Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

on road titling in NY

Go down

on road titling in NY Empty on road titling in NY

Post  Guest Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:35 am

hi ,new to the forum. I want to get my xr on the road. Can anyone steer me in the right direction? I live in upstate NY

Back to top Go down

on road titling in NY Empty What exactly are you asking for?

Post  Guest Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:52 am

The NY Law reqs? parts?

Back to top Go down

on road titling in NY Empty Re: on road titling in NY

Post  Guest Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:20 am

Switching the off-road title to an on-road title is my biggest hurdle. Getting it street legal is no problem. NY sucks when it comes to that. We ran out of places to ride by me and i live in the sticks!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:23 am

I'm sorry.The baja designs kit and dot tires is all you need to get it inspected.

Back to top Go down

on road titling in NY Empty You might be the only NY guy on here.

Post  Guest Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:46 pm

So I'd suggest you also post to the Yahoo group and the regional ADVRider forum for specific NY stuff. Sorry I can'y help more.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:07 pm

amador97 wrote:Switching the off-road title to an on-road title is my biggest hurdle.Getting it street legal is no problem.NY sucks when it comes to that.We ran out of places to ride by me and i live in the sticks!

Therein, lies the problem. Here in Oregon, that's the red flag that tells the DMV "no go" on plating the bike. Back when the dealerships were sending in the paperwork, the state would issue the plates no problem, no off-road designation on the title.

I've heard too many stories here recently about guys getting their bikes plated, but then 90 days or so later they get the dreaded letter from Salem saying to surrender the plate and then wait forever for the refund. on road titling in NY 218831

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:15 pm

yeah it's gonna take lots of homework but hopefully there's some kind loophold. I've been told that there's a title company in Alabama that can issue a title but yet to find it. My buddy lives in PA n titled his kdx back in 98 but they've changed the rules since.

Back to top Go down

on road titling in NY Empty There are usually loopholes

Post  Guest Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:54 am

Here in California there are a few. You can inherit the bike from a deceased relative out of state where the bike was already plated. You can bring it into CA plated from another state if it has over 7K miles. There are a couple more. One used to be that you could bring in cars and bikes from other states if you were on a trip and your car/bike grenaded and you had to buy another to get home. We brought in several 2WD K5 Blazers in 1982 from a friend's dealership in Parker, AZ to convert to prerunners. Worked like a charm and no smog.

There are others but people are kinda closed lipped about them. I heard that the DMV regularly googles these forums to find info about how people are skirting the laws. For example I know a sure way to do it and I intend to use it on a new bike for my wife and either a new YZ250 2stroke or a KTM 300EXC 2stroke for myself soon. So I ain't posting it here. I've already worked all the details and everything. I discovered the idea by accident and don't know of anyone else who has done it so if I keep my mouth shut it should fly under the radar...

One obvious way is to buy some other bike that is very similar and transfer the #s to the XRR. And I mean literally transfer the #s. Your XRR is now forever an XRL but it's also street legal. You just have to go all the way through the process so it's bullet-proof if it all gets checked by a smart official.

The smart and easy thing to do is simply to buy an XR650R that was plated legally before the laws changed. This has to be teh cheapest way to do it as well. Plus the plated bikes are often a lot less abused in my experience. Most of the processes above are for bikes made after the cutoff.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:07 pm

i'm gonna keep tryin,my xr is in decent shape.I'll try to find the easiest way to do it.Thanks for heads up on the watchful eye,it makes sence.They got nothin beter to do like keepin an eye minor things like this.It's revenue!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon May 16, 2011 11:47 pm

[![/quote] Finally did it ,pig is titled n road legal banana banana

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Tue May 17, 2011 8:16 am

Strange laws over your side of the pond, over here if your bike is legal...has a chassis number you can ride it on the road needs basic stuff for MOT but you can get away without lights, ignition and other stuff.
Mauser
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 17, 2011 10:06 am

"... without lights, ignition and other stuff"

Yip, strange laws indeed razz

You're LUCKY, admit it Maus!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 17, 2011 1:22 pm

if my brp didnt had a plate and i needed one now, then i think in my country its also no go anymore or i have to pay bigtime.
the legal on road supermotards are a must here nowadays cause many bikers sell the racer and get a sm back because the laws and fines for speeding are going insane overhere but when i lift my front wheel infront of a cop i loose my licence for 10 days at least with a fine like 1500 euro? and that for a first timer, think about it when its done 2nd or 3rd times...........byebye licence and maybe byebye brp listen up

fines are going up in the netherlands from 1-1-2012 with 35% affraid

i think its almost better here to ride without a plate naughty

cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed May 18, 2011 11:07 pm

It was'nt easy n lil pricey.Totally worth it!All I did was get a dual element bulb n break light switch,tires too.I"ll use hand signals n keep it simple!It"s freakn awesome!They"re crackn down on everything in New York too.They"re broke(YEAH RITE) Sad Thanx 4 all the info n support guys

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun May 22, 2011 5:16 pm

Hello amador congrat! Hey which dual element bulb and brake light switch did you gey? I need these items to do mine, waiting for some parts like the ricky stator and mini turn signals

amador97 wrote:It was'nt easy n lil pricey.Totally worth it!All I did was get a dual element bulb n break light switch,tires too.I"ll use hand signals n keep it simple!It"s freakn awesome!They"re crackn down on everything in New York too.They"re broke(YEAH RITE) Sad Thanx 4 all the info n support guys

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 24, 2011 1:54 am

hey bikerman,I used a universal switch that goes right into the rear brake master(not the kind with the spring) n a led brake light off of ebay that fits in the stock light.I'm using the stock stator so i kept it simple .(no blinkers nstuff)It cost me like $60.It works really well surprisingly

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down