Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

idle going up and down

Go down

idle going up and down Empty idle going up and down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:22 pm

Hey guys I recently bought a 2000 XRR that was a bit rough around the edges but I got a killer deal on it so why not. The guy I bought it from didnt know much about the bikes history because he got the bike as payment for a job an sold it cus he needed money. But I seem to be having an issue with the idle, the fire ups perfectly and idles how it should. But after the bike warms up the idle goes up a noticeable amount. I adjust the idle down and after a little bit it goes back up again.??The bike runs fine and I have no problems with it except for this funky idle deal. the bike is uncorked, i have a 175 main jet and a 68s pilot (elevation is at about 200 ft) I also did a valve adjustment and and cleaned the carb out, the bike runs and starts much smoother than it did before. Was wondering if anyone had any ideas what the problem could be? help

Back to top Go down

idle going up and down Empty Re: idle going up and down

Post  Focker Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:56 am

Have you looked at the throttle cable & linkage?

Where's the choke set at when all this is happening?

Have you adjusted the air/mixture screw? You need to set that first before messing with the idle.

It sounds like it could be something simple...Hence the basic questions.
Focker
Focker
Site Owner

http://www.xr650rforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:22 pm

The choke is all the way down,(so off) and the air screw is about 2 turns out.

But i checked the throttle cable and there doesnt seem to be much free play, il loosen that up a bit and get back to you, thanks for the suggestions Very Happy

Back to top Go down

idle going up and down Empty check for air/vacume leaks

Post  Guest Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:48 am

your carb sounds like it's getting too much air in the mixture when it heats up. perhaps something is expanding and letting a leak through.
a modern FI vehicle doesn't use a choke, obviously, but to control the idle, they utilize an IAC (idle air control valve) which adjusts the cars idle by letting more or less air by into the mixture.
so this proves that too much air will crank up the idle. it's one possible cause. when the bike is idling, carefully spray some solvent around the intake manifold, if the idle raises, then you found your leak. but don't spray near the air cleaner intake or you'll get a false surge, and reading.
and sometimes it takes more than one carb cleaning to do the trick.
good luck man.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum