Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'nother new guy

Go down

'nother new guy Empty 'nother new guy

Post  Guest Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:41 pm

New to this forum but like Iggy member of quite a few other moto oriented forums, FJR, Thumpertalk, Adventure Rider, STN, Oregon Dual Sport, IBA, etc. Have been LD riding since 2000 and have continuously owned a bike, street or dirt (or both) since 1969. Current street bike is an '05 FJR with 85,000 miles on it. I live in Stayton, OR about 12 miles east of Salem along OR22.

Got my first XR on a straight trade for my totalled '03 FJR in '04. Since then have bought two more and my son owns one. Two of our four are plated in Oregon. I think the model years are split evenly between '00 and '01.

The one I ride most has been uncorked and has a Dakar DS kit from Electrosport, a Clarke tank, lowered seat, Utah skid plate, Dirt Bagz fender brace, Scott's rear disc guard, Works Connection alum. rear caliper guard, Devol radiator guard and frame guards. Moose fender bag, Moose 200 watt stator, Ascerbis handguards, and IMS SS pegs. I run an Acewell speedo with a ToPeak Panoram and a Garmin 60Csx next to a roll chart holder. Also engineered my own oil site tube from the BD install instructions available on their web site. Gearing on this bike is stock 14/48. Have a WB E-Series pipe to install along with a new rear shock. Ebay has been my friend.

Last July we spent 3 days riding the Oregon back country discovery route #3 from the Santiam Pass on US20 to the CA. border. Plan to do it again this summer and have pioneered an extra day on the north end.

Looking forward to reading posts in the forum and meeting some of you to ride.

dougc

Back to top Go down

'nother new guy Empty Re: 'nother new guy

Post  Guest Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:02 pm

Great to see you made it to the site. Post up some pics of your OBDR ride for us! We are planning on doing the route next summer.

Hodakaguy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:32 pm

Hodakaguy wrote:Great to see you made it to the site. Post up some pics of your OBDR ride for us! We are planning on doing the route next summer.
Hodakaguy

Thanks for the welcome. All of my off-road stuff is here:

http://gallery3.dougc.com/dbds

If you are planning to ride obcdr #3 you might be interested in joining us (or vice versa). We are looking at the second weekend of July tentatively. We will have a support truck carrying gear and supplies showing up at the appointed camping spot each night. Riders will have to carry nothing but water, tools, and a tube or patch kit. It was a blast last year although one friend who joined us the second day riding a KLR crashed and broke himself up pretty good. He's game to go again though.

This year we are considering adding an extra day just to allow more single track and more exploring.

dougc

Back to top Go down

Post  Focker Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:49 pm

dougc wrote:We will have a support truck carrying gear and supplies showing up at the appointed camping spot each night. Riders will have to carry nothing but water, tools, and a tube or patch kit.dougc

Now we're talking...And no it's not cheating. trust
Focker
Focker
Site Owner

http://www.xr650rforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:04 am

Support crew? What! That would be fun...but I really like camping off the bike bike better. Its kinda fun to just ride until you find the perfect sweet camping spot and set up camp. Plus you don't have to worry about making time to meet up with the support crew.

Not exactly sure yet what are plans are for next summer, if we are going to try and do the whole OBDR at once or if we will be doing a smaller section and seeing more of the cool stuff to see.

Thanks for the invite! We'll have to keep in touch about routes, times ect.

I'm off to check out your pics.

Hodakaguy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:06 am

Ya, I totally like the support idea. How can you go wrong with having a plush sleeping bag, pad and chair after a ride. I want to go for the perfect ride and really don't care where I sleep. Leaving the gear in a vehicle sounds enticing. Ready to eat meals are not my favorite. Am I whining, oh well. You can always take a picture of where you would have liked to slept.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down