Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down

new member Empty new member

Post  Guest Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:04 am

heres my 02 , been overhauling it for something to do while awaiting back surgery,

new member Dscf1311

now running 674cc ross 12:1 modified piston, kelford super motard camgrind, k/white ov/size valves, ported head, fcr carb, custom airbox,& exhaust system, xr400 ign, electrosport twin stator, twin core rads, moto sr revalved shock, eibach .47 kg f/springs, ov/size wavy fr disc, s/steel braided b/lines,ufo black plastics,ascerbis cyclops h/light, led indys +taillight, rebuilt every thing else

Back to top Go down

new member Empty Re: new member

Post  Guest Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:40 pm

Welcome nice

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:41 pm

Nice Kiwi,

and welcome too.
Tell me more about the twin-core rads pls?
Highly interested in getting diff rads than the std one's on mine, hence me Q.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:48 pm

welcome!

more details on the custom airbox please. I see it still uses the original side panel - do you just mean its custom because of the panels holes?

Cheers
SkidMark

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:48 pm

Welcome to the forums....we are a good bunch; just don't try and sell anything to you have posted 500 times or more Bump lol only gesting....I think Smile
Mauser
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:08 pm

the rads are chinese versions, they are apprx same size but have two rows[ coolant tubes] vs one row of std type , they are heavier than std [probly double], ive also eliminated the thermostat housing, replaced it with a handmade 2-1 y connector, + the obligitry 22psi rad cap, dont have a fan , but have considered it, the mtrs in fairly high state of tune, runs fairly hot[ 68degree overlap cam, 275 duration@+50 thou, 395 thou lift max], ive dissected the std air boot at the widest section, made custom plenum that copies that shape, then flows to a 3.5" 90degree ex bend, it enters a custom filter housing, containing as large a k&n pod filter i could fit comfortably inside housing[ approx twice the filtering area of std type k&n panel filter], this is then blended to the std sidecover holder, then the modded black cover. simple really!, not! , took a bit of effort to get it fitting to everything, around everything, the back tyre can still scuff it at max travel[ which ive reduced as im short]

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:04 am

temporary kiwi wrote:the rads are chinese versions, they are apprx same size but have two rows[ coolant tubes] vs one row of std type , they are heavier than std [probly double], ive also eliminated the thermostat housing, replaced it with a handmade 2-1 y connector, + the obligitry 22psi rad cap, dont have a fan , but have considered it, the mtrs in fairly high state of tune, runs fairly hot[ 68degree overlap cam, 275 duration@+50 thou, 395 thou lift max], ive dissected the std air boot at the widest section, made custom plenum that copies that shape, then flows to a 3.5" 90degree ex bend, it enters a custom filter housing, containing as large a k&n pod filter i could fit comfortably inside housing[ approx twice the filtering area of std type k&n panel filter], this is then blended to the std sidecover holder, then the modded black cover. simple really!, not! , took a bit of effort to get it fitting to everything, around everything, the back tyre can still scuff it at max travel[ which ive reduced as im short]

Welcome.

How about posting some pictures of the air box mod?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:57 am

the best thing about what i made is the smooth inside curve / neck

the standard honda plastic box is a horrible airflow stalling mess of conflicting curves & angles

basically the standard airbox doesnt have enough flow potential, the standard panel is just big enough for a standard 48 hp BRP, but AS SOON AS you make that big piston start breathing better you run out of air volume / flow as the revs rise

opening up the side panel is a must once you start going for more max HP - the standard de-choked inlet holes are OK for the standard cam, but the stock powerband is over by 6500 rpm. im revving to 9500 rpm & trying for more top end so i can powerslide at the ton

new member 14wnpfzi.esc

new member 5wyzqcm0.jyx

new member Yfp322yh.ef0

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:41 am

temporary kiwi wrote:the rads are chinese versions, they are apprx same size but have two rows[ coolant tubes] vs one row of std type , they are heavier than std [probly double], ive also eliminated the thermostat housing, replaced it with a handmade 2-1 y connector, + the obligitry 22psi rad cap, dont have a fan , but have considered it, the mtrs in fairly high state of tune, runs fairly hot[ 68degree overlap cam, 275 duration@+50 thou, 395 thou lift max], ive dissected the std air boot at the widest section, made custom plenum that copies that shape, then flows to a 3.5" 90degree ex bend, it enters a custom filter housing, containing as large a k&n pod filter i could fit comfortably inside housing[ approx twice the filtering area of std type k&n panel filter], this is then blended to the std sidecover holder, then the modded black cover. simple really!, not! , took a bit of effort to get it fitting to everything, around everything, the back tyre can still scuff it at max travel[ which ive reduced as im short]

Nice!

From whom did you buy the Chicom radiators? EBay?

Back to top Go down

new member Empty rads

Post  Guest Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:14 am

hi, we have auction site in kiwiland called "trade me", i got the pair for $135nz dollars, which is his buy now price , they have really thick side plates, tig welded tanks, + they are polished,

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down