Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Added a fuel petcock ...

Go down

Added a fuel petcock ... Empty Added a fuel petcock ...

Post  Guest Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:13 am

My BRP came with an IMS 3.2 gal. fuel tank (XR-4 stamped on it).  And of course, the left side sits lower than the right.  Now for me, the ?traditional? method of tipping the bike on its side to get at more fuel basically sux.  I'm middle-aged & don't feel like doing this all the time Frustrated... Smile .
So, I picked up an xtra petcock and installed it.  I read about concerns that the self-tapping screws would be a problem & the fuel has to travel uphill & so on.  But, I decided to try it anyway.  I drilled the hole for the pipe, then used a dremel to smooth the area around the hole for the O-ring.  I then started the screws, backed them out, coated them with Permatex silicone gasket maker, and installed the assembly.  I followed with more Permatex around the base of the petcock.  I hope to get more usable fuel out of the tank this way but gravity may f*ck with me.  And the seal may not hold.  And who knows what else may happen scratch .  The additional fuel filter is probably overkill & may add resistance to fuel getting to the carb but I can deal with that if need be.  Here's a couple pix of the install.  Now if it would quit raining Rolling Eyes ...

Added a fuel petcock ... 2ndPetcock01_zps6f7ffedf

Added a fuel petcock ... 2ndPetcock02_zps1bc60b3f

ACE

Back to top Go down

Added a fuel petcock ... Empty logical isnt it

Post  Guest Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:03 am

i did the same to my new clarke 4.3, previously i had swapped the petcock on my std tank to the l/hand side as it then has more in reserve

Back to top Go down

Added a fuel petcock ... Empty Re: Added a fuel petcock ...

Post  Guest Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:40 pm

I had thought I might want to buy a Clarke 4.3, but if this works I'll probably just buy an additional fuel pak to carry when needed. That way I don't end up with another large tank Smile .

Did you have to install your other petcock with self tapping screws? If so, any leaking?

ACE

Back to top Go down

Added a fuel petcock ... Empty acerbis

Post  Guest Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:21 am

i had an old acerbis f/tank which i removed the petcock from, it had self tappers, drilled hole smaller than normal, use some jb weld to seal

Back to top Go down

Added a fuel petcock ... Empty Re: Added a fuel petcock ...

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down