb to a 35w one if you do the AC regulator from the bike, a high output stator then you can use the bulb that it comes with. So do I qualify or going through the factory AC on that part means I'm not getting enough power? Do we just switch it over to the higher output from the Baja Designs regulator/rectifier?

You might have to come check the wiring out. I had it on the charger, so I plan to go back out and see, plus I had to tighten some bolts/nuts down...some nice dirt roads around me. Oh, Radio Shack sells crappy bullet connectors too...but I made do with what I got.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:34 am

Man, that web of wires scares the crap out me! Shocked Keep in mind, I'm electrically challenged, though.

Nice skid plate! Which one is it?

Dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:57 pm

Dave P wrote:Man, that web of wires scares the crap out me! Shocked Keep in mind, I'm electrically challenged, though.

Dave

This is the one I got:
http://www.xrsonly.com/content/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage-ask.tpl&product_id=92&category_id=6&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=89

As for the wiring you have not seen under the seat, the Dakar kit is not that bad as things plug together (assuming their wiring chart matches up, which it does not). Plus I ran extra wires, the GPS wire to the back, and the KTM wire also tot he back, not to mention the Highwaydirtbikes switches on the handle bar, those wires had to tie into the system too.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:46 am

modette wrote:
Dave P wrote:Man, that web of wires scares the crap out me! Shocked Keep in mind, I'm electrically challenged, though.

Dave

This is the one I got:
http://www.xrsonly.com/content/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage-ask.tpl&product_id=92&category_id=6&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=89

As for the wiring you have not seen under the seat, the Dakar kit is not that bad as things plug together (assuming their wiring chart matches up, which it does not). Plus I ran extra wires, the GPS wire to the back, and the KTM wire also tot he back, not to mention the Highwaydirtbikes switches on the handle bar, those wires had to tie into the system too.

Ahhh, those doods.... I think I'll look elsewhere for my skid plate. mad as heck

Congrats on taking the wiring challenge! You are a braver man than I.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:17 am

Dave
That is a common skidplate sold under many differant names. Your local dealer can get them from Parts Unlimited.
Mine was packaged as Moose.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:25 am

Rd650:

10-4. Thanks for the tip.

It looks exactly like the CRD skid plate on my '02. It probably is.

Dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:20 pm

Dave,

Mine had a sticker in it, and it was from these guys...looks like they sell the same skid plate not sure if they are the manufacture/creator or not.

http://69.94.125.252/store/page134.html

edited to say: With a closer look at that site, it looks different then the one I got, but it had their sticker included in the packaging...hmmmmmm The one on their site looks to use the upper two factory holes, along with clamp brackets.

Back to top Go down

Rectifier, Battery, and Rear Fender Empty Maintenance Free 12V Battery w/2 DC Regulators

Post  Guest Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:31 am

Here's my solution for installing a nice big battery along with 2 DC Regulators with enough power to do whatever I want.

Everything fits nice and works great.

I do have the 200W Ricky Stator.

Rectifier, Battery, and Rear Fender XR%20Battery%20II

2 thumbs

Back to top Go down

Rectifier, Battery, and Rear Fender Empty The problem with stuffing these batteries into places...

Post  Guest Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:21 am

Is they breathe and they will corrode stuff around them. That's one reason to take batteries out of closed spaces like Jet Skis and so forth. Isn't it also difficult to get a smart trickle charger in there?

Why not use the Baja Designs tray? Or modify it for smaller batteries? Or perhaps I'm wrong on this. These are some creative solutions either way. I like the ingenuity.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down