Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do most use a trailer for transporting the XRR?

Go down

Do most use a trailer for transporting the XRR? Empty Do most use a trailer for transporting the XRR?

Post  Guest Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:15 pm

Do most use a trailer for transporting the the XRR for weekend or jaunt?

Do you camp in a tent or trailer for weekend trips?

Just wonder if I need to get something for hauling the XRR. asking for it

Back to top Go down

Do most use a trailer for transporting the XRR? Empty Never use a trailer!

Post  Guest Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:42 pm

If I have to ride my bike 500 miles to get to the trails thats what I do! I am hardcore! (though, I might not be so hardcore if I could afford a trailer!) But actualy I pack a sleeping bag and a tiny tent on the rear fender, and everything else I need in a big tank bag. I also wear a 3 litter camleback backpack which holds more stuff. Riding position is kinda cramped, but oh well. I forgot this is not the ADV forum so a lot of people on here just ride the XRR on dirt, But it is my only bike so I ride it everywhere. It has never been on a trailer. Just be warned: you will be in pain after a few hundred miles! I should have got a V-stom1000 for the kind of riding I do, but then again I have taken my XRR into some places that A v-strom would have much more difficulty with. Maybe we should start another thread entitled: How many miles has you XRR been on a trailer? -Matt

Do most use a trailer for transporting the XRR? 12226 Do most use a trailer for transporting the XRR? 942555 Do most use a trailer for transporting the XRR? 508313 Do most use a trailer for transporting the XRR? Suspect Do most use a trailer for transporting the XRR? 70125 Do most use a trailer for transporting the XRR? 448159 Do most use a trailer for transporting the XRR? 732569 Do most use a trailer for transporting the XRR? 550158 Do most use a trailer for transporting the XRR? 88953 Do most use a trailer for transporting the XRR? 37262 Do most use a trailer for transporting the XRR? 994261 Do most use a trailer for transporting the XRR? 242585

Back to top Go down

Do most use a trailer for transporting the XRR? Empty Re: Do most use a trailer for transporting the XRR?

Post  Guest Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:47 am

I have a fancy dual Kendon trailer, street bike was on it to move out here to CO that is the reason I bought it to move the wifes and I's bikes. My bike is a plated BRP, and a 6.3 Gallon tank. I am used to very long trips on street bikes, so no problem there. However with that said my bro and I trailer our bikes if we are going to Leadville, CO or other areas away from Springs. Trailering lets us be relaxed, and at the end of the day the drive home is much nicer then a ride home would have been.

I do plan to ride further, and camping down the road is a possibility. I was considering riding to TN to visit my folks, but this years odd weather I think I will pass. However I plan to do such a trip in the future, with the goal of staying as mostly to dirt roads as I can. I might do a smaller test run next Spring (no destination in mind right now).

One thing about dirt vs street riding, after 150 miles I'm tired. On the street bike 400 miles and I started to get sore, 500 miles I really wanted to stop, but had did 800 miles days before. That is when a nice hotel is needed with a good sleep in the next morning. :-)

Back to top Go down

Do most use a trailer for transporting the XRR? Empty Re: Do most use a trailer for transporting the XRR?

Post  Guest Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:47 am

AURORA wrote:Do most use a trailer for transporting the the XRR for weekend or jaunt?

Do you camp in a tent or trailer for weekend trips?

Just wonder if I need to get something for hauling the XRR. asking for it

Aurora:

Yeah, I've been wondering the same things. I had a hitch hauler for a while, but I found it somewhat scary with the big azzz XRR 650 or 600 attached to it.

I guess it's all subjective, but I hate riding slab through congested areas and especially the super slab. I'd rather tow the bike with my cage through those areas. There's nothing like sitting on a race bike in traffic. It makes me want to do hooligan type stuff. Smile

I would not mind staging so much, except for one thing. You have to return to the same damn place! Kinda ruins a lot of potentially awesome rides....

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:15 am

Anyting approaching 100 miles to get to the start of the ride, I now use this on my Jeep 4X4 Grand Cherokee:

http://www.joedealer.com/s/shop/item.asp?eid=111648_3__ultimatemxhauler_v3

I put on a Class III hitch on my Jeep. Pretty secure bur with with some slight rear sag when mounted.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:32 am

That one looks much stouter vs. my last one. Very Happy

I'd still like a small utility trailer, though. The prices are insane on them....

Dave

Back to top Go down

Do most use a trailer for transporting the XRR? Empty I use both

Post  Guest Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:36 pm

I use a small standup jet ski trailer I've had forever and I converted to hold a couple of dirt bikes too. It holds two bikes, four gas cans, an ice chest, gear bags, and a ramp. And I use my pickup for short day rides. It really depends on the situation.

I used to have a consulting job that I got paid for mileage. So I drove a new Honda Civic. Made about a grand tax free every month off that. I'd tow my little trailer with my Civic all the time. If I had a short day a long ways out then I'd sometimes take my trailer and go riding after. Or I'd take my dog and go hiking by taking a shortcut over the mountains from SD to Palm Springs (Hwy 74).

I'm selling the trailer now. It needs to be blasted and painted. And once you blast something you'll probably find something that needs to be welded. It comes with everything. Not that I'm trying to sell it on here but you can get an idea what is out there and for how much. I've found that the cheapest way to go is to either buy a jet ski trailer and convert it. Or, if you want enclosed and are not picky about looks, you can often find an old horse trailer for nothing. Horses weigh a lot more than dirt bikes so the trailers are pretty rugged. Don't be pessimistic about prices. Mine is only $450 and it includes new tires and wheels, new buddy bearings and covers, new wiring up front, a spare tire, a dolly to move it around, fire extinguisher, spare tire and wheel, jack with wheel and skid, 4 ancra tie downs, ramp, and so forth. I want to sell to someone who needs a whole setup for cheap.

Here's the ad. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10889304#post10889304

If I use my dually to haul my bike then I have a hitch carrier that will hold a lot of gear. I don't like hitch carriers in general unless they are attached to something pretty stout like my C3500. I tried using a Boss Hitch carrier for my XRR on my wife's 2006 4Runner and the 4Runner was overwhelmed. Spooked me. But on my dually I don't even notice things. Opps, was that a Prius I ran over? Boss makes a great hitch insert that has a cam in it so it tightens to eliminate slop in the fit. Pretty neat. And it has a ramp built into it. But the XRR was far too heavy for it. I bought the hitch carrier off CL in Sacramento for about $100. It was about $500 new from one of those Jeep outfitters that make a lot of stuff out of nice round tubing. Then I made a floor for it out of 1" plywood I got for free and voila, I got a nice setup that is pretty organized and robust.

But I'm headed toward a camper and light enclosed trailer setup. I need a camper because we also tow a boat often. So a toy trailer and a boat won't go together. A camper goes with everything especially our two young kids. I'm looking to get a 4WD toy next year perhaps. Looking for a late model IH Scout II, Perhaps a SSII. I want something the top comes off and won't cost a lot.

To prepare for the camper a friend and I built a complete 4 link rear suspension for my dually. We made a huge brace we welded inside the frame rails. Added 4 air bags and two compressors, and an air tank. Plus gauges and all. Am not in the process of adding an air fitting behind the rear license plate by the hidden hitch thing so I can have air anywhere. And i'm trying to figure out how to mount a sway bar in the rear. Thinking of converting it to a newer GM rearend that has disc brakes but that is looking like too much work for the benefit. Once I have the suspension all sorted out then I'll get one of those new automatic levelers and I'll buy a camper.

Back to top Go down

Do most use a trailer for transporting the XRR? Empty Carrier

Post  Guest Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:07 pm

I use a carrier that slides into my towbar mount. This one I got locally but I'm sure you can get them the the US

http://winghamweldingworks.com.au/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=26

I had a 7X4 trailer but it was just a PITA.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down