Which chain breaker and riveting tool for D.I.D 520 ZVM-X

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Which chain breaker and riveting tool for D.I.D 520 ZVM-X

Post  Mad Frosty on Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:42 pm

As in the title which tool is the best and will fit ? As there  are different models on the market
even DID has 3 models 500 , 500R and 501E , i have spend hours researching the net but never found good enough information explaining which tool fits my chain the best .
Any help apreciated lads .Bump
Mad Frosty
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Re: Which chain breaker and riveting tool for D.I.D 520 ZVM-X

Post  Hew on Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:03 pm

Ok. not sure which is best but this looks exactly like the one I have just a lot cheaper.Frustrated 
Take time to understand how it works. When you are removing links/cutting chain to size grind the head of the rivet off first and it works much better. Does a great job of riveting rivet links as well.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cam-Drive-Chain-Splitter-Breaker-Link-Riveter-Motorcycle-NEW-/181116192118?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item2a2b5dc576
Hew
XRR Freak

XR650R Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post  BuRP on Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:21 pm

The best?
The DID tool, which comes in 2 versions: professional (more costly) and not-professional (not as costly).
Both are not cheap but by far the best, and yes I got one. With two spanners you'll break & swage the chain in a superb manner, nothing simpler.
BuRP
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

Post  Mad Frosty on Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:56 pm

Noone seems to have the DID tool , ( some american shops do but the wan...rs refuse to post in europe beat head  ) , no luck on ebay , might give a chance to the cheaper kits on ebay but i am concerned about the fact that DID chain connecting link is using hollow point rivet , which requires different riveting tool and i am not sure if the non DID kits are capable of propper operation with the different DID connecting link Frustrated 
Mad Frosty
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  Hew on Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:01 am

The kit I use, link above, does a good job on splitting and riveting the DID chains I have.
The rod next to the spring flares the point over riveting the link.

Like I said the only down side to the kit is when splitting the 520 chains the head of the rivet really needs to be ground first.
Hew
XRR Freak

XR650R Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post  BuRP on Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:40 am

Maddy,

I know you must be thinking I'm mad, but this is what I did - I went to the chainshop, said 'Hi' to the rather attractive lady there, asked for a DID chain with a 2nd rivet link, and 'oh, chuck in a DID tool too pls'.
I got all I wanted.
Oh, hold on, no, she said no, but at least I walked out with the parts I wanted.
Mind, this was a shop here in SA, hence the likelihood of doing this easier in EU or UK is loads better. I'd take being helped by a bloke for granted even Bump
As said, the DID's the best hence good retailers will sell it, so instead of lazily surfing maybe pick up a phone?
BuRP
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  BuRP on Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:45 am

Hew,

zero offense pls, but I've worked with a number of 'other' chaintools also. The DID is so easy to work with it's uncanny, and the quality of the swage is superb every time. Goes without saying a DID chain will fit like a glove, and as this brand is the only one I buy I thought it wise to invest in this specific tool.
BuRP
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  Mad Frosty on Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:56 pm

Not so simple over here , all shops in my area had closed down , the few remaining ones couple of hours drive and they dont hold much stock ( they have feck all in the shop in plain english ) , plus i work nearly every day ( worked 6 weeks without break ) , and all shops are closed when i finish at work , internet is the only option for me .
I prefer quality and would like the genuine DID tool , but struggeling to buy one , i have found some copies of the DID tool  , i know they are not the same quality but i think it should be good enough for my needs , as i dont change chains very often .

link -
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170819664736?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
Mad Frosty
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top