Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NC dual sport rider

Go down

NC dual sport rider Empty NC dual sport rider

Post  Guest Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:14 am

At 25 years old I decided to pull the trigger and buy my first bike. Now I ride every weekend off road and almost everyday somewhere on road. I bought it stock then put all the goodies on myself.
IMS 4.6 tank
Tusk signal handguards and dual sport kit (why does everybody pay more for baja designs?)
trail tech computer and X2 headlight
ROX bar risers (great for me at 6'3")
crf-x rear fender (custom scab on with fender brace)
moto-stylemx graphics
ricochet skid plate
xr's only case saver and magnet drain plug
15 48 gearing top speed 95mph
afx fx-39 helmet (awesome)

soon to come ......
titled frame swap (riding ilegally right now shhhh Wink)
crf forks
17" sm wheels

NC dual sport rider IMGP2158
NC dual sport rider IMGP2161
NC dual sport rider IMGP2150
NC dual sport rider IMGP2151
NC dual sport rider IMGP2152

Back to top Go down

NC dual sport rider Empty Re: NC dual sport rider

Post  Guest Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:19 pm

Nice bike.
The first thing I'd do is loose that hu-mon-gous silencer, and put something decent (and LOTS lighter) on.

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:48 pm

BuRP wrote:Nice bike.
The first thing I'd do is loose that hu-mon-gous silencer, and put something decent (and LOTS lighter) on.
Ignore Burp, he's just bitter cause his bike is better than mine listen up nothing wrong with stock exhaust as long as it's opened up Smile. Nice looking bike not sure about the rear end.....
Did I mention I just brought a brand new stock fender from thr States....just because someone drilled the licence plate holes in the wrong place..... Frustrated NOT ME
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270841725138?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Just got to wait for it to arrive now and hope I miss the import duties lol.

Mauser
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:08 pm

Mauser's got a point, his 'opening up' bit.

You wrote:
"I bought it stock then put all the goodies on myself.
IMS 4.6 tank
Tusk signal handguards and du.." etc etc, but you don't mention any uncorking - you did didn't you?

If not, or if you dunno how, or even if you think I'm kidding (not!) better let us know - because then you're riding a bike which is asthmatic, petty & utterly slow...

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:12 pm

Yeah I am planning on doing something with the exhast but not sure what i want to do. Have you guys seen the headers that go around both sides of the bike instead of in front of the frame? Thats what i really want but cant seem to find them. I have a rack that ripped the nut out of my subframe so I am gonna attach the rack to the fender brace eventually. I cant believe your hating on the crf fender, better than the droopy stock one. The previous owner uncorked the bike and installed a k&n filter (not my favorite). I did have to change the slow jet from 65s to 68s but it didnt seem to change the fact that it wants to overheat easily. Idle also spikes up to like 3k when hot. I just ordered a spal 4" pull fan for that problem. Also bike dosent like to idle. Idles for like 20 seconds or so and randomly goes "ca chunk" and cuts off. It seems to happen right before the light turns green and im kicking like hell to get it started again. Kinda funny but not.
Anyways here are the only two pictures i have of me riding.

i didnt use my depth guage on this one....
NC dual sport rider Xrstuck
NC dual sport rider Xrslingin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:07 am

Ha, LOL, you need to mount a snorkel razz
Sounds to e you need to take the carb off, and check, re-check and rere-check the lot. I'd also set the float-level (find out what the proper way for that is!!) +1mm (19 I seem to remember?) to save you future shite, leaking etc. And mount a fuel-filter, no tank remains clean inside, and small particles cause the problems you mention.
"Not your fave" - Congrats, you've won the Prize for THE understatement of the year!!!!
Bin it Bru, it's rubbish! Wait, let me re-phrase: it's a rubbish filter for an offroad bike. Cotton gauze filters, when clean, pass LOTS of dirt.... until they clog up a bit. It follows that they pass more air (they do - when clean only) than other filter-types, but in dusty environments this goes at cost of your engine.
A foam-filter is your answer, either UNI or TwinAir (or the std H-one, not bad at all). When clean they filter whilst pass plenty of air (actually, the most whilst adhering to good filtration), and when getting filthy the dual layer, the coarser outer, of both brands will still allow very good airflow - with still good filtration.
This bike is not renowned for the fact that it needs overhauls often..... unless you put a crap filter in.

I actually have a k&n, but in my trackbike. Yeah, sure, been into the gravel traps already, but don't make that a habit BRP smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:15 am

Sorry, forgot: check out Big Gun exhausts!
No, not the headers you mention, but if I had to buy I'd buy these, the lhs runs inside the frame. Very well made too. And no, I dunno those headers you mean, well, do but dunno who sells them.

When you've finished cleaning & setting-up the crab put it on, and idle it.
Then wave some gas (not flame... duh!) over the head2carb manifold........ if the revs rise you've got a leak, 'false air', which you need to fix. The rubber manifold is known not to last for 10 years, know it.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:46 pm

Thanks Aurora,

I've mailed Akrapovic, to see if they've still got it.
This brand is the only one I'll trust blind, and have one (CBR600RR) to know it does what it says on the label.

Marc, if a yes then I might have a nigh-on-new ProCircuit T4 with XR'sOn;y SS headers for sale soon Wink
That's also a good-rep system for the Pig (mind, a bit loud), I actually have zero complaints but would prefer the Akra.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:36 am

I found these.....ABP racing headers
http://supermoto-umbauten.de/109/Krümmer.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81mfMTOuZwU&feature=autoplay&list=ULiIOxGQY5uhI&lf=mfu_in_order&playnext=1

Not sure about performance of equal length headers. They look sweet though. I have heard that unequal header length helps low end torque. It will be a while before I can afford exhaust anyway. I need supermoto wheels first.

My buddy has an akropovic pipe on his drz400sm. Didnt know they were that great...
Problem with my bike was air fuel adjustment. Idles great now. Gonna install my cooling fan soon and see if it is enough to keep the beast cool. I wonder how well it is gonna work. I still have to get a switch or some type of automatic sensor to activate it. I will post some pics of install.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:41 pm

motomarc wrote:I found these.....ABP racing headers
http://supermoto-umbauten.de/109/Krümmer.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81mfMTOuZwU&feature=autoplay&list=ULiIOxGQY5uhI&lf=mfu_in_order&playnext=1

Not sure about performance of equal length headers. They look sweet though. I have heard that unequal header length helps low end torque. It will be a while before I can afford exhaust anyway. I need supermoto wheels first.

My buddy has an akropovic pipe on his drz400sm. Didnt know they were that great...
Problem with my bike was air fuel adjustment. Idles great now. Gonna install my cooling fan soon and see if it is enough to keep the beast cool. I wonder how well it is gonna work. I still have to get a switch or some type of automatic sensor to activate it. I will post some pics of install.

Try running Evans NPG series coolants.

Pull all of the caked mud out of your radiators! asking for it

You really need to set up the suspension via springs and shims for your weight and style of riding.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down