Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shared long oil cover bolt

Go down

Shared long oil cover bolt Empty Shared long oil cover bolt

Post  Guest Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:54 am

Torqued all the bolts to the 9lb but for some reason the long bolt on the uper right handside sheared off, had to take right hand crankcase cover off and then turned broken bolt out with screwdriver after soaking with CRC, lucky Shared long oil cover bolt Icon_biggrin

Back to top Go down

Shared long oil cover bolt Empty Yikes!

Post  Guest Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:32 pm

Dodged a bullet there...

Back to top Go down

Shared long oil cover bolt Empty Ask Focker

Post  Guest Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:25 am

Not positive but I believe Focker had the same experience, I have heard that when a nut or bolt has grease or oil on it you do not get a true torque.

Back to top Go down

Shared long oil cover bolt Empty Re: Shared long oil cover bolt

Post  Guest Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:51 am

I have heard that too about oil on the threads. I think "propper" torque lies in between a high and low number and the manual gives the high number. I over tightened mine too but mine didnt break, I noticed a very slight stretching of the bolt when I pulled it out the next time. Since then I dont even use a torque wrench. I use a quarter inch socket and a 6 inch extension with a nurled handle and just tighten it untill it feels like it wont come loose. I keep an eye on them. I wish I could find a source for those nuts and bolts with the little holes drilled in them so I could safety wire a couple things like that that I always tighten below spec. -Matt

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:02 pm

^^^ I use that method for all my bolts on all bikes, cars, and what not...never had one come out or break. Don't even own a torque wrench.

Back to top Go down

Shared long oil cover bolt Empty Here's who I use

Post  Guest Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:48 am

They have all the best stuff and they are trustworthy. Scroll down for the toll(s) you need for safety wiring and drilling fasteners.

http://www.davebean.com/Tools.htm

Matthendurocat wrote:I have heard that too about oil on the threads. I think "propper" torque lies in between a high and low number and the manual gives the high number. I over tightened mine too but mine didnt break, I noticed a very slight stretching of the bolt when I pulled it out the next time. Since then I dont even use a torque wrench. I use a quarter inch socket and a 6 inch extension with a nurled handle and just tighten it untill it feels like it wont come loose. I keep an eye on them. I wish I could find a source for those nuts and bolts with the little holes drilled in them so I could safety wire a couple things like that that I always tighten below spec. -Matt

Back to top Go down

Shared long oil cover bolt Empty wire tie tool

Post  Guest Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:31 am

Recently, purchased one from Harbor freight for $8. It is a cheap knock off but seems to work pretty good and will be ok for what little use it will get from me. PS, why do you Honda guys need safety ties? The only reason I bought one is for my 2 stroke. The only thing safety wired on the the xr is the hand grips.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:39 pm

an old story...
crappy screws on the oil filter cover

Back to top Go down

Shared long oil cover bolt Empty no reason

Post  Guest Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:24 am

Nothing on my scoot is safety wired. That will change if I start having a problem it can solve. Unless of course you include cable ties on the spokes. I do that.

As the bike gets older I assume I will be using safety wire in a few places.

mamacone wrote:Recently, purchased one from Harbor freight for $8. It is a cheap knock off but seems to work pretty good and will be ok for what little use it will get from me. PS, why do you Honda guys need safety ties? The only reason I bought one is for my 2 stroke. The only thing safety wired on the the xr is the hand grips.

Back to top Go down

Shared long oil cover bolt Empty Spokes?

Post  Guest Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:12 am

Cable ties on spokes? What does that do? -Matt

Back to top Go down

Shared long oil cover bolt Empty Cable Ties on Spokes

Post  Guest Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:57 pm

You install the tie where the spokes cross each other and make an X. If you break a spoke or it comes loose somehow the tie holds the spoke in place instead of it spining fast and destroying lots of stuff. Some people say it helps keep the spokes tight but I've no idea about that. I guess it might cut down on vibration.

You want to use a high quality cable tie. Don't use the cheap stuff from harbor freight/home depot. Go to Grainger or McMaster Carr and get the good stuff. While there get 10 of their huge cable ties-like nearly a yard long. That way if you ever need you can cable tie a flat tire to the rim and ride for a long ways. You can use the stainless steel cable ties from moose too but they gorilla up the rim.

Matthendurocat wrote:Cable ties on spokes? What does that do? -Matt

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down