Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

G'day everyone

Go down

G'day everyone Empty G'day everyone

Post  Guest Sun May 05, 2013 6:34 am

Hello
I've just put a deposit on a bike so I can join the XR community. I hope to learn all I can to keep the bike running and improving all aspects of the XR.
Any suggestions or hints to help a new owner get acquainted with the XR would be appreciated.
And may I add, I'm another Aussie! cheers

Back to top Go down

G'day everyone Empty Re: G'day everyone

Post  Mauser Sun May 05, 2013 9:04 am

Get a copy of the manual and some decent tools and start with the basics, chain maintenance, tension etc then move on to changing the oil and filters, these bikes don't require much looking after but it's important that the bits that need doing get it.
On a side note NOT ANOTHER AUSSIE razz
Mauser
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon May 06, 2013 2:41 am

Mauser wrote:Get a copy of the manual and some decent tools and start with the basics, chain maintenance, tension etc then move on to changing the oil and filters, these bikes don't require much looking after but it's important that the bits that need doing get it.
On a side note NOT ANOTHER AUSSIE razz

Welcome.

Grease all of the bearing, especially the swingarm bearing!
Pull apart the paper oil filter and look for metal. Check all of the oil screens.
Set up the suspension for your weight.
Adjust the valves!
Remove the thermostat and use Evan Coolant.

What has been done to your bike?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon May 06, 2013 2:50 am

DONT remove the thermostat , check it and if its broken get a new one . Or enjoy shorter engine life and nice carbon build up inside the engine doh

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri May 10, 2013 5:40 am

I am getting the bike from a dealer so dont know a lot of the history. the suspension has been done, larger tank and thats about all i know.
i have asked for the contact details of the previous owner but the dealer hasnt given me any info yet.
Cant wait to get it!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri May 10, 2013 10:57 am

Never remove the thermostat, and never ever use the Evans coolant, "boilant" would be a better name for it, and no, it'll cook your engine without any visible signs. Engine Ice would be a lot better, but normal coolant is nothing wrong with.
Mind, the rest of Aurora's advice I fully agree with, I'd add that you put anti-seize past on the chain adjusters immediately (they'll snap off if you don't do this).

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum