Pigging Snow

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Pigging Snow

Post  Hew on Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:20 pm

I really enjoy this section seeing the rides in other parts of the world so I am copying a ride report I have done on a local forum for a ride last Sunday. We have had far more snow and ice this winter than is normal for the UK.
It was my first ride out with a Mikuni carb and a rebuilt rear shock.
I changed the settings of the shock a few times during the ride and am having longer throttle cables made to refit higher handle bars

For sometime I had been trying to set up a ride for Andy and his new BMW XC and also with Chris 356 so that I could pick up some CRM parts. The snow and ice had meant that it was with the 450EXC that Andy turned up for the rides.
However with the recent thaw it was game on.

I don't think that this is what he had in mind when he signed up.

However he has obviously been spending his time going through the touratech catalogue.

To be honest I was not sure how the day was going to go but with Andy, Chris356 and Owldknacker having made it to the start point it was rude not to have a go.
Myself and Chris (CRF) had ridden the 8 miles or so, getting our eye in on the way.
My fear on Saturday was sheet ice again on the back roads but all roads were now covered in snow which we soon discovered gave a reasonable amount of grip, well until you made a sudden movement :thud:

Nothing like wet feet to start the day.

The breakfast stop at Ruthin was a welcome sight with the chance to get warm again.

So far so good no real dramas. I had a new Mikuni pumper carb on the XR which was running OK. Fitting the carb meant that I had to put the original low bars on due to short throttle cables. the riding position was not as natural as I would like so I spent most of the day sitting down. Good job its not a KTM blah

Out of Ruthin we started to hit some old drifts now covered with fresh snow

Down the new section in the forest

and back up again

A quick breather at Cyffylliog bridge where I took the chance to adjust my newly rebuilt shock.
Chris with his fully eaten snack

I used the XR as an ice breaker through the next section

It was deep

Andy breaks the next section

Len rinses his clothes in it

High up by the windmills my bike starts to pop and bang, I curse thinking it has gone on reserve but Chris points out his was doing the same, carb icing

From here we started making our way back towards Ruthin and fuel

I'd just pulled up at the fuel pump when Andy pulls up saying Chris(CRF)his chain had snapped a mile up the road.
We paid for the fuel and headed back. Luckily it was the split link that had gone with such a big bang.
It was also lucky that he had refitted the standard case saver as it was missing the day before when were fitting new tyres. The bike was fixed apart from a tight link in the chain. Len was struggling to see in the driving snow so he and Chris decided to head back by road. we did a few more lanes over the Moel Famau before cutting the last section and arrived back at the car park just as len was about to head off.

All in all it was a much better day than I expected when I opened the garage door first thing in the morning.
Hew
XRR Freak

XR650R Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Re: Pigging Snow

Post  Focker on Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:19 pm

Incredible...Thanks for sharing.
This one's crazy...I would hate to fall in that water and with my off road skills...I would. s--t head

Focker
Site Owner

http://www.xr650rforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post  rikco on Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:41 am

looks cold

nice pics and nice trip it was im sure about that

thnkz for the share

greets from the netherlands
rikco
XRR Jockey

XR650R Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Bitchin

Post  Bump on Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:54 am

You guys are hard core.
Bump
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post  big boar, little man on Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:33 pm

Great photos and comentry, thanks for sharing. 25cms of snow here too. My bike and I are hybanating at the moment
big boar, little man
XRR Jockey

XR650R Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top