Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Swing arm tool & Fork tools

Go down

Swing arm tool & Fork tools Empty Swing arm tool & Fork tools

Post  Guest Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:55 am

I went to pull my swingarm to grease it yesterday and realized I need a special tool... I found 'the pig pen' which shows how to make the tools... are they necessary or is there a way to do it without? I dont weld but could cut the parts necessary... maybe someone has the tools for the swingarm and the forks in my area? (asheville nc)

On another note, I am planning on doing my fork seals... is there a writeup that I could follow with a parts list with part #'s or anything like that?

Back to top Go down

Swing arm tool & Fork tools Empty Swingarm

Post  Guest Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:48 am

There are two tools Honda sells for this. One is an odd sort of thing that you have seen hackneyed together by some guys with ugly fab skills. The other tool is just a socket. I have the first tool and if you were closer I'd loan it if you come over and dig it out--but I'm right in the middle of moving ... I got it on eBay last year. There's a guy on there who sells them for ~$25. You can't make it for that! Honda sells them for way over $100!

Somebody will loan you a wrench.

If not, then this is the guy I bought mine from: richardhinz@hotmail.com
I emailed him just now and asked if he had any more wrenches available.
I paid: Total: $27.45 USD
His eBay seller ID is: mc-vintage
Here's his current listings on Ebay:
http://shop.ebay.com/mc-vintage/m.html?_dmd=1&_in_kw=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1
The tool ID is: Honda XR650R Swingarm Tool 07KMA-KAB0100

I hope that helps!

bump

Back to top Go down

Swing arm tool & Fork tools Empty Re: Swing arm tool & Fork tools

Post  Guest Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:48 pm

Contact these guys, they might carry something....I'm not sure what I am looking for.

http://pitposse.com/specialty.html

Back to top Go down

Swing arm tool & Fork tools Empty More Swingarm wrenches on eBay soon

Post  Guest Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:28 pm

Here.s the reply from the wrench supplier.

Hi Pat,

I was just thinking about putting some up for sale again and they should be ready by the end of this week. I'll let you know.

Hope the tool you bought is working out well for you.

Rich

Back to top Go down

Post  Focker Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:00 pm

I made the castle socket following the steps on the Pig Pen site. As for the wrench Hodakaguy, Mammacone & I were able to complete the maintenance without one. You just have to pay close attention to the position of the nuts...We marked ours to check to see if it had moved during the torquing...No prob X3!

We were going to do a nice photo write up but since the shop manual guides you through both the swingarm and fork maintenance we felt it unnecessary.

If you don't have the XR650R shop manual...Get one! study
Focker
Focker
Site Owner

http://www.xr650rforum.com

Back to top Go down

Swing arm tool & Fork tools Empty Swingarm tool

Post  Guest Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:58 pm

For the lazy or mechanically reclined (both of which fit me) there is a guy selling the castle tool on ebay for 1/2 the price of the Honda one. The inner castled nut needed so little torque that I just tightened it with my leatherman. No problems 1000+ miles later. +1 for dismantling the swingarm and lubing everything (you should have seen the rust on my otherwise immaculate piggy)! Here's the link:

http://bit.ly/3xGLD8

-Wombatpegger

Focker wrote:I made the castle socket following the steps on the Pig Pen site. As for the wrench Hodakaguy, Mammacone & I were able to complete the maintenance without one. You just have to pay close attention to the position of the nuts...We marked ours to check to see if it had moved during the torquing...No prob X3!

We were going to do a nice photo write up but since the shop manual guides you through both the swingarm and fork maintenance we felt it unnecessary.

If you don't have the XR650R shop manual...Get one! study

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:38 am

Back to top Go down

Swing arm tool & Fork tools Empty Back from the dead!

Post  Guest Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:38 am

So none of these links work anymore. Anyone know where I can buy/beg/borrow/steal some swing-arm locknut removal sockets? I'm in pretty desperate need of some, and would gladly pay for shipping from/back to you if you have some to loan. Sorry my first post is me begging, but like I said, I'm desperate!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:57 pm

Grind an old socket, you only need 2 tangs. a punch works too

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down