Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2005 impossiable to start when hot

Go down

2005 impossiable to start when hot Empty 2005 impossiable to start when hot

Post  Guest Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:25 am

i have a 2005 brp and it is impossiable to start when hot, without a hill to jump start it on, it is fully uncorked, this past weekend was the first time i had it out, fresh plug whole nine yards, when cold 3 kicks fires right up, but an hour later cant make it run on a kick, does it need a hot start or can i get and aftermarket electric starter, or is something just screwed up. this is my first 4 stroke, ilove this bike but am still a 2 stroke fanatic

Back to top Go down

2005 impossiable to start when hot Empty Re: 2005 impossiable to start when hot

Post  Guest Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:19 pm

Try turn fuel petcock off before (let engine run for a few seconds) killing the engine.

Second, Fuel off, put bike in neutral, apply front brake while maintaining wide open throttle, kick engine to TDC, then slowly kick one notch to break TDC, allow kick start to return to top of stroke, then kick her over. When she starts running, reduce throttle, then fuel petcock to on or reserve.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:21 pm

algnoid wrote:i have a 2005 brp and it is impossiable to start when hot, without a hill to jump start it on, it is fully uncorked, this past weekend was the first time i had it out, fresh plug whole nine yards, when cold 3 kicks fires right up, but an hour later cant make it run on a kick, does it need a hot start or can i get and aftermarket electric starter, or is something just screwed up. this is my first 4 stroke, ilove this bike but am still a 2 stroke fanatic

Does the bike require any choke when cold?

Back to top Go down

2005 impossiable to start when hot Empty cool

Post  Guest Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:28 pm

i am going to try that this saturday, i hope this does the trick, do you know if i can get and aftermarket hot start for it? the pig already weighs a ton so i would prefer to stay away from electric start

Back to top Go down

2005 impossiable to start when hot Empty also

Post  Guest Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:32 pm

yes it requires choke on first start when cold, but one good kick on it fires up

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:47 am

Your going to have to play around with the carb. Mine did the same thing after uncorking even though I followed what others had reccomended. After some fine tuning I dont have a problem. Yes there are times it still is hard to restart, mostly after its been laid down.

Back to top Go down

Post  Focker Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:43 pm

mamacone was just telling me that his hard start issue went away by ensuring the valves were set exactly to spec.
Focker
Focker
Site Owner

http://www.xr650rforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:50 am

Did you figure it out?

Back to top Go down

2005 impossiable to start when hot Empty you're likely running too lean

Post  Guest Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:37 am

tear that carb off and slap on Mikuni.
or you can just re-jet and needle the existing carb if you like. but once you get more fuel into it, and a free flowing muffler as well, the starting problems go away, providing all other mechaincals are ok. I had to learn this years ago from other people too so...
see if your plugs look super clean. they should at least have a tan or coffee color on the tip. black is too rich, clean is too lean.
No new XR of any size I have ever seen runs properly with all-stock arrangment. none, never.
that goes for streetbikes as well. the EPA ruins it, and I correct it.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down