Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

rear suspension

Go down

rear suspension Empty rear suspension

Post  Guest Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:32 pm

hi I just bought my XR650R and I'm 5'10. I'd like to lower it a one to three inches... what is the easiest way to do this? I know I can just compress the rear spring with the two lock rings, will that get me enough? Is there a better option out there?

Back to top Go down

rear suspension Empty Re: rear suspension

Post  Guest Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:01 pm

HELLRAISER wrote:hi I just bought my XR650R and I'm 5'10. I'd like to lower it a one to three inches... what is the easiest way to do this? I know I can just compress the rear spring with the two lock rings, will that get me enough? Is there a better option out there?

You could lower front suspension adjusting it on triple clamps by about 1" or so.

rear suspension 146_0210_07_z+lowering_your_bike_safely+

If you just compress rear spring you don't get much of suspension.

You could change rear suspension linkage. It's cheap but won't get the best suspension...don't know your needs.

rear suspension 146_0210_03_z+lowering_your_bike_safely+

I wouldn't change a think (easy for me to talk as i'm about 6'1" razz ) ...know a lot of guys some with 5'5" that can't touch even one foot on the ground...where I slow down to try to pass some obstacle they just keep on going. Some times they are lucky some do not BRP smile BRP smile

Some reading:

http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0210_lowering_your_bike_safely/viewall.html[img][/img]

Last edited by babuja on Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:19 pm

HELLRAISER wrote:hi I just bought my XR650R and I'm 5'10. I'd like to lower it a one to three inches... what is the easiest way to do this? I know I can just compress the rear spring with the two lock rings, will that get me enough? Is there a better option out there?

I think you need to slacken the suspension nuts as this makes it softer and will sink more letting you touch the floor.....I maybe wrong however Bump
Mauser
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:15 pm

Get some 17inch rims Bump

must be low enough by then nice

Back to top Go down

rear suspension Empty R/SHOCK

Post  Guest Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:03 am

I HAD A SPACER PUT IN MY REAR SHOCK, IT REDUCES THE TRAVEL SLIGHTLY, IT WAS REVALVED AT THE SAME TIME SO IT SUITED THAT SET UP, GIVES ME ABOUT AN INCH LOWER SEAT HEIGHT

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:50 pm

rikco wrote:Get some 17inch rims  Bump

must be low enough by then  nice
Mine is quite a bit lower than OEM with the 17" wheels and 20mm dropped yokes

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:56 pm

temporary kiwi wrote:I HAD A SPACER PUT IN MY REAR SHOCK, IT REDUCES THE TRAVEL SLIGHTLY, IT WAS REVALVED AT THE SAME TIME SO IT SUITED THAT SET UP, GIVES ME ABOUT AN INCH LOWER SEAT HEIGHT
Was this for your motard? How big spacer? Where does it go? (see pic below).
At the moment the most I can drop the front is about 20mm as then the handlebars are in the way of the forks coming up higher

Going to strip my shock soon (maybe tomorrow) but have to order parts from USA on Monday (may not have shock stripped by then). Are there any parts I should order? Bladder? Anything else?

Ordered fork seals and dust seals for my forks - The 4 sliders are still ok.

rear suspension Untitl11

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:58 am

+1 Bananatool

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:08 am

AURORA wrote:

+1 Bananatool
Will make a huge difference, my friend who's vertically challenged could touch the floor on my bike when I first got it with 17" rims.....13/90/18 soon stopped him lol.
Mauser
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:24 pm

hang on a minute...I'm 5' 10" and yes it is a bit of a stretch getting a leg over (the bike) but once on and it settles I can easily touch the ground. Now do I have soggy suspension or is yours too stiff...I would check your adjustments first and set it up properly before trying to lower it.

Regards
SkidMark

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:43 am

Chris_w_65 wrote:
temporary kiwi wrote:I HAD A SPACER PUT IN MY REAR SHOCK, IT REDUCES THE TRAVEL SLIGHTLY, IT WAS REVALVED AT THE SAME TIME SO IT SUITED THAT SET UP, GIVES ME ABOUT AN INCH LOWER SEAT HEIGHT
At the moment the most I can drop the front is about 20mm as then the handlebars are in the way of the forks coming up higher

Going to strip my shock soon (maybe tomorrow) but have to order parts from USA on Monday (may not have shock stripped by then). Are there any parts I should order? Bladder? Anything else?

rear suspension Untitl11

it must go on top of the rod guide[or under] to stop the piston delivering full stroke

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:38 am

temporary kiwi wrote:
Chris_w_65 wrote:

rear suspension Untitl11

it must go  on top of the rod guide[or under] to stop the piston delivering full stroke
I believe I should replace the rod guide when rebuilding the shock. Is this correct?

Back to top Go down

rear suspension Empty rod guide

Post  Guest Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:35 am

yes id replace it as it contains the seal, the bladder as well if its been in there a while, i beleive from memory the spacer was 10mm thick, but was then halved, with this i can just put one foot on the ground[ im only 5"7] another way to work out how much you will lower it is to divide the std shock stroke [ easy once you've removed the oil/gas] by the full suspension travel[307mm from memory] then you will be able to get the thickness right for your desire

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down