Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Greetings from the dutch mountains

Go down

Greetings from the dutch mountains Empty Greetings from the dutch mountains

Post  Guest Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:06 pm

Hi There,

In 2003 i bought a brand new BRP. Was forced to sell it in 2007 with 17.500km on it to complete a renovation.
Told myself "if i ever get the change to buy one .... ".

Recently i was offered a 2005 BRP bone stock with only 2200km on it and i bought it straight away.
Now i am planning a 3 week trip from the Netherlands to France and back on the BRP.

Have no experience with traveling alone on a motor / camping / cooking myself a meal on a coleman and dont speak one word french ...............so it will be a piece of cake trip Frustrated

I will open a topic about preperations of the bike and the trip hoping you can advise me if i have a (lot) question.

Greetings,
Leo

Back to top Go down

Greetings from the dutch mountains Empty Re: Greetings from the dutch mountains

Post  Mauser Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:45 pm

Hi Leo, watch out for the cops in France, dont you have to carry to breathaliser units and other stupid stuff with you ?.
Welcome to the forums BRP smile
Mauser
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:26 pm

Mauser wrote:Hi Leo, watch out for the cops in France, dont you have to carry to breathaliser units and other stupid stuff with you ?.

As far as i know every driver has to carry 2 breathalisers with him/her in France.
And there is something with a reflective jacket and a vignett ... have to do some research on that.

Mauser wrote: Welcome to the forums BRP smile
THX.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:09 pm

I've been going to France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Switzerland for road trips for quite a few years now. Only ever been stopped by the police once, and that was in Switzerland.

The law about the breathalysers is a bit ambiguous. I think that you are suppose to have them, but there's no consequence if you don't. I always take one as they're cheap enough.

You must have a fluorescent vest/ jacket which is quickly accessible, and you must wear one if you stop at the road side. Its a small fine if you don't have one, but a very big one if you stop on the roadside and you're not wearing one.

You should have spare bulbs.

There is a myth about having to have reflectors on your helmet. This is only a requirement for french nationals and helmets bought in France.

Always carry original and copies of your licence and vehicle documents.

You definitely don't need a vignette in France. The only place I know that you need one is Austria, and in Switzerland but only if you go on the motorway.

There are a lot of speed cameras in France, but there are aways warning signs and most of them are forward facing.

Avoid the motorways as they are dull and quite expensive.

One thing that the French are very good at, and that is campsites. There are plenty. They are clean and cheap. Where ever I've ended up, I've always been able to find a good campsite at the last minute. Never any need to book ahead.

Have you seen the TET website? Brilliant if you want an easy way to get some off-roading done. http://www.transeurotrail.org

I used Wikiloc this year which was great as long as you apply the right filters.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:36 pm

R056rx wrote:I've been going to France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Switzerland for road trips for quite a few years now.
Found your latest trip sofar ( Montecarlo )  tonight on this forum
Thx for the Wikiloc tip  nice  and all the other tips in your posting.

R056rx wrote:
Avoid the motorways as they are dull and quite expensive.
I will travel over max. 80KM roads beacause i want to see as much as possible
I aim at 250-300 km a day over asphalt / backroads on the way to france and back.

R056rx wrote:Have you seen the TET website?
Yes i have.
This trip will be a test for me if i like driving alone as a globetrotter.
If so TET UK / Norway will be next on the list.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down