Clark 4500HP 12 Cyliner Engine

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Clark 4500HP 12 Cyliner Engine

Post  Hodakaguy on Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:46 am

Just got back from working on a 4500HP Clark 2 cycle, 12 Cylinder Natural Gas Fired Engine/Compressor Unit. We had to change out a couple cylinder liners, Pistons, Rods ect.

I took a few pictures to share in case anyone else likes large industrial engines.

Here's one of the Units, My co-worker standing in front of the cylinder heads taking some pics. You can see the three compressors that the 12 cylinder engine drives. The reciprocating motion of the crankshaft is transformed via cross heads into linear motion to drive the compressors. These compressors compress natural gas.

Taken from the top of the cat walk from one of the units, looking at the Unit that's being worked on.

Cylinder heads. 6 Cylinders on each side. You can see the air intake manifolds for both banks.

Here's a shot of my ugly mug...

Here you can see the oil cooler along with some of the coolant/oil lines. This unit is massive!

Here Dean is standing in front of the mechanical oil pump, look at the size of the block on this bad boy

Here I'm standing in between two of the three double acting compressors that the engine drives. You can really see how big they are in this shot. On the ground you can see a cylinder head in the bottom left corner of the pic.

Here I'm standing next to a new chrome cylinder liner, we just finished prepping this liner for install.

Installing the new liner.

Looking into the block. You can see the intake and exhaust ports. A co-worker is cleaning inside the crank case, gives a good reference to the size of the crank.

Piston with the Master Rod attached.

Piston with the Link Rod attached. Only the master rod attaches to the crank shaft, the opposite link rod attaches directly to the master rod via a link pin.

Here the piston crown is separated from the skirt. The pistons are a 3 piece unit. Look at the size of the crank pin bearings!

New parts getting ready to be assembled. Master Rod with Hanger, Link Rod, Link Pin, Piston Pin ect.

Assembled piston on the piston stand.

Spare Turbo Chargers

Thought you might like a look.
Hodakaguy
Hodakaguy
XRR Jockey

XR650R Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Re: Clark 4500HP 12 Cyliner Engine

Post  Focker on Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:43 pm

Perfect timing...I need a vise stand! naughty

Focker
Site Owner

http://www.xr650rforum.com

Back to top Go down

Geed stuff!

Post  Bump on Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:21 pm

Thanks for the tour. I like it!

I worked in Alaska for several summers many years ago. One ship I was on had, at that time (1981), the largest engines Cat ever made. They were giant. The engine room was built around them. I sorta knew how to weld so when I wasn't fishing or sliming fish I got to hang with the engineers. Or perhaps they liked me because I was the only one of 120 new employees who took a look at pulling chain and said, "I ain't ever gonna do that! You can just send me back to LA now if that is what you expect of me." The engine noise just completely penetrated your whole body. I'm always impressed with this sort of thing. If you are ever in Jerome, AZ stop in to the old junkyard/museum there. If it is still there that is. I was there about 1988 or so. The guy was repairing a bearing in a single cylinder antique log planing machine. He was pouring the bearing into place and then bolting the rod and crank stuff back together! It was amazing to watch. I think it was called a Babbit bearing or something like that. Maybe davit. Don't recall-too much football without a helmet... Neat guy too. Wasn't old then. But he seemed like he had generations of knowledge. He had all sorts of old stuff he made run. Really neat place. Unfortunately I was with some girlfriend then and couldn't spend the whole week there...

Ahh, Google: http://www.goldkingmineghosttown.com/
Looks like the place has grown alot! And he charges $5. Probably to cover shoplifting... This is the sort of thing you either love or hate. Looks like Focker, Hodakaguy and I are love it types!

THANKS FOR THE POST!!!
Bump
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post  Hodakaguy on Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:28 am

Focker wrote:Perfect timing...I need a vise stand!

These wouldn't have worked, they are to tall and have domed piston crowns. I'll keep ya in mind though if we have to change out any KVS pistons again.

Hodakaguy
Hodakaguy
XRR Jockey

Back to top Go down

Post  Hodakaguy on Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:29 am

Bump wrote:Thanks for the tour. I like it!

I worked in Alaska for several summers many years ago. One ship I was on had, at that time (1981), the largest engines Cat ever made. They were giant. The engine room was built around them. I sorta knew how to weld so when I wasn't fishing or sliming fish I got to hang with the engineers. Or perhaps they liked me because I was the only one of 120 new employees who took a look at pulling chain and said, "I ain't ever gonna do that! You can just send me back to LA now if that is what you expect of me." The engine noise just completely penetrated your whole body. I'm always impressed with this sort of thing. If you are ever in Jerome, AZ stop in to the old junkyard/museum there. If it is still there that is. I was there about 1988 or so. The guy was repairing a bearing in a single cylinder antique log planing machine. He was pouring the bearing into place and then bolting the rod and crank stuff back together! It was amazing to watch. I think it was called a Babbit bearing or something like that. Maybe davit. Don't recall-too much football without a helmet... Neat guy too. Wasn't old then. But he seemed like he had generations of knowledge. He had all sorts of old stuff he made run. Really neat place. Unfortunately I was with some girlfriend then and couldn't spend the whole week there...

Ahh, Google: http://www.goldkingmineghosttown.com/
Looks like the place has grown alot! And he charges $5. Probably to cover shoplifting... This is the sort of thing you either love or hate. Looks like Focker, Hodakaguy and I are love it types!

THANKS FOR THE POST!!!

Thanks for the link...looks like my kind of place I love old engines ect, soooooo cool!

Hodakaguy
Hodakaguy
XRR Jockey

Back to top Go down

Post  BuRP on Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:08 pm

Bump,

Babbit is correct. White-metal bearings, super-soft, I think there's a lot of Tin in, and probably Lead too.
Part of my practical was assembling this sort of machinery, however quite a bit bigger. I've been standing on a piston whilst it was jogged hence moved, awesome experience, and walking in a horizontal cylinder I've done too. That factory doesn't exist anymore however, they went bankrupt when a client didn't pay for 6 huuuuge gasturbines.
You guys are not the only one liking this kinda stuff ;-)
BuRP
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top