Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

spindle spacer tolerance

Go down

spindle spacer tolerance Empty spindle spacer tolerance

Post  Guest Fri May 06, 2016 11:02 am

I have just bought a second hand Talon front wheel advertised as coming off an XR650R thats funny

Turns out it off a cr500 beat head

So I have ordered a hub spacer from Talon but I am going to have to have some wheel spacers made up as the CR hub is wider.

So when I draw all it up for an engineering shop, what tolerances do I need to be working to?

Cheers

bp

Back to top Go down

spindle spacer tolerance Empty Re: spindle spacer tolerance

Post  Guest Fri May 06, 2016 11:36 am

The ID of the spacer needs to be a slide fit on the spindle and would usually be done with a sized reamer, so ID would be spindle diameter -0 +0.05
The OD needs to be the the correct diameter for the wheel bearing seal so -0 +0.1mm would be ok.
Width would be ok as a + or - 0.1 although it is not really that critical its easy enough to work to.
Regards
Eddie

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri May 06, 2016 11:44 am

Tolerances depend on the size, it's not a percentage but an 'amount' depending on the size.
But, I can't help notice you're British (for want of a word, English, Scottish, Irish, IsleofMannish, a Blightyer so to say Smile, and you dudes work with furlings per fourthnight, not so?
In ISOland (= rest of the world minus that island calld US...) we work with Angstroms - for which you have to have a calculator with a very wide display because they're tiny critters them!!
You got such a calculator?
Thought so, pity... razz

Any engineering shop will easily fabricate to within +/- 0.25mm bru, so that's not the problem.
Your specs will be, especially when they're derived from measuring/measurements.
Make sure those are accurate, then make a drawing accordingly and the eng-shop will do the rest Bump

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri May 06, 2016 2:37 pm

Are you a farmer? I thought Angstroms was a breed of cattle....... I live near the seaside so I will be measuring in leagues and fathoms using the plimsoll line on the front disc as my datum. Furlongs and chains wont work because of the salt in the air.

Ahem.

Anyhoo, sound advice from both of you so thanks for that.

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Fri May 06, 2016 4:44 pm

Size & fit are a British Standard....they have letters you can specify after a dimension which indicate the correct tolerance required...see here for more info Smile
http://www.skf.com/uk/products/bearings-units-housings/ball-bearings/principles/bearing-basics/basic-bearing-designation-system/prefixes-and-suffixes/suffixes-c/index.html
Mauser
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon May 09, 2016 8:02 am

Yes Mauser,

as I said, depends on the size itself - a kilometer (quite a number of fathoms I fathom) will have a huuge span whilst an Angstrom will have nothing on a Vernier - and if you discover a pun in there somewhere then well done Bump

I like this gripperod dude, at least when bitten he bites back - Which makes him probably an ex sailor pining for some wind in his hairs (if any left) hence now wants to bark along the beaches BRP smile BRP smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon May 09, 2016 8:11 am

Gripperod,

on your farming bit, if Angstroms is a breed of cattle then they're perfectly suited for Vegans, Vegetarians and other Plants.... because they're sooo tiny you won't even notice when you'd inhale one!
Angus though is a breed apart, and if you're not a Plant then better jump at the opportunity to taste it if ever the opportunity presents itself! "Marbled meat", thin layers of fat (= TASTE!) inbetween the muscles (= meat) makes for a genuine delicacy if the chef doesn't screw his cooking/searing up.

What this has to do with front wheel spacers - beats me, but you've made me hungry now.... which is shit because I forgot to pack my lunch, I'll have to go hungry now until tonight Frustrated

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon May 09, 2016 8:21 am

Mauser wrote:Size & fit are a British Standard....they have letters you can specify after a dimension which indicate the correct tolerance required...see here for more info Smile
http://www.skf.com/uk/products/bearings-units-housings/ball-bearings/principles/bearing-basics/basic-bearing-designation-system/prefixes-and-suffixes/suffixes-c/index.html

Holy begeeezusss Maus', trust the English to stuff things up properly!!!
That link, had a look, and a heart-attack too .... what's wrong with declaring a tolerance field, a simple span?
"20 +.1/-o mm" makes life easier, not so?
Hell, no wonder the new Triumphs are made in millimeters today, they're good bikes now suddenly!

Now wheere's my popcorn?
asking for it

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon May 09, 2016 8:46 pm

BuRP wrote:Which makes him probably an ex sailor pining for some wind in his hairs (if any left) hence now wants to bark along the beaches BRP smile BRP smile

The hair is long gone but I still have plenty of wind................. Very Happy

Fingers crossed everybody! I spent most of yesterday lining up hubs, rims, discs and caliper and measuring, re-measuring, checking and then re-measuring and then re-checking again. Then I drew up the spacers and took some photos of the hubs (cos apparently they are worth like a thousand words). Fortunately I was able to get a vernier on the original hub and spacers so I had an accurate overall dimension to work with and focused on getting the disc lined up exactly with the caliper and then worried about the position of the rim.

So the spacer drawings and my spindle are at a local engineering works and my wheels are in at a local bike shop for new rubber PLUS having the front rim shifted over by 3.5mm relative to the hub (because CR Yokes/forks are wider than XR650R yokes so when I lined the disc up to the caliper the rim was offset in the forks and vicky verky).

So with a bit of luck I pick everything up on Thursday and have everything back together Friday.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum