Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Newbie

Go down

Another Newbie Empty Another Newbie

Post  Guest Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:50 am

Hi Everyone ; I am from the great NW, been ridin and restorin bikes since I was 14, have really enjoyed most of the ones I've had . The first of the year I had sold a few bikes and was having a bit of empty shop blues, so I started looking at models I had been wanting to maybe get involved with . I came upon a 2004 XR 650 R and got real interested , so after some looking around a little more I got back to the seller and we got together for a look and ride, it ran good ,but didn't look that sweet ! After some discussion and pointing things out about the bike, we settled on a price. After getting it home I decided to go online and get a little more imfo about the ins and outs of the model, thats when I came upon this forum and a few others, and spent a fair amount of time reading all the comments and suggestions . I have used some of the advice of members in the direction I would take as far as the type of mods I would do and equipment setup. The bike is down to bare frame now, with a bunch of new parts ready to go back into and on it, so before I start the re-assembly, I had a couple questions that I was hoping someone could shed some insight or experience about. On tear down of the chassis it seems to me that there is a significant amount of "twist / torque" applied more so to the left swing arm pivot (from the condition of the bearings and pivot bolt), the motor mounts didn't show much of any gauling or ovaling of brackets, and everything was still quite tight. Another thing I saw when I tore down the motor was the left side (opposite the oil jet) , on the wrist pin, was full circumfrance was gauled and showed high temp blueing . From what I can make out, it is from the rod blocking the spray from the oil jet to that side. Wondered if any one had similar findings?

Back to top Go down

Another Newbie Empty Re: Another Newbie

Post  Guest Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:38 am

Yo Fonda,

no idea abut the conrod, haven't been there yet.
There is a wealth of info on this specific bike on http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=409774&page=835 albeit a bit hidden, it is a huuuuuge thread. But ask there?
The Falicon rods do have a good rep, and can be had from XRsOnly, I'm sure you've found them by now (but if not - do!).
Stripping the engine is a good thing, and check the clutch basket bushing too. Renew the driveshaft's oilseal too I'd recommend, but maybe you'll chuck in all new bearings & seals in any case, you've got it open now anyway.
Have fun, this is a very nice bike, and this big a Honda won't come again soon I reckon.

Back to top Go down

Another Newbie Empty Thanks for the reply BuRP !

Post  Guest Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:20 pm

It seems I might be coming to the party a little late ? Everyone here has been involved with there piggies for some time, and the excitrment may be fading ? I know how that goes, here I am 2012, got a new project, got my sleeves rolled up and my shop manuel layed open, been ordering parts for weeks, more than half have arrived, and I am about to start putting it all back together with the anticipation of that first ride! BuRp - the few must's you mentioned, I noted a while back from reading a lot of post's ! So I had a list to check as I went through engine parts. The timing chain and piston rings were my initial go to for the tear down, I am replacing both (motor had an estimated 9k mi. on it) , from there I wanted to put the HRC cam in it, and then the clutch , it was well notched (basket and inner hub) , so I went with a Hinson basket and oem inner, new bushing,bearing,springs,washer,lock nut. The list is long and a bit of money! But for what I got the bike for, and the 5-6 K I will put into it, it is going to be a sweet ride when I'm done. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:05 pm

Nope, you're not late, this forum is a bit quiet - if that's what you mean that is. Still a good place to be though, especially so for pointed questions.
I also am not finished yet ( angry ) but the time will come, and that's all I need, time.... a scarce commodity for me of late. And money one can throw at these bikes I've found out, but then again this is a keeper for me, don't mind it at all. It's a cracker to ride, oodles of torque everywhere, raw power without having to rev the tits off it - I don't need more than that.
Enjoy your build!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down